Stock em or order them.

Dearslayer

Just wonder what most folks do that repair/ restore these Marantz units. Is it better to have on hand a bunch of parts such as caps and transistors etc or is it better to wait and order just what's needed. I'd like to think that if only doing one every now and again maybe it's best to just order what's needed but if doing it all the time them maybe it's wiser to order in bulk to save the cost of shipping plus bulk is cheaper. Does anyone have a list of the more common caps/transistors/ and resistors that are used most often? I know the list may be endless for ALL things audio but what about Marantz in particular.
Whenever I place an order with Mouser I usually try to order a little more than I need just to have some extras laying about but there has to be some that are used most often no?

I'm curious too. I'm SO new to this rebuilding world that I'd love to know how many parts we use are common across most of the models. For example, I got down to the last caps to finish my 2275 rebuild and came up one short. I ordered ten of them last night from Mouser to get a price break but the shipping still ate me up. I would have loved to order more parts just to make this order more "efficient".

So far, I have only worked on 22xx receivers. They share a ton of parts, so starting with my first one, I ordered 10-20 of the cheap components every time I placed an order. I keep them in order in a linear box where they are easy to find. When I start a new unit, I check inventory and usually have most of what I need. I will usually be placing an order for filter caps and relay, so If I find a baggie low, I refill it with another order for that part. This way, I rarely have to stop a project because I forgot one item or something was on backorder.

When ever I put an order in I used to order extra parts. As well as other more common parts.

Transistors and larger filter caps can be a more of a problem to stock up on.

Just order a wide range of 100v audio caps and that should hold you. Or if you ever plan on one day working on a particular piece go look at the schematic and get a parts list ready. Best I can offer????

So far, I have only worked on 22xx receivers. They share a ton of parts, so starting with my first one, I ordered 10-20 of the cheap components every time I placed an order. I keep them in order in a linear box where they are easy to find. When I start a new unit, I check inventory and usually have most of what I need. I will usually be placing an order for filter caps and relay, so If I find a baggie low, I refill it with another order for that part. This way, I rarely have to stop a project because I forgot one item or something was on backorder.
Yes as Steven says, the 22xx receivers and others like 1030, 1040, 1060 share common cap values but there are so many different combinations between models it's impossible to have all the right ones for a upgrade, just build up your supply as you go.

It seems that no matter how many I order there's always a sub that's required somewhere. I'd love to get a list of the most common so I could place a big order and not have to worry so much about " never having the one I need ". Maybe the best way is to just keep ordering extras of new ones that crop up that I don't have.

I stock parts because, over time, I've done lots of restorations.
There are lots of common parts that you can buy in bulk (50-100 at a time) that will result in significant per unit price savings not to mention savings in shipping.
Over the years I've amassed lots of stuff!

A few of the parts you can bet you will use a lot of on any 22xx rebuild:
10uF 25v radial caps ( I buy them 100 at a time because you will use 25+ on a restoration)
.1uF and 1uF 250v Panasonic polypropylene caps
.1 uF, 1 uF, 2.2 uF, 3.3 uF WIMA films
1N4148 diodes (I buy 20 at a time)
1N4005 diodes (same)
KSC1845FTA transistors (20 at a time)
KSC945YTA (same)
KSC1815YTA (same)
KSA992FBU (same)

This is by no means a complete list, but these parts are used widely in Marantz receivers.

A few of the parts you can bet you will use a lot of on any 22xx rebuild:
10uF 25v radial caps ( I buy them 100 at a time because you will use 25+ on a restoration)
.1uF and 1uF 250v Panasonic polypropylene caps
.1 uF, 1 uF, 2.2 uF, 3.3 uF WIMA films
1N4005 diodes (same)
KSC1845FTA transistors (20 at a time)
KSC945YTA (same)
KSC1815YTA (same)
KSA992FBU (same)

This is by no means a complete list, but these parts are used widely in Marantz receivers.

Thanks Steven I do have most of these as extras except maybe the diodes.

I'm gonna review past orders to see what was repeated often ,and maybe place an order to stock some, so if there are suggestions fellas please feel free to let me know. I still have 3 more units do after the current, 2270.

At Mouser, one example, shows 20 of em costing $1.06, but 100 cost $1.90. I went with the 100 quantity discount and blew through that first 20 really quickly, have quite a few left over but saved what 16 cents (not doing the math, just showing how cheap I can be).

I started ordering "extras" after I started doing more and more units.
I now have my own parts inventory.
I work on everything but the parts common to one brand are in other brands.

The problem asking for a "list of common parts" is that a good pile of common parts that will cover 99% of the gear is probably $1000 in parts.
Just a good electrolytic capacitor stash may be well over $500 pretty easy and that will NOT include the big filter caps.

AND it you do some speaker work or tube work once in a while, that is a whole other pile of spare parts to keep around.

A well setup bench with a good parts selection is a few thousand dollars.
I think its just something you need to grow over time.

I started ordering "extras" after I started doing more and more units.
I now have my own parts inventory.
I work on everything but the parts common to one brand are in other brands.

The problem asking for a "list of common parts" is that a good pile of common parts that will cover 99% of the gear is probably $1000 in parts.
Just a good electrolytic capacitor stash may be well over $500 pretty easy and that will NOT include the big filter caps.

AND it you do some speaker work or tube work once in a while, that is a whole other pile of spare parts to keep around.

A well setup bench with a good parts selection is a few thousand dollars.
I think its just something you need to grow over time.

I realize that it's a cost factor and that a good inventory is built over time for sure,and given the fact that I'm not even wet behind the ears yet being a rookie, it will take me a very long time to have even a mediocre set up. A little at a time is key I guess.

Ya, give it a few years (or a dozen units) and if you over-order cheap\common parts, you'll end up with quite a bit of stuff you can use.

I'm worried I'll keep building up stock and not getting it down... but I just do this as a personal hobby (maybe when I retire, I'll start asking for money, instead of doing friends work for free).

Ya, give it a few years (or a dozen units) and if you over-order cheap\common parts, you'll end up with quite a bit of stuff you can use.

I'm worried I'll keep building up stock and not getting it down... but I just do this as a personal hobby (maybe when I retire, I'll start asking for money, instead of doing friends work for free).

I totally agree with you. I currently have a very small collection but nowhere near enough to complete even one unit completely. I like yourself do it mostly for myself because I enjoy it. Just never enough time. Retirement is only a few years away I hope so maybe by then......

I totally agree with you. I currently have a very small collection but nowhere near enough to complete even one unit completely. I like yourself do it mostly for myself because I enjoy it. Just never enough time. Retirement is only a few years away I hope so maybe by then......
LOL, in a few years, you and me both will be trying to figure out how much to charge for refurbs.

I have noticed that as I repair\refurb more for friends, they tell other people and those others want to pay me for the service. So far, I'm turning it all down (there's at least two guys who may wait until I change my mind!).

I try to have some stock, since my orders takes almost two weeks (diodes, caps, outputs, to-220, 92), but the biggest pita is a nice resistors stock.... Always have to order

I have a crazy good parts inventory because I used to buy a lot of surplus. The problem is I now have many bags of caps and such that, even though they measure great, are pushing 10-20 years old, and should be thrown out. I'd never use those in work for somebody else, but won't hesitate on my own stuff. Whenever I order smaller parts from Digikey or Mouser, I'll go for a decent price break and order at least 10, but often 100. I also check the closeouts at Allied and lay in a stock of anything that looks useful- sometimes great savings there. Large snap cans are usually enough that I buy per project, but every now and then the closeout deals will be good enough to get a dozen or so. Fortunately, for all practical purposes, resistors don't age, so I almost always buy 200 of the 1/4 W 1% metal films.

Tricks that may help build a store.

When buying caps, buy spares. Small caps, go for lots of 10 or 25. Larger caps, ($1+ ones), get twice as much as you need if not a 10 pack.
Get 100 1N4148 diodes.
Get 100 KSC1845
Get 100 1uf 50V electrolytic caps
You'll use this pile up no problem.
10uf 16V show up a lot also.

When getting replacement transistors, do a search here on the ones you going to order. If you see a LOT of pages talking about them, you may want to stock up.

Resisters? They suck. I have 100,000 and never seem to have the one I'd really like. Luckily, I don't need them often.

Zeners? Start at 3V and get every value up through 15V or 20V. I think I had to make an order every damn time I needed a zener.
You can use zener in series to get the value you need if you have a few assorted ones.

Back
Top Bottom