Suggestions for turntable RCA output repair

ruski48

Hi all,

I was setting up my audio system after a recent move and, when positioning the receiver, overextended my turntable's (Audio Technica LP120) RCA cable and snapped off the tip of the RCA connector.

I have all the tools I'd need to replace either the full cable or just the connectors, and was wondering which course of action you'd recommend, as I've never worked on this type of repair before. I'd also welcome any suggestions for specific components to use and where to buy them.

Additionally, would it be feasible to replace the current RCA cable with a longer one or would this weaken the signal/increase the capacitance past tolerance?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Hi all,

I was setting up my audio system after a recent move and, when positioning the receiver, overextended my turntable's (Audio Technica LP120) RCA cable and snapped off the tip of the RCA connector.

I have all the tools I'd need to replace either the full cable or just the connectors, and was wondering which course of action you'd recommend, as I've never worked on this type of repair before. I'd also welcome any suggestions for specific components to use and where to buy them.

Additionally, would it be feasible to replace the current RCA cable with a longer one or would this weaken the signal/increase the capacitance past tolerance?

Thanks in advance for the help!
I am going to have to try this soon as well. My cable shorted out. You may need to cut the tip off, strip the outer coat a ways and separate the wire outside and then strip the inner wire then you graft a different RCA cable tip + 6 inches of cable onto that.

I'd replace the whole cable. It looks cheap from the outside. I think any RCA cable of decent quality will work. If you buy a pre-made rca to rca, you don't need to solder the plugs, just cut the cable and you have a nicer finish.

Capacitance shouldn't be an issue in that TT since it has already a preamp, and the bypass is not a true bypass, I think the cartridge is seeing some load inside the unit even in "phono" mode.

Back
Top Bottom