Supercharged - Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 DAC

One word of warning ... op amps can be quite sensitive to static discharge, so DO make sure you're grounded before touching them. Touch the case first (especially now with dry air and heating) then hold the case with one hand while working with the op amps. Hold onto the ends, not across the pins.

Pull straight up and insert straight down. Rocking can loosen up the sockets. I usually work the new parts up and down a bit to break loose any oxidation and make sure I get a good clean connection.

Just to put it to rest. The sound goes through all three OpAmps even when using the tube buffer. I sent an email to maverick audio to verify this. I received the following response:

Hi Brad,

The tube in the D2 is a "tube buffer" stage, the audio signal will still go through the three OpAmp's and then to the tube. So it is worthwhile to get the OpAmp upgrade.

Please do let me know if you have any other question.

Cheers,

Ryan

Customer Support
Maverick Audio

So this means for certain the sparkos labs discrete OpAmps are used all the time whether the tube out is used or not hence why it is such a worthwhile upgrade!!!

And all the more reason why our resident D1+ guru - - sKIZo - - should give the opamp a try. ;)

Last edited:
I'm tempted ... one thing I've heard is that the Sparks units have fat legs that the Maverick sockets have issues with. Did you use the original sockets, or have to swap out?

No issues with the legs at all, they fit perfectly into the sockets.

However, you're correct. It appears that earlier versions of these opamps had thicker legs.

I was just fighting to get the cover off the old D1 to see how the cap mod would work on that. Forgot how much fun that was. I highly recommend the cover mod if you haven't already done so ... basically just slice off the bottom wings with a dremel cutoff wheel. If you're careful, it's not noticeable at all - I just dressed the cut edge with a sharpie ...

maverick-cover-mod.jpg

"I can't even believe this....."

....is what I just said to the guy at Sparkos Labs.

Well, I'll try to keep this short but sweet. Installed the new op-amps....couldn't be any easier I thought to myself. Hooked it up to the stereo and had no sound. Went through the whole process a couple more times with no progress. Apparently, I put one or maybe all of them in backwards....who knows...and that could cause "no sound" and the dreaded 'burnt' smell I observed according to Sparkos. Didn't see or hear anything that would raise a flag but when I smelled that faint burnt smell I knew I was screwed.

I guess I got a little excited and in a rush to hear the new sound. Not good when you're not experienced in electronics. Now I see by looking at the pics that there is a yellow marking on the corner of each device...at least it looks like there is. This stuff is so small.

So now what to do? Send it back to Hong Kong and have to pay shipping each way in addition to the repair? I'm waiting for them to get back to me...probably won't be until tomorrow. There doesn't appear to be any Maverick Audio service techs here in the US...or is there? I might just have to buy another one and deal with this repair later.

Any suggestions?

I just got a couple shipping quotes and it's out of the question....as expected. Unless I find someone local to repair it, buying another one may be my only option.

So, the next time around looking at it from this angle... each device has a little yellow marking in the upper left corner. Would this be a safe way of going about it?

If there's no power at all, unless they changed the design, there's a tiny fuse hiding in a compartment on the power cord socket. Look close and you'll see the top piece will pull out and bring the fuse with it. See if replacing that works with the new op amps.

aec-fuse.jpg

Have you tried putting the original op amps back in? If you're lucky, you just toasted the new ones.

"Lucky" being relative here ... still an expensive mistake, and I feel yer pain ... sorry I didn't mention putting them in backwards as a potential gotcha. I've installed enough of them over the years that I just take it for granted to align the pin 1 marks or notches on the chip and board.

If the Maverick IS damaged, you might be able to track down the burnt parts ... maybe just a cap or resistor that sacrificed itself to protect the expensive stuff.

Not familiar with the Sparko markings, but I'd definitely be asking THEM about orientation! Boards, sockets and standard chips will have a notch on one end - match those up, and yer good. In this case, I'd say the yellow marks are proven to be what to look for, as the chips work using those as guides.
ic_legs1.jpg

PS ... seems to me that fuse might also be worth looking into for improving performance. Haven't looked all that close, but it'd be interesting to see if they're running the tube thru that lil thang ... looks like a ½A rating is all ... you can barely see the wire inside.

Last edited:
There is power. Neither the new or original ones will work now. I'm gonna take another look for burn marks. Didn't see any before but I will double check. Man I hope the new op-amps aren't toast.

SWL, that totally sucks. Sorry man.

Take pictures of the board so we can try to help you identify the problem component(s).

Also check to see if any of the other line input options work, and try both straight digital and tube out. Might help to localize the problem.

Both outputs don't work...I'll try the coax input, haven't tried yet.

Just examined everything for burn marks. New and original op-amps look fine and can't see anywhere on the board that 'looks' affected. Now that I know how the new op-amps go in....what do I look at to make sure the originals are in properly? Man, I should have taken pics. I'll do a search to find some gut shots.

Okay. Sometimes my dac gives me some issues with outputting sound via the usb.

Sometimes I have to unplug the usb, plug it back in and cycle the power button. Once in a while I have to cycle the power a few times. This is with windows 10 using foobar2000. But I've never tried any other output other than usb. This is probably not your issue but thought I'd mention it anyway.

Found some pics....one of the original op-amps I had in backwards. Now, one channel will work on the regular output but nothing on the tube. I'm not gonna put the Sparkos back in there. I hope they're ok.

I bit the bullet and ordered another one. I was debating getting another one for another system in the house anyway,I like it that much. So, I still have to get this one taken care somehow.

You're in Sherlock Holmes mode now, basically trying all easy stuff first. :thumbsup:

Seems to me, having one channel working, that SHOULD indicate you have at least two good chips now. I'd try swapping the working chip to the other side and see if the problem follows. That would help narrow things down to either a chip or something else. Try all possible combinations, as you may find a chip that doesn't work in one socket may work in another, depending on what demands the circuit makes in that position. For testing purposes anyway, you should be able to mix and match the old and new chips as well, at least to verify which may be bad or good. Eventually you'll want them all the same, but you're not there yet.

Also inspect the sockets ... you need to be extremely careful with the mechanical connections - it's quite easy to bend a finger and lose a connection. You should see good metal all the way around the interior of each hole. Although not normally an issue with an adapter due to the size of the pins, DO make sure you visually inspect pin alignment with the chip seated lightly to make sure they're all going in before pressing it home. None of this SHOULD be a problem with the sockets Maverick uses, but ya never know.

No burns or other visible damage does make it more difficult to track down any other problems, but that's not all that unusual with solid state. Also check for any bulging on the tops of the electrolytics ... those should all be flat. Have you checked with Ryan to see if he has any suggestions? I'm sure you're not the first to have an ooPs! moment installing the chips.

Would you mind posting a pic of this?

Already did ... the generic diagram I posted earlier shows standard markings for an IC, using either the indentation centered on one end of the chip or marking pin one specifically. If you had the stock chips, the indentation is clear, and if you look at your old OPA627's, you'll see the marking is screen printed on the adapter. There's also one on the socket, and it's also screen printed on the circuit board itself.

maverick-d1-opa627.jpg

Seems to me, Sparko kinda dropped the ball on this one by not following convention or explaining how to align the chips for installation more clearly. Either screen print a standard marking similar to that used with the Browndog OPA627's, or a simple notch with a dremel during assembly ... These are too expensive not to take that extra step to minimize errors. :thumbsdown:

Last edited:
The D2 is up and running.....like a champ.

The DAC is fine, only the op-amps were damaged. Andrew from Sparkos Labs has been helping me out as well. He suggested that most likely the only damage was to the op-amps and not the DAC and he was right. His suggestion was to go to Radio Shack and buy some cheap TL072/82 dual op-amps (4 for 10 bucks) and try them. If they work then I'm good to go......I'm good to go Daddy-O. :thumbsup:

It sounds great. Not as defined as with the upgraded op-amps from Maverick Audio but has a nice full sound. One thing that stands out in comparison to my other DACS is how the bass has 'weight' to it.....and I mean that as a good thing.

I was debating getting another D2 for another system in the house and with the uncertainty of the situation at hand I did just that. I'm gonna order another set of the SS3602's from Sparkos to see what all the fuss is about. It will be fun to compare.

An expensive mistake but now that the D2 is working properly this has actually become a fun little experience. Andrew from Sparkos Labs provided me with very prompt professional service and supported me all through the dilemma. I will be doing more business with him.

Thanks for the help and suggestions. Should get the SS3602's some time next week. I'll post pics and listening impressions then.:music:

Back
Top Bottom