Stupid knob help - Panasonic RE-8190

badasscat

I have recently acquired a Panasonic RE-8190 quadraphonic 8 track deck and receiver combo. It's really cool, but it has a loose tuning knob that kind of just flops around (though it does still work, mostly). When I opened the unit up to replace the belt on the 8 track motor, I found a little metal clip that I can only assume came off the knob somewhere. It doesn't look like anything else is broken otherwise.

The two problems I have are that I have no idea how this is *supposed* to go together or why the clip would have fallen off (which would help me to know if it was the only problem or if something else is missing), and also I have no idea how to access the internals of the knob itself, which I assume I need to in order to fix this. I can't find a service manual online. So if anyone has any experience with taking the faceplate off on this thing, I'd appreciate it.

A couple pics:

20170318_173012_zpsvry5kohd.jpg~original

20170318_172855_zps3cmsimxp.jpg~original

If I need to unscrew that plate above to get access, it seems basically impossible. There's no real way to get my fingers in there without removing everything around it, which seems very complicated due to the design of this thing. So I'll probably just forget it if that's what I need to do. But I'm really hoping the clip goes in from the front and there's some easy way to get at it from there.

Thanks!

I doubt that was from the knob. That looks like something they'd put between the faceplate and chassis, maybe at the top where the screw is. Do you see any more of those around the screws? There's normally a couple if they used them.

I doubt that was from the knob. That looks like something they'd put between the faceplate and chassis, maybe at the top where the screw is. Do you see any more of those around the screws? There's normally a couple if they used them.

Hey, sorry for the delay. When I read this, I almost had a forehead-slapping moment. Yes, it does look like something I'd normally see between a screw and something else. But I don't see where it would have come from.

How are knobs like this typically held on? I mean there's no pot or anything to be screwed in anywhere, and without being able to take the faceplate off, I can't even tell what's supposed to hold it on. There's that metal plate in the pic above and then about 1mm between that and the faceplate that I assume must have some kind of clip or something that would normally be holding the knob on, but I'm not sure.

It's a dumb problem I know, but I'd love to get this thing totally back in 100% condition.

that part looks like a retaining clip .. maybe there are tell tale marks on it or something is loose like a shaft ...
reminds me of a brake hose retainer on a car .

That definitely looks like a retaining clip. I'd see if you can access the other side of the tuning shaft, where it pokes through the chassis and I bet you'll find that it has a slot cut around it to fit that clip.

Looks like thats the ticket. To small for the phone jack.

Yamaha pre-amps use a similar clip for the phone jacks. Its hard to judge size from the photo.

tuning knob flopping around might be a good clue or just a red herring . i would expect a nut on a tuning shaft .
its being copper is making me think it has to maintain a good electrical connection.
just had a thought .... have seen similar on open tuning capacitors

Well I think we might be flipping things around now... as far as I can tell there's nothing else loose or broken on this thing, so if the clip *isn't* from the tuning knob, then I'm not really too concerned about it. Maybe it did fall off a case screw or something, but it doesn't seem to be affecting anything. In other words the clip isn't really what I'm concerned about, the tuning knob is. I just assumed initially that they were related since the knob's loose and here's this clip floating around inside the case.

But if not, then I just need to figure out how the knob would have been held on. Nut kinda makes sense, but then where is it?? Maybe fell out of the case somehow, I guess. Is there any piece of hardware I could just jury-rig on there to hold it on, even if it's not like it originally was? This is just a cosmetic/feel thing, so I just want it to look right from the outside. I'd love to really get the thing apart but it just looks like there are about a million things I'd need to disassemble before getting to that knob, some of which I'm not sure I'd be able to get back together. Might have to actually buy the service manual...

Back
Top Bottom