Stylus for Shure M91ED

Stereoneedleslady on Ebay still has 6 Japan made styli for the M91. Note the black dot on the cantilever. No affiliation
https://www.ebay.com/itm/EVG-PM3136...h=item2f245022db:g:SHcAAOSwEZdaC32Z:rk:1:pf:0

I recommend contacting her first to confirm that what she is currently selling. The photos and description may be "stale". I purchased my first EVG Japan (JICO made) M75 replacement stylus from her in March, 2017. When I was looking for more in March, 2018 her eBay listing still claimed she was selling JICO made EVGs and the photo had the black dot on the cantilever, but after a couple emails, it was confirmed that what she was selling at that time no longer matched the photos/description in her eBay listing. Of course, that was a stylus for the M75 series and not the M91, but always best to double check.

eBay makes it so easy to relist items with the click of a button some users, especially ones with LOTS of listings, don't always remember to update descriptions and photos. I'm not suggesting Carole is dishonest in any way. In fact, in my dealings with her, I have found her to be quite honorable. So, either she does still have a few of the JICO made M91 EVGs in stock, or she doesn't and it's an honest oversight. An email should clear things up. Always best to be sure.

Edit: I just looked at Carole's listing for the PM3136DE and compared it to other listings for the current Swiss made EVGs. Given that her price is a little higher, she may still have a few of the JICO made EVGs in stock. She is usually a price leader on most things she sells. If these are JICO made EVGs, get them while you can.

Last edited:
^^^^Probably a good idea. The products I have received from her have always been as advertised, although no one is perfect.

^^^^Probably a good idea. The products I have received from her have always been as advertised, although no one is perfect.

It never hurts to double check, especially given the transition from Japanese made EVGs to Swiss made EVGs. I know Gary at The Voice of Music stocked up on Japanese made EVGs as soon as he learned that JICO was no longer going to be supplying EVG. The nice thing about his web site is it always lists where his stylii are made. That makes it easy to figure out exactly what you are getting when you order from him.

Wow I got lucky! Black dots on my cantilever too. Glad I didn't wait any longer!

Like I said, not the final word in vinyl reproduction but if this was the only cartridge/stylus combo on a desert island I would be A-OK

I received mine today with a black dot, so I'm in. I bought it when 6 were left and got lucky.

Wow I got lucky! Black dots on my cantilever too. Glad I didn't wait any longer!

Like I said, not the final word in vinyl reproduction but if this was the only cartridge/stylus combo on a desert island I would be A-OK
Let it break in and it will sound quite of bit better. About 30 sides should do it.

^^^^Pretty good indicator. The exact meaning is that it has a polished elliptical stylus. There is a blue dot also and its meaning escapes me.

I have an LP Gear Vivid Line on my M91. It has the blue dot on the cantilever, likely manufactured by Jico. It is superb. I am listening to it right now. I recommend it without hesitation.

I know Tonar doesn't get a lot of mention here, shame they don't have more of a AK presence, and although i am bias, they import very good quality items.....but they also source styli from Jico too (black dot included) - keep that in mind ya'll when price matching on the interweb ;)

I know Tonar doesn't get a lot of mention here, shame they don't have more of a AK presence, and although i am bias, they import very good quality items.....but they also source styli from Jico too (black dot included) - keep that in mind ya'll when price matching on the interweb ;)

It's a shame that Tonar styli are not more popular here in the States. Period. Tonars are extremely popular on the rest of the planet. Tonar also has the most extensive line of models. In my opinion, I blame Glenn L. for not tapping a huge market when he had the chance.
Now with JICO having everything 'sewn up', it will not happen. I know of one major distributor who would love to sell Tonar because we know and like where they come from.

Any EVG stylus with the tracking force on the label is Swiss. I asked that the tracking force be added to the labels after JICO stopped supplying Russell Industries.(EVG brand). And that was about 2 years ago. Swiss and JICO needles even look different. The JICO are 'clean' at the open end of the cantilever. The Swiss have a bit of a 'crunch' at the open end of the cantilever.

I know this is an older thread, but the LPGear N91VL has recently been bumped up to $118. Does anyone think this Vividline is still worth that new price or should I just consider jumping to a Jico SAS at $195?

Back
Top Bottom