Stereo system

Discussion in 'Members' Systems' started by Tube Radio, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Tube Radio

Tube Radio Super Member

Here's the stereo system I've been piecing back together over the last year.

Been using it as is for a few months while searching for the right table to hold it all.

Had wanted some TV trays for the speakers so I got two a few days ago.

Was thinking and decided to get TV trays for the rest of the stuff.

Got two today and may get the rest later this week or next week.

Here's some pictures.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Equipment list

1. Bucket sub.
    2. KLH 22A speakers with added Foster tweeter in Auvio cabinets.
    3. BASH 500 watt plate amp.
    4. Lafayette LA-375 with external power transformer and modded for direct input to amp section.
    5. Custom built 70 Hz two way 24 dB/octave active crossover.
    6. Sansui SR-2050C record player
    7. RCA 45 Record changer modded for stereo magnetic cartridge and VCR video head motor drive.
    8. McIntosh C-24 preamp.
    9. AKAI Terecorder 1/2 track mono.
    10. AKAI GX-255.
    11. AKAI EIE PRO sound card.
    12. Part 15 AM transmitter so I can send audio to my antique radios and communications receivers.

Not yet added

1. JVC 1250RUN2 8 track.
    2. DBX 200 Program route selector which is needed for the three tape decks and sound card.

Soon to upgrade the BASH with this

https://www.parts-express.com/dayto...-subwoofer-plate-amplifier-with-dsp--300-8010

Given it has a built in two way crossover I will turn the crossover box into a buffer

1. For the record out of the McIntosh.
    2. For the output of the McIntosh preamp.

Given both have higher output impedances and what they will feed have lower input impedances.

Another benefit of that plate amp is I don't have to set the speaker switch on the Lafayette to remote before turning the system off to keep the crossover from making a noise as its power supply reduces in voltage.

The speakers have a switch on the back to where I can turn the added tweeters off and have the speakers sound as they originally did. It opens the positive connection to the added tweeters and switches the positive connection of the original tweeter from the added choke to its crossover cap. Didn't feel like using the switch to just short the choke.

The backstory on the KLH-22A speakers is that a tree hit the trailer last January and one cabinet was smashed. Found the tweeter in good shape and found the woofer later in ok shape aside from the frame being slightly bent, but not bent enough to affect its operation.

Had the two Auvio cabinets just laying around from a project I had wanted to do, but never got around to. Fit the drivers perfectly. Used them a few months without the added tweeters then two weeks ago I saw one Foster tweeter I had and decided to try it with one speaker. Sounded good enough so I modded both speakers with the tweeters.

Speakers still retain their original sound only the upper treble above 13KHz sounds much better.

One benefit of the TV trays is that if I decide to rearrange the room or I move to another place the TV trays move much easier than a table.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  2. Rome

Rome Holsum Honey Buns Subscriber

Nice pieces!

Rome

3. Audio Fan

Audio Fan First Class, Second Hand Subscriber

A lot of fun stuff there. Finding good audio furniture for older gear is a bit of a challenge.

4. Tube Radio

Tube Radio Super Member

Thanks.

The external power transformer for the Lafayette is there because I found with the original power transformer at full output into an 8 ohm load at 20Hz the B+ sagged a few volts.

Upping the value of the main filter cap helped some, but not enough.

The external power transformer is maybe a volt or two higher, but B+ stays steady at full 8 ohm output at 20Hz. The original power transformer was left connected so that it could operate the pilot light. I used banana jacks to connect the power transformer and it is mounted in the case from an external filter accessory for an EICO battery eliminator/power supply since it was too big to be mounted where the original power transformer is mounted.

The other mod which was a direct input to the amp section involved one 68K resistor to ground per channel and one 150K resistor in series per channel. The signal gets fed to the 150K resistors. That reduces its level since the amp has a higher gain. Also served to bypass the volume and tone controls so that there's less in the signal path and so I didn't have any controls on the amp to set.

Other mod was to use a couple 1/4" jacks for the main speaker outputs.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  5. Nightwisher

Nightwisher Farer In The Goldilocks Zone Subscriber

6. Tube Radio

Tube Radio Super Member

Thanks

Nightwisher likes this.
  7. MarZutra

MarZutra Addicted Member

Nice. Kudos on the bucket sub! Forgot to mention that I like your '30s floor radio!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  8. Tube Radio

Tube Radio Super Member

Thanks.

It's an RCA K-80 console.

Not pictured is a Collins R-390 to the left of the RCA on a speaker box with a 12" field coil speaker in it driven by a push pull 45 amp.

9. MarZutra

MarZutra Addicted Member

Nice. I finally completed the restoration of my 1937 deForest Crosley "Saturn"

10. Tube Radio

Tube Radio Super Member

Awesome.

11. Catmanboo

Catmanboo Member

You got an r-390?:bowdown: haven't seen one of those since late '70's, Karamursel c.d.i. turkey, in the microwave facility on base while stationed there. Back in the day... :rolleyes:

12. Grenadeslio

Grenadeslio Active Member

I like those old Lafayette amps.
    15152992210561238678307.jpg

13. Tube Radio

Tube Radio Super Member

I think the Lafayette amps are real sleepers as many don't really think much of them.

Love the R-390 but it's no band cruiser.

14. Tube Radio

Tube Radio Super Member

As I recall I would up paying nearly $900 including shipping.