StevenZ's Omega 7 Alnico build

Steven,

Fine effort my full range friend.

Keep us abreast of any changes as those cones mature.

Thanks, I will definitely keep you guys posted as they break in. Times like these make me wonder why I ever ventured away from fullrange drivers.

Had a few extra minutes this morning so I put the spikes on. Looks pretty good but I think the rear ones are kind of useless on my thick carpet. Louis spec'd 5/8" for the rear and I believe 2-1/4" for the front. I may switch out the rear for 1" to aid in spiking into the concrete floor.

Another idea I had was to build a nice wooden base for these and bring them to ear level. I like this idea a little more than spikes and think that it would add a good bit of stability. With the 3-spike method I feel they're a little wobbly due to the spiking issue in the rear.

Anyways, first things first. Next on the line is Howards Feed-N-Wax. Will keep you guys posted and thanks again for the nice comments.

-Steven

Attachments

• 20131016_061253.jpg
    20131016_061253.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 133
  • 20131016_063809.jpg
    20131016_063809.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 142
Well, I've got about 10hrs maybe less on them so it's hard to tell any change in sonic character. Busy schedule lately along with selling my main gear (Inspire KT amp & LP-2 Preamp) has kept me from putting more hours on them.

I'm using my emergency backup currently (Lepai LP-2020A+) and have taken a serious blow in sound quality. While I do see the allure in using this little cheapie, it just doesn't cut it. The music has lost so much body and soul that I'm having a hard time truly connecting emotionally like I was before.

In about 3 weeks I will have my new custom Jack Elliano built Electra-Print 300B integrated amplifier. It'll be interesting to hear these speakers with a SET amp and I think I'm in for a real treat. Until then I'll just use the Lepai to break the drivers in and get them primed up for real amplification.

On a side note, I picked up the Feed-N-Wax and will be rubbing the finish on next week. I also milled some 1.5" x 1.5" hardwood cherry outriggers. I will attach these next week as well. They will add significantly more stability to the speakers and I will replace the current spikes with newer spikes (4 per cab this time). It should look good and function well. Will post photos later next week.

-Steven

Those Inspires went quick! :) Guess you could just let the Lepai run nonstop until your new amp gets here. Cherry hardwood is gonna look great.

Mark

Just a quick update. I went ahead and applied the Howard Feed-N-Wax and I think it turned out pretty good. I applied a pretty heavy coat and the veneer is just soaking it in. I will put more on in a few weeks. Overall it has turned the white maple into a rich golden color. I took the best photos I could but the low light doesn't quite show the massive transformation that these underwent. A few more coats of this stuff and it should have a wonderful golden hue to it.

One thing I did notice is that it raised the grain on the sides. I may have to buy some super fine steel wool and scuff it down and go over it again with the wax. We'll see.

I'll eventually get around to putting on the hardwood cherry outriggers. Perhaps that would be a good project for next week.

Cheers,
Steven

Attachments

• 20131031_184734.jpg
    20131031_184734.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 114
  • 20131031_191329.jpg
    20131031_191329.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 138
Wow, great stuff. I too am interested in a similar set up and am saving the funds for it. I'm hoping to pull the trigger on a Dennis Had amp in the not to distant future.

Sound detailed and fast. There is a little stiffness, but it is necessary that the drivers have worked at least 100 hours.

@Steven, found this thread from Omega site and enjoyed reading it; great work mate. They look superb. Even I'm eying those drivers for a while. Hope to lay my hands on one soon.

@KnyazHM, your speakers look cool. They look dimensionally dissimilar to Steven's speakers. Is the design different? Wish you would start a build thread similar to that of Steven's.

Thanks, I think once you get the drivers in your hand and put them in some good boxes you will like them a lot. They seem to play well with most any type of amplification but with the recent acquisition of my Electra-Fidelity A3-500 (300B SET), it has brought the Omega 7A's up a level in realism. Mainly vocals and bass weight has been improved with a slight taming of the top end.

Thanks for the encouragement Steven. Getting these drivers all the way from US to India is a daunting task which is what is holding me as of now.

BTW, I could safely assume that the speakers would've broken in well by now. How are they playing? Any changes in the SQ from your first impressions?

Back
Top Bottom