Storing speakers

Delta17

Hello all, I have a question about storing speakers.

Can they be stored safely in a Barn in New England? I can keep out the mice etc, and protect against mildew and mold. My concern is radical temperature shifts, and if that's something that will be detrimental.

It's why they aren't in my attic, Though the temp swings there are more extreme.

Thanks.

Cabinets could take a beating. Hot/cold/humidity/no humidity. The cones may absorb moisture and discolor. I did have a pair of speakers sit in the garage for 18 months unprotected, except for a blanket over the top, with no ill affects, except a squirrel stashed a walnut in a port, and they got little dusty.

As temp goes up and down, so does relative humidity. Wood expands and contracts as RH goes up and down. Glue can harden and soften as temp goes up and down, depending on the temps. These things can cause problems.

Try to put the cabs in their own "environment"......come up with something similar to a guitar case for the speaker cabs that way changes in temp will be slow and gradual for the cabinets.

What speakers are you storing? But I imagine it would be ok for a short time in a pinch but not for a long period.

I use to have a nice system out in a shed that was not heated continually. I had a heater out there and would fire it up on Saturday morning, so
by the time I was ready to jam-on-it that evening everything was warm. This was a Saturday night ritual for 4 years or so.
Didn't seem to cause any issues with the equipment.

I thiink it would depend largely on where you reside. I have speakers in an unheated basement but the temperature swings are never more than 20 degrees between the peak of summer to the depths of winter. Plus those changes occur over long periods of time.

Thanks for replies. I don't know which speakers at moment, I just know I need to store some gear in my barn, cuz the house is getting to cluttered.
Barn is post and beam, so what you see from inside is just the outside wall. No heat. (I have a wood stove to install, but that's not really a reliable climate control, unless it's lit. And that will be only when i'm there.)

I'm just outside Boston, temp swung 40 degrees Saturday alone.

May rethink things.

Thanks again for input.

Last Saturday when we had that crazy temperature swing here in NE everything in my metal unheated garage got soaking wet from condensation. More than likely it won't be as bad in your wooden barn but I would cover the speakers with a sheet or a blanket and not leave them out there any longer than is necessary. Especially if they're speakers you intend to put in your living room at some point.

That is my over primary concern, condensation. I don't want to take chances.

thanks for the info

Guitar style cases that are nearly air tight and insulated is the solution. If thats not gonna happen, then this is a bad idea.

Back
Top Bottom