Stylus for Shure M91ED

I am working my way through this forum. I have read that Normarh needles are great and terrible. Same for Tonar even as they are said to be made by Nagoaka in Japan. TEI gets praise and, like Normarh, are made in Colombia. The Swiss can't seem to make a good stylus. I have an EVG Swiss n95ed that took a long time to break in and has to track ar 2 grm or it is sibilant, recommended .75-2 grm. Oddly the tip is .35x.7 mil. An n447 and n55e by Phanstiehl played but the grip almost dragged on the record. My dad's m91 and the r27ed I just aquired both have the paint rubbed off on the bottom, Phanstiehls?

Tonars sources from JICO. Nagaoka does not make an extensive line of aftermarket styli. TEI sources from Normarh AFAIK. There are not two South American styli manufacturers. I have EVG/Swiss that are excellent. How can you confirm the tip is .35 x .7 mil ? If you are referring to the listing on VOM, it is a typo AFAIK. Pfanstiehl sources from the same Swiss manufacturer as does EVG, Tonar, Thakker, and others. The Swiss manufacturer has more models of conicals than JICO.

Ah...I avoided mentioning that TTN buys Tonars. LOL. I did not say that Nagaoka makes NO styli, I stated that they do not have an extensive line of aftermarket styli. Most mag styli that Tonar sells are JICO sourced. No retailer can source from just one manufacturer if they want to supply everything that is out there. BTW...good find !

I bought one for my Goldring Elektra which was on my Music Hall MMF 2.2 and it was in a Tonar box. Great stylus as good as the original. Rumour at the time was that Tonar/Nagaoka made the Elektra for Goldring.

Last edited:
I bought one for my Goldring Elektra which was on my Music Hall MMF 2.2 and it was in a Tonar box. Great stylus as good as the original. Rumour at the time was that Tonar made the Elektra for Goldring.

I had a Goldring Elektra over a decade ago. Excellent cartridge. ( I go by the sound, not the price).

Turntableneedles.com m91ed 'Bliss' stylus is Japan, non-Jico sourced with the tie-wire: https://www.turntableneedles.com/Sh...r-Shure-M91ED--our-Needle-761-DED_p_1390.html

Also be aware the Jico m91ed is reported to be exactly the same stylus as the m91e ... just a different colour and a different price.
Nagaoka does or did make n91ed. I never said they made no aftermarket styli. I stated that the selection is very limited. It could also be a Tonar sourced from JICO.

Hmmm .. I don't know who makes the Bliss other than it isn't Jico. I didnt say anything about Nagaoka or Tonar. But it doesn't quite jive with TTN buying styli made by Jico through Nagaoka/Tonar since their own product don't have tie wires. Not sure why they would order an upgrade to resell.

I note you state Electro Voice made by Jico had tie wires. Maybe the old EVG so you might get a NOS version but not for Russell Industries EVG. They didn't have them.

I noticed lptunes Jico prices are all over the place. N92e is $40 to replace 1000e, $29 elsewhere. N91ed $25 or $50, n75ed for a RS cart $30 blond grip $35 black $50. Others have noticed this and most of the cheaper ones are sold out. They also have their own brand, not up to Jico quality, I assume. 12 pages just for Shure. Wonder if the prices will go up when they restock. Interesting that the Bliss have tie wires.

Just ordered another n97lt. I had tried it in a p-mount and it was ok, excellent in my v15rs. I'm rotating 3 n91s on my other table, have to try it there. He also has n97b w/brush, telescoping cantilever, .6 mil tip. Just raised the price $3 though.

Hmmm .. I don't know who makes the Bliss other than it isn't Jico. I didnt say anything about Nagaoka or Tonar. But it doesn't quite jive with TTN buying styli made by Jico through Nagaoka/Tonar since their own product don't have tie wires. Not sure why they would order an upgrade to resell.

I note you state Electro Voice made by Jico had tie wires. Maybe the old EVG so you might get a NOS version but not for Russell Industries EVG. They didn't have them.

But who is this mysterious other Japanese manufacturer ? I know distributors who would love to know. I stated the old EV styli had tie wires. NOT current EVG. Current EVG are Swiss. EVG does not stockpile styli so they only sell what is in current production for popular mag cartridges. That is not to say that other distributors and retailers are not selling styli that may have been built to higher standards 10/20 years ago. I can still buy 50+ year old styli. Lots of possibilities out there. I wish Jelloalien1 would chime in and let us know if any Tonars have tie wires. Again, it could be dependant on upon when they were made.

Thanks for this wealth of info .... can we delete the thread now so all of these styli don't disappear!

:rflmao:

Last edited:
Just for the record, EVG Japan styli did not have tie wires. That's the point I was making.

I've secretly heard that the more Tonar styli people buy, the more kittens god allows the world to have. And who doesn't love cute kittens!?! Am i right?!

Nice thread. I always find these things go in circles as japan likes to be far too mysterious :)

@oldman54, interesting points you bring up about the pfansteil styli. I've also found that the suspension seems softer than it should be based on the vtf range. The grip on my Shure replacement 4740-D6C is pretty darn close to rubbing on the record surface, especially at the lead in with the raised lip of the record. This is at 4gr, the stylus is supposed to be able to track up to 5gr. I can't see it being able to do that.

My friend had an ADC cart with a pfansteil stylus installed on a cheap BSR changer. The stylus was supposed to track 2-4gr. If it was set higher than 2.25gr the suspension would sag so much that the grip would rub on the record. The problem was that the BSR needed more than 2.25gr to trip the mech at the end of the record.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom