Sticky hands, aka Zerodust on the cheeeep

speedle

Peanut gallery owner
OK, so I spent the princely sum of 50 cents and got one of those "Sticky hands" toys out of the game at the mall. It's sticky alright, and based on many anecdotes that this material is really the same as what's in a box of Zerodust, I thought I would give it a try. On my inexpensive styli at first, of course.

Question is, how? I've never seen a zerodust in person, and I can't figure out what to "mount" this stuff in. I know, failure of imagination, for sure.

Any thoughts?

OK, so I spent the princely sum of 50 cents and got one of those "Sticky hands" toys out of the game at the mall. It's sticky alright, and based on many anecdotes that this material is really the same as what's in a box of Zerodust, I thought I would give it a try. On my inexpensive styli at first, of course.

Question is, how? I've never seen a zerodust in person, and I can't figure out what to "mount" this stuff in. I know, failure of imagination, for sure.

Any thoughts?

I just jumped onboard with the sticky octopus! I trimmed all of the tentacles and just let sit on the table in position (not like it's going anywhere). So far I'm thrilled.
Don

I own a Zerodust, and it is the same material as the sticky hands toy. The only thing is I would try to find a clear sticky hands toy, but the others are probably ok. I would just mount it on a little block, or a small box you can close. Best to keep it closed up, as dust will stick to it like crazy.

I would just mount it on a little block, or a small box you can close. Best to keep it closed up, as dust will stick to it like crazy.

That's what I did for my Magic Eraser. I took one of the small clear plastic boxes that some replacement styli come in and cut a piece of ME to size, put it in the box and placed it beside the turntable.

John

I thought I would give it a try. On my inexpensive styli at first, of course.
Question is, how? I've never seen a zerodust in person, and I can't figure out what to "mount" this stuff in.

I am out of the loop here...how is this stuff being used?
Thanks

That's what I did for my Magic Eraser. I took one of the small clear plastic boxes that some replacement styli come in and cut a piece of ME to size, put it in the box and placed it beside the turntable.

John

Geez and I thought I was being original.

While I AM fairly sure the zerodust is something cheap, I'm not convinced that is the same stuff as those toys. You could get a sticky material like that from all sorts of things. The sticky hand toys (at least the ones they had when I was a kid) were oily. They left oily messes on windows, just like real sticky hands. Does the zerodust leave a big mark if you press it on glass? Do they make sticky hand toys out of something else now that doesn't?

I can't find the thread right now that brought the idea to my attention first, but there seems to be lots of folks that "think" it is the same stuff. As far as I know though, no testing or analysis has been done.

Hey, you try getting one of those buggers out of the toy machine! ;)

Actually, if I had more than one, I'd certainly try your test. On the other hand, all my windows are dirty. lol

I'm trying it out on a couple of cheap styli, and right now the results are really positive.
After a few uses, I take a look thru the loupe, and the stylus is immaculate.

Ok, count me in on the sticky hands experiment. I just ordered the most expensive sticky hands from amazon. I think they are original type 12". I resisted the glow in the dark, and sparkled ones, for audiophile reasons. I assume you can cut this stuff, so I can make a little container for it? I would like a little platform to drop the stylus in, between the platter and armrest.

Back
Top Bottom