Stopped in a record shop and holy crap!

I stopped in there this weekend. The only thing I walked out with was a Led Zep Celebration Day box set (sounds great).

The prices were actually pretty reasonable considering he has to make a profit.

I stopped in there this weekend. The only thing I walked out with was a Led Zep Celebration Day box set (sounds great).

The prices were actually pretty reasonable considering he has to make a profit.
If I had had more time, I would have walked out of there with some vinyl too. Fun place!

Awesome! Love those type places. Favorite when we lived in central IL is Recycled Records in Springfield. Owner Mark is a great guy - I supplied him with lots of gear &tt's so when I bought something I wanted from the shop it was a smokin deal!
Was back visiting family last weekend & really wanted to go there but didn't get chance - bummer.

There's a record shop in my town that sells some equipment. They don't have the collection like this, but the prices they sell at are much lower. They monitor CraigsList and the thrift stores looking for the score then clean them up and sell them for what they really should have been sold at. I bought a set of EPI speakers off of CraigsList where they had already contacted the seller and tried to low ball him. He had them at a bargain price and wasn't going to go any lower.

We have only one small shop in the city where they sell vintage equipment and vinyl records, but their prices are also high and I understand that. So I bought all my equipment at an auction in Japan or Ebay.

Las Vegas, Nevada has "Xtreme Audio". It's primary business is electronic repairs but the small store is floor to ceiling Classic Audio.
This is good to know. My son lives in Vegas, and the next time I’m out there I’ll have to check the place out!

No wonder I can't find any equipment in Goodwill or flea markets anymore. Places like these stores snapping them up for pennies, and trying to resell them to chumps like me for dollars.

Reviving a 2yr old thread. Nice.

We have a store like this in town. It is located in strip center, with easy access, and on a busy road. The shop is packed floor to ceiling with equipment, in rows so tight it is difficult to move around. Prices are -very- high, in some cases higher than new. Examples: A single mono Heathkit W5 and WA-P2 combo. Unrestored. $1000. Fisher X202 and FM100. Unrestored. $2000. Harman Kardon CitV with rust and mixed set of tube. Unrestored. $3000. Adcom 535MK2 $500. Rega P6 TT $900. Original Large Advent, in need of refoam. $750. Owner says his stuff is serviced, but if you look closely it is not. Most of the inventory is low to mid level 70s-2000s SS. Very little tube equipment, very few high end pieces. 1 or 2 McIntosh amps, a few large Pioneer receivers and the rest is mostly dreck. I have been in a few times, and seller says business is good. But I see the same equipment, gathering dust in the same locations each time I visit. I advertised some vintage equipment on CL that was serviced. The owner of the store contacted me to ask if I repaired equipment, or who did I use for repairs. After a few exchanges, I figured out who he was. I commented that I thought his equipment was advertised and sold as serviced. He did not reply.

This is a big thing now, audio "headhunters" are buying up gear on platforms and either selling it to these stores or flipping it. I was in a store here checking things out and 3 different guys came in with 3 different car loads of gear for the store....it was crazy. They try to low ball the regular people selling, just so they can take it to their store buddy and mark it up big time. Business I guess. If they have the gear serviced and offer a warranty of some kind, and you can use a credit card...it may not be a bad idea to buy from a store...if the price is right. I love looking at all the vintage gear!

Back
Top Bottom