Sunday Tunes

The Soul Of Designer Records
Big Legal Mess
Disc One

fantastic compilation of obscure old Memphis Gospel music
https://biglegalmessrecords.com/product/various-artists/the-soul-of-designer-records/

A little trivia for ya, the guitarist for the house band that many of these artists used for their recordings is Roland Janes. Janes was also a house guitarist ( w/ Scotty Moore) for cross town studio Sun Records. He also has a legacy for production and engineering techniques, as well as his signature guitar style.

This looks fabulous.

s.

This looks fabulous

It's so good, Mrs. Grillebilly just said she could listen to it every day. :angel:
Every time I get it out and play it, I'm floored. It's like I forget or something, because I'm amazed. These gospel bands are so tight, yet it has a spontaneous "garage" feel. The musicians borrow from every genre available at the time, even some country and psychedelia. It's a 4 CD collection, over 100 songs.
I know it's not for everybody, for for those of us who it is for, it doesn't get any better.

Dig this quote from the press release
Many of these numbers share a badass, wild-eyed energy — the same primitive, reverb-soaked mojo that drives the classic Memphis rockabilly, garage rock and blues that was Janes’ specialty. The protean roots rocker also plays guitar on many of these sides, drawing on a do-it-all trick bag of riffs that range from needlepoint blues licks ’n’ leads to funky James Brown-style strumming to bristling country bends to unrepentant power chords.

Lorez Alexandria
More Of The Great Lorez Alexandria
-Impulse-

IMG_2881_zpsngkww2rm.jpg

Pithos 1-28-18.jpeg

Morning all -

Pandora custom channel, "Andrew Hill Radio," through a third party player "Pithos," on my Ubuntu laptop. Listening - don't want to disturb my wife reading the paper - over my new go-to headphones, the ultracheap Venture Electronics Monk Plus earbuds. Got a set through Massdrop (no affiliation, other than I buy things occasionally through a drop) and these are everything they're cracked up to be. Memory's a tricky thing, but if you're looking for a "what are they like" I'd say they're better than the original earbuds for the iPod, which weren't bad at all, IMHO. At $5 a throw plus shipping, worth the experiment, I think.

Anyway, we've lost most of our snow in my little town. Got up to around 50 yesterday. Colder today, right around freezing, but sunny. Then snow this week. Weatherman says we're in for - my translation - a month of suck.

s.

Back
Top Bottom