Stoopid question maybe but you Dual guys here might help...

olddude55

Applies to 1219s and 1229s Q and non-Q.
The single/multi play lever broken dearing ring thing...what does the rubber washer do that causes so much bad stuff to happen? It's not a spring, is it?
When it hardens or gums up, does it prevent the two ball bearings from turning?
I'm rehabbing a 1219. Dearing ring is intact but the single/multi lever is stuck on single play. I know better than to force the lever, but when I look at the rubber washer (which has harden up pretty good), can't figure out what it does that causes the ears to break off the dearing ring.

I'm not sure if I'm following your question very well, but the rubber ring that goes around the ball bearings holds them in. A shaft rides inside that assembly and the ball bearings may me stuck from old grease and dried rubber. It should be full disassembled, and cleaned then relubed. With a new pliable rubber ring and clean bearings, the shaft will snap up and down with ease. Most Dual 1229 variants all have the same issues, so much that you can almost count on it and just go ahead and order the parts. Take a close look at your speed adjust assembly to make sure it isn't cracked.

Got it. Thanks.
How do I get the old washer off? Cut it with an X-Acto blade?

Last edited:
I would not destroy or discard any part of a turntable. Disassemble what you need to and retain all the parts. You might have a merry old time finding a replacement for something that's been ruined. If nothing else, keep that ring as intact as possible as an example of what you need to get.

The 1219's dearing ring is fine. The single-multiplay lever is stuck on single play, but the dearing ring is intact and I'm not going to mess with the lever as it is. My inclination is, don't mess with it at all. Don't replace the rubber washer, etc. I'm not going to stack records anyway.
But if I did need to replace the rubber washer, how hard is it, and what does that washer do other than retain two ball bearings?

Last edited:
When my rubber ring started cracking on my 1229, I just snugged a tiny cable tie around it, and it is still working just fine, a few years later.

The rubber ring on my 1219 is intact but hard as a rock. Obviously the grease is gummed up too because the single-multi play lever won't budge unless I force it (and I'm not gunna do that).
So if the rubber washer isn't broken or cracked, what's the best way to remove it?
Again, I don't think I'm going to fool with this because I'm not going to stack records and I'm nearly ready to put the 1219 in service, but in case I need to change the rubber washer, do I carefully cut the old one out?

It is good that you know that the first three rules of Dual maintenance and restoration are:
1) Don't force any levers or controls
2) Don't force any levers or controls
3) Don't force any levers or controls
;) ;) ;)

Since you plan to leave the single/multi-play setting where it is on single-play, are you aware of the old lube behind the hard rubber ring is causing an actual problem? In other words, do you need to get the ring off to solve a problem, or just to do a thorough refurb?

I haven't removed the rubber ring on mine, so I will let someone who has done that advise you on the best process. Alternately, you might consider trying to soften the old lube. A drop or too of very light, possibly synthetic, machine oil might seep in and begin that process. I wouldn't use any kind of penetrating oil or WD40 as those have more kinds of solvents in them that might have unexpected affects on the rubber. Rubbing alcohol dries and hardens rubber, so I would avoid it too.

olddude55 -- Can't offer any useful advice but I love your avatar -- kitties are the funniest people! :)

It is good that you know that the first three rules of Dual maintenance and restoration are:
1) Don't force any levers or controls
2) Don't force any levers or controls
3) Don't force any levers or controls
;) ;) ;)

Since you plan to leave the single/multi-play setting where it is on single-play, are you aware of the old lube behind the hard rubber ring is causing an actual problem? In other words, do you need to get the ring off to solve a problem, or just to do a thorough refurb?

I haven't removed the rubber ring on mine, so I will let someone who has done that advise you on the best process. Alternately, you might consider trying to soften the old lube. A drop or too of very light, possibly synthetic, machine oil might seep in and begin that process. I wouldn't use any kind of penetrating oil or WD40 as those have more kinds of solvents in them that might have unexpected affects on the rubber. Rubbing alcohol dries and hardens rubber, so I would avoid it too.
I haven't played any records yet. Deck needs a steuerpimple, and like a dope I ordered one instead of just making one.
As far as I know, the gummed up washer isn't hurting anything. Somebody told me I should change so the next person who owns the deck doesn't break the dearing ring but I'll be dead by then so why worry?
And NO WD-40!!! On anything at any time.

Last edited:
George,
The rubber will snap into pieces of you place a little screwdriver underneath. Stop pussy-footing around and do the repair properly.

I haven't played any records yet. Deck needs a steuerpimple, and like a dope I ordered one instead of just making one.

Keep the inclination to make a steuerpimple on standby.

Not long ago I acquired a 1249 in need of that so made one from inner co-axial cable insulation - the old standby. It worked fine but since the intention was selling the table, I thought I'd get a proper one to save a new owner from a DIY failure. Got the new "pimple" and it was fine for a few cycles but soon the tonearm started misbehaving again. Turns out the new "pimple" tore in two - the material was too soft.

On again went the homemade one and the TT is back in business.

I buy those things from Germany in bags of 20. They are quite durable and grippy. My home-made ones were disappointing.

I wasn't happy with my steuerpimpel making attempts. I found a fellow on ebay who was selling pairs of them for a more reasonable price than most of the others, and bought a pair, one for the lower one that most often needs replacement and one for the push rod that lifts the tonearm. They work much better than mine did.

I buy those things from Germany in bags of 20. They are quite durable and grippy. My home-made ones were disappointing.

Those you get from Germany, are they pink?

One like that was sent to me from someone who also obtains in quantity from Germany but as previously mentioned, it failed. Because it was soft, I thought it might have perhaps been too grippy.

They are hard and gummy. Translucent white. Very well designed and very adhesive. Have never lost one because it is too grippy, as you called it.

Back
Top Bottom