Sub question

Well, building a box is pretty easy. Making it look good can be a challenge. Matching the model 19 cabinet (skipping the horn section) would be one way to go.

Ned, nice looking ... from my limited knowledge it doesn't look like it is a "powered sub"? Will look up the specs in a second ... also Chicago isn't all that far from me.

Yep, something like that JBL will do the trick. Not tuned as low as some think "required" for HT but will blow you out of the room 40hz and up.

That one does require an external amp & crossover.

Ned, nice looking ... from my limited knowledge it doesn't look like it is a "powered sub"? Will look up the specs in a second ... also Chicago isn't all that far from me.

Available at Parts Express, the Dr says take two and call me in the morning.

Screenshot_2018-05-19-15-57-07.png Screenshot_2018-05-19-15-57-11.png Screenshot_2018-05-19-15-57-18.png Screenshot_2018-05-19-15-57-58.png Screenshot_2018-05-19-15-58-21.png

Screenshot_2018-05-19-16-01-17.png

If you feel you need more, it comes in larger sizes lol.

Yup, I figured you were close by .
I think I saw another one near there too.
And that's where I got mine...well worth the drive and living room real estate.
I'm running mine with a Crown XLS 1502 amp. (But got it to go a bit deeper via the Venu360 crossover rather than the one built into the Crown.)
I made up a grill frame and cover for it, in JBL blue, so it pretty much 'disappears' (hah).
I've measured mine down to just below 30hz. The sheer Impact! the thing can deliver is stunning (esp for movies, but also for drums/tympani). But I've also found quite a few recordings that had content 'down there' that I'd not heard without it.
(Like a few tracks on the most recent 2L Hoff Ensemble release, which contain some very deep organ/drum notes).
Happy hunting (& hope you have a truck!)

So, two of those in back would make for the perfect boom-box truck!! :) Thumpa thumpa down the interstate!!
:rflmao:

Just to be clear if I get a non-powered sub and used my Onkyo TX-NR5008 power the subs it will be inadequate .... wimpy wimpy wimpy?

Amplifier Section
Power Output
Front L/R 145 W + 145 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz–20 kHz, 0.05%, 2 channels driven, FTC)
Center 145 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz–20 kHz, 0.05%, 2 channels driven, FTC)
Surround L/R 145 W + 145 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz–20 kHz, 0.05%, 2 channels driven, FTC)
Surround Back L/R 145 W + 145 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz–20 kHz, 0.05%, 2 channels driven, FTC)
Front High/ Wide 145 W + 145 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz–20 kHz, 0.05%, 2 channels driven, FTC)

Nedseg,
I could also hook up my boat stereo to my truck and be really loud while towing it :banana:

An unpowered (passive) sub would usually be connected to the Front L/R outputs and would share power with the front speakers. A lot depends on the efficiency of your front speakers and the efficiency of the passive sub(s). Most passive subs have no level control so level matching with the fronts may be a problem. Were I in the market for any type of sub I'd go with powered.

Ya, if going passive best to power them with a separate power amp with some sort of gain control for balancing with the front mains. Something like this works great, 400watts/channel into 4ohm loads, worked awesome powering my two built in 10" subs from Madisound, rattled the neighbors windows lol.

20160811_005444-1.jpg

Last edited:
FWIW: My two 12" TL subs are passive. They have no crossover. A pair of bridged Crown XLS-402's drive them from a DBX-223 electronic crossover..

Powered is the way to go. You can save your system's output for your drivers, and dedicate the sub's amp to producing the low notes and bass that really makes the music thump.

Just to be clear if I get a non-powered sub and used my Onkyo TX-NR5008 power the subs it will be inadequate .... wimpy wimpy wimpy?
Your Onkyo has an RCA line level output for the subs (the ".2" in 9.2). In surround mixes, there is dedicated information in that channel. Running a passive sub from your fronts won't give you that info. It won't be "whimpy", it will be missing.

My old powered 300 watt 15" sub allows me to run line level with the fronts and lfe at the same time. Two channel still uses the sub with the fronts high passed and HT 5.1 in my case adds the lfe signal.

Working with questions and suggestions from members helped me a lot.

I also run an eq in two channel, but bypass that when in surround for movies. This can rattle windows with just a small 30wpc amp.

I have a pair of amplified TL subs connected to my mains via an electronic crossover. Consequently I don't use the LFE connection on my processor. Currently I get so much bass and low frequency sounds for HT I'm completely satisfied.

My surround speakers have their own dedicated subwoofer driven via an electronic crossover. When I run the auto calibration on my processor it classifies the surround speakers as large.

Sounds more and more like I need to go somewhere and buy new and not off CL to get some more advice. I see a lot about "crossovers". Now if I get 2 powered subs for my Onkyo 9.2 would I need something like this?

Sounds more and more like I need to go somewhere and buy new and not off CL to get some more advice. I see a lot about "crossovers". Now if I get 2 powered subs for my Onkyo 9.2 would I need something like this?
No, the powered subs will have their own built in low pass filter. Some will also have a high pass filter, using this removes the lowest frequencies from the main speakers allowing them to handle more power. Most inexpensive subs won't have this feature anymore, and even fewer include this option at line level, most only allow this at speaker level connection.

The .2 subwoofer outputs from the Onkyo already has the crossover magic applied so just about any amp can be used to power a subwoofer. Many (all?) of the "powered" subs include the crossover electronics even if you don't really need them.

Back
Top Bottom