Supercharged - Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 DAC

The Behringer UCA-202 will do the USB-SPDIF conversion dirt cheap at $25.00. Gave mine to a friend after I picked up an IFI Microlink USB-SPDIF converter. I think I paid something like $250.00.

The UCA-202 worked just fine for me. The IFI sounds significantly better, though.

Thanks for the info SWL3600 . Is my list of cables something like correct so i can order them ? Is the USB cable that is needed a 2.0 USB cable?

Last edited:
If you use the UCA-202 to do the USB-SPDIF conversion, you won't need a USB cable because it has one built in. So you'll only need an optical cable.

Otherwise, you'll need as USB cable between your computer and converter. I'm not sure about 2.0 or 3.0 but I think either will work.

If you use the UCA-202 to do the USB-SPDIF conversion, you won't need a USB cable because it has one built in. So you'll only need an optical cable.

Otherwise, you'll need as USB cable between your computer and converter. I'm not sure about 2.0 or 3.0 but I think either will work.

I cant see the use of me using a UCA-202 as I dont need the optical to go to the D2. You need it to go to your EQ you said. Some older computers may not have 3.0 USB but it is much faster for uploads and downloads I think. Both my laptops have both 2.0 and 3.0. Does anyone here have their D2 connected to USB 3.0? I see most USB leads are called USB 2.0 . type A to type B.

Ah, ok.....for some reason I thought you wanted to check out the optical input of the D2 vs. USB.
If it's like the D1, you can really improve it by using a totally isolated power wire in your USB cable. The Wireworld Ultraviolet is excellent. The silver data wire really makes a difference! If you want to go a step further, get a USB Disruptor to give it a clean power supply. It has a ease to the sound, (like the Ultraviolet), and stops those annoying dropout/freeze ups. My Black Friday special Dell may be part of the problem in my setup. It's USB section is average at best I think, and average processing. A HD drive would help. I have one, at some point I will plop it in.
Don't skimp on your USB cable. I found they make a bigger difference then interconnects. Each cable seems to have a particular sound.

Last edited:
If it's like the D1, you can really improve it by using a totally isolated power wire in your USB cable. The Wireworld Ultraviolet is excellent. The silver data wire really makes a difference! If you want to go a step further, get a USB Disruptor to give it a clean power supply. It has a ease to the sound, (like the Ultraviolet), and stops those annoying dropout/freeze ups. My Black Friday special Dell may be part of the problem in my setup. It's USB section is average at best I think, and average processing. A HD drive would help. I have one, at some point I will plop it in.

Wireworld cables are a definite. Is it worth spending the extra and getting the Wireworld Starlight 7 instead of The Ultraviolet 7? I cant seem to buy the USB Disruptor as they dont ship to Australia. Bugger! A bit silly isnt it. They must not want to make money lol. Thank you for your reply Automojo and reminding me about the clean power supply that is needed for the USB. And thank you SWL3600 for all your help as well. cheers Russell

think going up will only be a improvement. Have not tried that one, but I bet it's a subtle, but positive improvement. The Schiit Wryed is another possibility. I tried it, but didn't like the reclocker part I'm thinking. It was doing to much. Here is another one:
http://www.aqvox.de/usb-power_en.html

think going up will only be a improvement. Have not tried that one, but I bet it's a subtle, but positive improvement. The Schiit Wryed is another possibility. I tried it, but didn't like the reclocker part I'm thinking. It was doing to much. Here is another one:
http://www.aqvox.de/usb-power_en.html

I have been searching everywhere on the internet and since posting last I found both those. I did not like the Schiit Wryed reclocker part and I have not even used it obviously lol I will have another look at the Aqvox. Prices were in euros. Can anyone comment on here that uses this usb power supply? I just priced a Aqvox and it cost $172 Aus dollars landed here. Bloody expensive

Last edited:
I received my D2 today. That was extremely fast delivery. I asked Ryan at Maverick about the use of 3.0 output and he said the chip is designed for 2.0. Now just to find a USB power supply at a reasonable price. I will go onto Stereo.net .au and see if they know of anything.

I don't think you will have problem with USB 3.0. Usually computer has a USB 2.0 as well. My D1 is plugged into USB 3.0 and works fine.

I don't think you will have problem with USB 3.0. Usually computer has a USB 2.0 as well. My D1 is plugged into USB 3.0 and works fine.

That is exactly what I was trying to find out. So there is really no advantage running 3.0? Lots of bananas seeing I received the D2 :banana::banana::banana::banana: lol
I am hoping there is another way around that low noise USB power supply. It looks like it is a must but I dont really want to spend $172 AUS on it lol. I have been looking at the price of some of the cables that are around hahahahaha they have got to be kidding.

Last edited:
To me the advantage to USB 3.0 is file copying. It is much faster than 2.0. Don't think it makes difference to the DAC. I don't get the need for expensive USB cable but that is my opinion. Don't know anything about low noise USB power supply. Does your computer make noise?

I would just plug it in and see how it goes.

To me the advantage to USB 3.0 is file copying. It is much faster than 2.0. Don't think it makes difference to the DAC. I don't get the need for expensive USB cable but that is my opinion. Don't know anything about low noise USB power supply. Does your computer make noise?

I would just plug it in and see how it goes.

I would plug it in but dont know how to use it yet lol. Well i dont know the computer part yet. I have also ordered a SVS sub SB13 ultra so not in any great hurry. i am just following the good advice on here from members with a lot more experience and I will definitely get a better usb cable. Maybe the Wireworld ultraviolet 7 will be good enough for me. From what I have read all computers have shit internals compared to the rest of our high end audio stuff. I am starting to wonder if it might be a better idea just to buy a better DAC with its own usb power supply so this other tiny power supply is not needed. I dont know what is in the offering there so talking forum rubbish there lol.

I just used the D2 for the first time and my first impression is wow. It is such an improvement over my CD player Shanling T200C. I downloaded Foobar2000 and ripped leonard Cohen onto it. The computer part was not hard at all. I am using the stock USB lead atm and using some eichmann leads to my audio by van alstine fet valve pre amp and main amp . Speakers are B+W nautilus 804 and hsu sub (which is shit). No low noise USB power supply yet. What a beautiful performace by Leonard Cohen lol. I have ordered the wireworld ultraviolet 7 USB and Wireworld interconnects. I have never heard a separate dac before and my system has never sounded this good. I did notice a very slight noise coming from midrange and tweeter with nothing playing but everything connected. Is this the USB power cable noise coming from the usb out on the puter? Also to run in the DAC do I actually have to play something or just have it turned on?

[QUOTE="Bonus, post: 11074385, member: 273491"]I just used the D2 for the first time and my first impression is wow. It is such an improvement over my CD player Shanling T200C. I downloaded Foobar2000 and ripped leonard Cohen onto it. The computer part was not hard at all. I am using the stock USB lead atm and using some eichmann leads to my audio by van alstine fet valve pre amp and main amp . Speakers are B+W nautilus 804 and hsu sub (which is shit). No low noise USB power supply yet. What a beautiful performace by Leonard Cohen lol. I have ordered the wireworld ultraviolet 7 USB and Wireworld interconnects. I have never heard a separate dac before and my system has never sounded this good. I did notice a very slight noise coming from midrange and tweeter with nothing playing but everything connected. Is this the USB power cable noise coming from the usb out on the puter? Also to run in the DAC do I actually have to play something or just have it turned on?[/QUOTE]

Hearing a decent DAC for the first time is a lot of fun :)

Eric

I am using Power 2 go to rip cds. It automatically came up when I put the CD in the laptop. I notice there is a copy speed and file size adjustment. Should I pick the highest file size? Is this the program to use for ripping? I want to keep exact copies on the hard drive.
I have been reading about FLAC and seems like I should be using a lossless ripper. The CDs that I have ripped have been compressed. Does that mean if I use a lossless ripper that when I replay songs that they will have more detail? I am using a windows 10 laptop

Last edited:
Don't skimp on your USB cable. I found they make a bigger difference then interconnects. Each cable seems to have a particular sound.

Cool. I've been using the Uptone Audio ISO-REGEN powered with the LPS-1 switching power supply in addition to a full loom of Curious Cables.

No complaints here. I very RARELY use a CD player anymore. All of this in addition to EQing in the digital domain and a modified D2 and I've never looked back.

Cool. I've been using the Uptone Audio ISO-REGEN powered with the LPS-1 switching power supply in addition to a full loom of Curious Cables.

No complaints here. I very RARELY use a CD player anymore. All of this in addition to EQing in the digital domain and a modified D2 and I've never looked back.
https://uptoneaudio.com/products/iso-regen

SWL3600, you may not believe me but I was reading reviews on your ISO-REGEN elsewhere and was just about to ask on this thread if anyone on this thread uses this gizmo. Then I read your last post and laughed. I copied it so I could paste it here on this thread . Gee it pasted above my reply. Oh well.So when you started using it it definitely made a very noticeable improvement? I have a windows 10 laptop with ultraviolet 7 cable to the D2 Dac. Would it be a noticeable upgrade to buy a ISO-REGEN? I also did a search on your amplifier and wow it is a tubey thing in a wooden box lol. I also had a look at your speakers. Are the big drivers 12" diameter? Klipsch dont seem to make them any more.

Last edited:
Going away from HDMI and back to USB with all the Uptone stuff, yeah.....the bass had much more weight to it and the overall sound was smoother and more refined. This in addition to using a DEQ 2496 to EQ in the digital domain has me totally content. If there was one thing I would not want to go without, it would definitely be the 2496. No doubt about it.

Yeah, my speakers have a total of (4) 12" drivers. Totally modified, re-braced and beefed up.....you can barely call them Klipsch anymore....but I do because they are still Klipsch's design.....just better parts and modified construction making them better performers.

I use tubes but mostly run high current, high wattage amps. The dual 12's love it.:thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom