Stereophile 24 month promo - is this for real?

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by asilker, Feb 13, 2018.

1. asilker

asilker Bible Reader Subscriber

I keep getting offers in the mail from stereophile for 24 months of issues for $14. Has anyone else seen these? Is it a scam?

Links on the letter takes me to this URL [click at your own risk, it seems like a weird spot to me] savings.stereophile-mag.com

Looks like

Attached Files:

2. +48V

+48V hi-fi or die

3. for_p1

for_p1 Addicted Member

I think legit. They wrre giving two subscriptions for $14. Now looks like one subscription for two years for the same money.

4. qdrone

qdrone Music is my mistress

Great magazine having a subscription years ago. Having not looked at one in decades i wonder if it is keeping up with the newer media like streaming.
    We gotta face the fact that cd format will be abandoned soon and streaming is the future. With 5g coming I'm hesitant to invest in anything unless it integrates with 5g.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  5. muscmp

muscmp Member

magazines? remember them? and newspapers? online is the only way to go today.

play music!

6. dosmalo

dosmalo T-Totaled Subscriber

I remember Hustler best!

darkblue94 likes this.
  7. StimpyWan

StimpyWan AK Subscriber Subscriber

I subscribe to Stereophile and Sound & Vision, and get these offers all the time. But, they're legit.

Both Stereophile and Sound & Vision are owned by the same magazine/publishing company now. The majority of the magazines from this publisher are auto/sports related. Those sell in vastly greater numbers than their stereo/audiophile related offerings. So, that allows for these types of too-good-to-be-true offers, on the Stereophile subscriptions.

Go for it...! :thumbsup:

8. bobschneider

bobschneider AK Subscriber Subscriber

Keep in mind that most magazines get more revenue from advertising sales than from subscribers, and the more subscribers they have the more they can charge for ads. So cheap subscriptions are offset by higher ad rates.

asilker likes this.
  9. E-Stat

E-Stat Super Member

Yes.
    No.
    Done it before.

asilker likes this.
  10. asilker

asilker Bible Reader Subscriber

Cool. I'll be subscribing as soon as we're in the new place

11. WaynerN

WaynerN Super Member

They keep loosing subscribers (myself at least) due to 1) the cost of all the products reviewed, 2) the cost of all the products in their ads, and finally 3) horrible reviews of stuff that I also can't afford (nor can a millionaire). An out of control publication in which they think that a 5K CD player is "affordable".

Out of Touch, out of subscribers and still haven't got the message............

a_retent and asilker like this.
  12. Poinzy

Poinzy Super Member

When I saw Stereophile disregard the results of their own bench test and endorse a product anyway (Jitterbug) I decided, after I stopped laughing, not to subscribe to the magazine.

restorer-john likes this.
  13. JoeESP9

JoeESP9 ESL's & tubes since 83

Here is an excerpt from the actual text written by the Stereophile reviewer. My bold and underline.
    Conclusions
    You can see from the "Measurements" sidebar that I could find no significant effect that the JitterBug had on the analog signals output by three of the DACs I had to hand. Yet with those DACs and others, I heard an improvement in sound quality that I can attribute only to the JitterBug. I hate when that happens!
    Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/audioquest-jitterbug-usb-noise-filter#tlrPtp5EVseiDFE9.99

If you're at all curious get one from Amazon and listen for yourself. If you think it's bogus after actually listening just return it within 30 days and that's the end of it.

FWIW: I have one and use it between my music server laptop and an Emotiva XDA-2.

StimpyWan and stish like this.