Streaming question

Mkjr1982

I'm just trying to find the best option for getting the best sound when I hook my phone up to my stereo 4 streaming audio. I don't care about Bluetooth I can hook my phone up with an auxiliary cable but I noticed you get a variance between songs I was wondering if they make something that makes the audio more stable and leveled out.

You can buy this: https://www.amazon.com/Ugreen-Plate...d=1484861626&sr=8-2&keywords=rca+to+headphone

...and plug it into your headphone jack of your phone. Connect the two RCA male ends to AUX input on the back of your receiver/amplifier.

OR...

Buy a Chromecast Audio for $35 and stream all of your music... on phone, Pandora, Spotify, etc.... wirelessly through the Chromecast device.
https://www.google.com/chromecast/a...edium=cpc&utm_content=bkws&utm_campaign=audio

I've done both and both do a great job. The Chromecast device frees you up from managing cables... although the CCA will need the cable I mentioned first, but instead of plugging it into your phone, you plug it into your CCA, and then the two RCA cables connect to any input (not phono) on the back of your receiver/amp.

I think the OP is looking for a way to equalize the volume from song to song so that one doesn't blast while the next one is too quiet causing one to always chase the volume up and down. I think if there is a solution on a smartphone it would lie in the music app itself. I just checked Power Amp app I have on my phone but didn't find this feature. I now play my music direct from my computer and JRiver has an outstanding feature that keeps the volume output constant from track to track, even with random playlist which are the worst for volume chasing.

Otherwise what the OP indicated, using a simple RCA adapter from the phone's headphone analog out to the RCA jacks on the amp works pretty darn well and probably has the best quality output.

I think the OP is looking for a way to equalize the volume from song to song so that one doesn't blast while the next one is too quiet causing one to always chase the volume up and down.
Yep. I concur with your guess. What he is after is audio normalization.

While the OP does not specify here what his source is, a cursory search on his most recent postings notes he's using Spotify. Spotify has an option in their settings to enable normalization. Turn it on, turn it up, party on!

iPhone or Android? Music source? Does your stereo have digital inputs or just analog? Are you asking for a wired or wireless solution?
I believe my stereo has just analog inputs. I guess I'm of the old school thinking that wired it's still better than Wireless for quality of sound. I've been looking at the dragonfly red I like the fact that it's portable and I can use it if I'm listening to headphones.

Yep. I concur with your guess. What he is after is audio normalization.

While the OP does not specify here what his source is, a cursory search on his most recent postings notes he's using Spotify. Spotify has an option in their settings to enable normalization. Turn it on, turn it up, party on!
I use Spotify Pandora and now Tidal which I'm really impressed with so far.

Don't be so certain that wired is better than wireless when it comes to sound quality. After all, Spotify's top bit rate, 320 kbps, is only available to premium service subscribers. Otherwise, Spotify's bit rates are either 96 kbps or 160 kbps. You have to remember, though, that if you're using your phone's analog output, then the quality of the sound you end up with is, to a large degree, dependent on the quality of your phone's DAC.

Similarly, if you were a Pandora user, you'd have a variety of bitrates available (and this is from Pandora's Help page):

Pandora on the Web plays 64k AAC+ for free listeners and 192kbps for Pandora One subscribers. All in-home devices play 128kbps audio, and mobile devices receive a variety of different rates depending on the capability of the device and the network they are on, but never more than 64k AAC+.​

I'd look for an external DAC solution that lets you either go wireless or use your phone's USB out. I can actually get a B&O DAC module for my phone, but most of what I read recommends using a different DAC than the B&O solution.

Don't be so certain that wired is better than wireless when it comes to sound quality. After all, Spotify's top bit rate, 320 kbps, is only available to premium service subscribers. Otherwise, Spotify's bit rates are either 96 kbps or 160 kbps. You have to remember, though, that if you're using your phone's analog output, then the quality of the sound you end up with is, to a large degree, dependent on the quality of your phone's DAC.

Similarly, if you were a Pandora user, you'd have a variety of bitrates available (and this is from Pandora's Help page):

Pandora on the Web plays 64k AAC+ for free listeners and 192kbps for Pandora One subscribers. All in-home devices play 128kbps audio, and mobile devices receive a variety of different rates depending on the capability of the device and the network they are on, but never more than 64k AAC+.​

I'd look for an external DAC solution that lets you either go wireless or use your phone's USB out. I can actually get a B&O DAC module for my phone, but most of what I read recommends using a different DAC than the B&O solution.
Oh I know where this technology has come a long way. I was looking at using the dragonfly red as a DAC. I have a full subscription to Spotify Pandora One and then I did the one month trial hi-fi subscription with tidal.

The Chromecast Audio device has a decent DAC built in. If you use the CCA, the DAC in the phone is bypassed.

Is it possible to play the ESPN app on my iphone through CCA to my vintage amp?
Assuming it's a video app, and that it supports Chromecast, you'll need the HDMI Chromecast with an HDMI Audio Extractor (lots of them on Amazon). You won't be able to watch anything this way, though...

Back
Top Bottom