Super efficient small speakers?

joekapahulu

Borrowed a friends low power tube amp with option to buy. Looking for suggestions on small super efficient speakers, monitor sized, 90db sensitivity, new or used. Maybe single full range driver units. Heard some Halfords recently, pretty impressed. Any all suggestions appreciated.

Infinity RS-325, punch way above their weight class. I've had three pair go through here, I really want a pair but keep gifting them to family lol. Don't let the 65hz low end keep you away, these little speaks really rock with plenty of bass.

Frequency Response: 65Hz - 25kHz (+/-3dB)
Crossover Frequency: 3.3kHz
Sensitivity: 92dB (2.83 volts/1 meter)
Nominal Impedance: Compatible with 8 ohms
Power Rating: 20 - 150 watts/RMS into 6 ohms
Woofer: 6.5" IMG
Tweeter: 0.75" ferrofluid-cooled Polycell

Screenshot_2018-06-01-00-17-20.png

You could build your own box with Fostex fullrange drivers - great sound and great sensitivity. My Fe206's are 96dB
I've thought about full range drivers. The Halfords were that type and sounded good. I would probably look for a kit as I could do simple assembly, i.e. Gluing, staining and screwing. I don't have the equipment to do anything more complex involving sawing, jigs, etc. The Fostex sites I have found sell you drivers and plans nothing more finished.

In the realm of efficiencies.. 90db is not that efficient. Actually, I'd suggest setting your sights on 95db or better and maybe, maybe dropping down to 93db, my opinion FWIW.. Small size and efficiency are extremely difficult to deliver if you want any level of deep bass..

Cerwin Vega certainly can claim some high efficiency. Not sure what your size limits are?

If you can find a pair used...Tekton 6.5 Full range...really amazing speakers. Genuine 93db spl... 8 ohm...55Hz 3 db. Great with low power tubes or 100 wpc solid state amp.

Last edited:
I can always use a sub if need be. I have one in the closet I have never used after buying it off Ebay. Thanks for the responses so far. I will keep a lookout for what I can find. I was going to try a kit fro Parts Express but the freight was higher than the kits itself and their "free freight" deal didnt apply to Hawaii. Unlike others, they wouldnt even give me the credit for the cost to say LA or San Diego and I pay the difference. I probably wont buy anything there.

I can always use a sub if need be. I have one in the closet I have never used after buying it off Ebay. Thanks for the responses so far. I will keep a lookout for what I can find. I was going to try a kit fro Parts Express but the freight was higher than the kits itself and their "free freight" deal didnt apply to Hawaii. Unlike others, they wouldnt even give me the credit for the cost to say LA or San Diego and I pay the difference. I probably wont buy anything there.

There's a pair of Klipsch Heresey's on craigslist near Honolulu, 250.00 is a great price

Laws of physics kind of preclude 'small' and 'efficient' in the same box, unless you compromise bass response.
You can tailor the response to sound like low bass (ala LS3/5a) but it isn't, really.

Would you consider a powered subwoofer to do that part?

Definitive Technology Monitor 350 isn't super sensitive at 90db, but it's really small and reaches down to 26hz. I would really like to get my hands on a pair of these.

h735SM350-o_open (1).jpeg Screenshot_20180621-111031.png

Is this for stand-mount, or bookshelf, or are you looking for small near-field speakers that, for example, sit on a desk you use?

For near-field, I like the idea of a small full-range single-driver, too.

Back
Top Bottom