Sumiko Blackbird Initial Review

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by MarSanZ, Dec 5, 2008.

1. MarSanZ

MarSanZ Simple Pleasures...

MarkD,

I thought long and hard about the Dynavector DV 20XL .25mV as well, but decided on the Blackbird after reading many reviews. Also, I was already impressed by my Evo III, I felt by sticking with Sumiko and moving up the ladder I couldn't go wrong. I am glad I made the move.:thmbsp:

2. Mr. Lin

Mr. Lin Lunatic Member

The 20X gets mixed reviews, so you might have made a good decision there.

3. MarSanZ

MarSanZ Simple Pleasures...

Mark,

I finally got around to getting a Mint LP Protractor, you were spot on with this one! Although it was a lengthy and tedious process, the results were astounding and WELL WORTH IT:yes::yes::yes:. The Mint LP protractor allows you to dial in both the inner and outer null points, I mean you are literally splitting atoms here. My over hang was short and the alignment was off compared to the setup using the VPI jig. I highly recommend this tool for setting up any cartridge. Everything just sounds so natural now, music just oozes out without any hint of strain, really smooth, it brought the mids a bit forward (my system needed this), better inner details, quieter backgrounds and tighter more defined bass. All in all a great success!

Thanks for the recommendation:thmbsp:.

m

4. markd51

markd51 Nyuk Nyuk

Hello my friend,
    Just out of curiosity, I clicked on this revival of this older thread to see what was cooking your end, with the Sumiko Blackbird, and how it was doing?

Little did I know, that it was specifically, a personal response, and a thanks as well to me! :)

That's fantastic that you got the MintLP Protractor, and that as the rest of us MintLP users have found, the increase of sonic performance, squeezing every last bit from your Cartridge!

The highly critical geometric parameters, adjustment of overhang, proper alignment of the two Null Points, and Cantilever-Stylus Azimuth are so much more precise-accurate with this tool. Yip was a genious, how he made clear areas in the Mirror Overlay for the Null Points, and that the little minute Null alignment lines-grids, (which look like a little two-lane Road through the jeweler's loupe) alleviate-eliminate parallax aiming error of the Cantliever Zenith Angle.

The way I think about this Protractor, or any other for that matter, is that if extreme accuracy isn't at least achieved at the two critical Null Points, (which only two can be with a Pivotal Tonearm), then if these aren't correct, every other point on the LP will be even further misaligned, and incorrect.

I'm very happy you are really now seeing how much killer performance this great Cartidge is giving you!
    Enjoy! Mark

5. RWFE

RWFE Well-Known Member

I was wondering how you like the Blackbird after a year? I have a scout with the EVO III and have been using that cartridge for about a year and a half. I keep wanting to upgrade and was going to this month but got socked with a thousand dollars in dental expenses for myself, wife and daughter so I am gonna have to wait longer but was interested in your impressions as you used both.

Thanks,

Richard

6. specialidiot

specialidiot Break Glass, Smoke Lucky Subscriber

7. ehoove

ehoove Old & New - Carpe Diem Super Mod Subscriber

MarSanZ's Sumiko Blackbird now rides on the Pro-Ject 9CC arm installed on my highly modified Thorens TD160, and has been singing nicely there for over 2 years. I did install it on the original TP16 Mk1 arm, so it will fit that headshell. FYI

I aurally found the same things MarSanZ did, and it is still my best cartridge/tonearm combo. It is a sizable cut above the following - Sumiko BP#2, Sumiko BP Evo III, Denon DL103r/Jelco 750d, Denon DL304/Signet AK50, SAE 1000LT/Magnapan Unitrac 1

Regards,
    Jim

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  8. specialidiot

specialidiot Break Glass, Smoke Lucky Subscriber

Thanks Jim, this is reassuring - especially from you - as I have a Blackbird en route! I'll be running it on my Pro-Ject RM5.1 SE so I'm confident about the possibilities!

9. ehoove

ehoove Old & New - Carpe Diem Super Mod Subscriber

I initially ran it on my Pro-ject RM5.1SE with outstanding results, which is one of the reasons I went after the Pro-Ject 9CC arm. You are in for a treat!
    Regards,
    Jim

10. Scoober65

Scoober65 New Member

I was lookign for anyone that might have paireda Bolackbird or BPS with a Luxman/Micro seiki turntable the PD277?

I am running an ADC ZLM cart body that I put a new aftermarket japanese shibata shape Stylus onto it, and it tracks and plays nicely with some persistent high frequency break up that I so far have not been able to eliminate...

I am game to invest some $$$ here on a High output MC cart, and found the Black bird as a prime candidate. Concerned that the cart may not fit onto the microseiki arm? any one with experience with this combo?

Thanks,