Stereophile is lame, irrelevant, and unexciting?

Ahhh. New reviews! :yes:

Thank you, Mr. Pig for your generous spirit and your appetite for knowledge. I look forward to following this saga.

Damn that's cool Mr. P.

Sometimes I feel proud to be associated with this site and you just gave me one of those moments.

A truly generous offer Mister Pig, but at this time I have to decline because:
1) none of my decks are capable of handling 12 inches;
2) I've been listening exclusively to high compliance MMs for the past few years and I'd be concerned about tainted results due to an eM/compliance mismatch;
3) I've finally set-up Smaug (Nak Dragon CT), lucked out and purchased an additional wand, and am looking forward to getting to know it and two cartridges; and
4) there's still the TTS-8000/DV-505 waiting to get into the system.

I think you may have focused too intently on some of my comments and not given enough weight to others. I'm also probably a bit guilty of stating things too strongly just for effect. While I have presently cooled on the Woody it's still the only TA out there that interests me. While it may look kludgey to me that does not make it so. The only way for me to actually know is to try one in my system and there's the rub for me because if I rush to purchase one before Pete's end of year price increase it might easily be a couple years before I actually got around to trying it. Then if I didn't like it I couldn't take advantage of his generous return policy. He who hesitates is sometimes saved (James Thurber).

PM to follow.

Last edited:
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯ `· .¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>‏

Well Mister Pig, Geez, you almost leave me speechless, almost, but I must say, once again you show yourself to be both a more than generous gentleman and an audiophile of a most adventurous spirit.

Alas, I presently have no TT capable of accommodating this length of arm but, that does not mean this is not possible! I will attempt to see what my SMAC brethren (some 300+ and counting) could some how come up with, it terms of the necessary deck. I believe we can. There will also be evidently, the issue of an arm board, I would suspect, to properly bring these two bits together. This is also something I have the resources to design and fabricate. I will need a little time here to make my rounds and see if we can step up and put these pieces together at this end before I would want to take possession. I assure you Mister Pig, we would handle your offer and this TA with tender loving care.

I have several cartridges readily available, and a new cart and another stylus on the way, as we speak. We will have to see what would be appropriate and fitting, and offer the best possible synergy for a most respectable outcome.

This is a very interesting proposition, it thrills me as I am sure that it peaks the interest of those following this thread, and I would love to make it happen, both for my personal experience (would be most gratifying) and to share this with our community both in Audiokarma and our SMAC Hifi group.

I will follow with a PM sir.

Happy (TA) Listening!:beatnik:

The ball is rolling and some contacts have been made.:yes:

Here's hoping you find a deck. More empirical information from users experience will be great.

Thanks nailer. DFW wouldn't happen to be anywhere near Detroit, would it? If so, I would extend an open invitation to join us, if and when this thing comes together...

Cosmologically we're practically neighbors. But Dallas is a fair distance away which is too bad for me because hobby audio is dead here.

Well Mister Pig, Geez, you almost leave me speechless, almost, but I must say, once again you show yourself to be both a more than generous gentleman and an audiophile of a most adventurous spirit.

Alas, I presently have no TT capable of accommodating this length of arm but, that does not mean this is not possible! I will attempt to see what my SMAC brethren (some 300+ and counting) could some how come up with, it terms of the necessary deck. I believe we can. There will also be evidently, the issue of an arm board, I would suspect, to properly bring these two bits together. This is also something I have the resources to design and fabricate. I will need a little time here to make my rounds and see if we can step up and put these pieces together at this end before I would want to take possession. I assure you Mister Pig, we would handle your offer and this TA with tender loving care.

I have several cartridges readily available, and a new cart and another stylus on the way, as we speak. We will have to see what would be appropriate and fitting, and offer the best possible synergy for a most respectable outcome.

This is a very interesting proposition, it thrills me as I am sure that it peaks the interest of those following this thread, and I would love to make it happen, both for my personal experience (would be most gratifying) and to share this with our community both in Audiokarma and our SMAC Hifi group.

I will follow with a PM sir.

Happy (TA) Listening!:beatnik:

Sounds like a plan! Let me know when you got things lined out, and I will get the arm packaged and shipped.

Regards
Mister Pig

The problem with judging speed variation by audition only is twofold. People differ in their sensitivity to speed errors and fluctuations, and some types of music are better at revealing (or concealing) wow and flutter than others. Flutter that is inaudible to Mikey Fremer on a rock recording could be painfully obvious and offensive to a classical listener who likes piano music.

Bingo,

Very true , takes a well heeled TT to better digital on piano music , nothing and i mean nothing shows up speed instabilty and drive with TT's like classical piano or piano music in General ..

Regards

A truly generous offer Mister Pig, but at this time I have to decline because:
1) none of my decks are capable of handling 12 inches;
2) I've been listening exclusively to high compliance MMs for the past few years and I'd be concerned about tainted results due to an eM/compliance mismatch;
3) I've finally set-up Smaug (Nak Dragon CT), lucked out and purchased an additional wand, and am looking forward to getting to know it and two cartridges; and
4) there's still the TTS-8000/DV-505 waiting to get into the system.

I think you may have focused too intently on some of my comments and not given enough weight to others. I'm also probably a bit guilty of stating things too strongly just for effect. While I have presently cooled on the Woody it's still the only TA out there that interests me. While it may look kludgey to me that does not make it so. The only way for me to actually know is to try one in my system and there's the rub for me because if I rush to purchase one before Pete's end of year price increase it might easily be a couple years before I actually got around to trying it. Then if I didn't like it I couldn't take advantage of his generous return policy. He who hesitates is sometimes saved (James Thurber).

PM to follow.

What if i can make arrangements to get a 9 inch version to trial. Still would be the mahogany arm wand, so the mass would probably be in the 10 to 12 gram range. Not sure if I could get it to work, as the arm would not be my personal one. But I might be able to get this together......

Regards
Mister Pig

Good news, thanks to a dear local friend, we have a table.

It is a lovingly reconditioned Lenco B51, on a very sound DIY plinth that appeared first at our 2012 AudioKarma Fest SMAC member room.

More to follow...

Happy Listening! :beatnik:

It is a lovingly reconditioned Lenco B51, on a very sound DIY plinth that appeared first at our 2012 AudioKarma Fest SMAC member room.

More to follow...

That is good news, I will PM you in a day or so to work out particulars of shipping the arm.

Regards
Mister Pig

More to follow...

If I can get my act together, and with a bit of luck, I may have in addition to the B51 a Lenco L70 in a new ply plinth - should theoretically sound better having the heavy platter.

I bought the ply this weekend and made the rough cuts. Now on to the cutouts and glue up. Just need to make room for that 310mm spindle to pivot distance....

I stopped reading magazines pretty much ~15 years ago when the internet was getting popular. Any review in any magazine that is worth reading will end up on the internet anyway.

I also much prefer user reviews of equipment over professional reviews where some advertiser paid some guy to say good things about their junk.

VinylRob,

I read this whole thread and just want to say your posts are refreshing to read amidst what seems to be a lot of attitude up on the AK boards recently.

I look forward to seeing how this plays out.

I personally have a sub to Stereophile and I much enjoy the magazine - I feel their reviews contain useful information in them and if nothing else, give me something to drool over and dream about. :)

Back
Top Bottom