Supercharged - Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 DAC

Mine is an O, and sounds "typical" to the general description of the Tesla. I'll say it runs much cooler than the GE that was supplied with the Mav.
O, D, oval, tubes describe the shape of the reservoir from which the tube is flashed after a vacuum is formed. The ring stays, but IIRC, serves zero purpose after flash.
Bottom line, try different tubes, find one you and your earbobs are comfy with and crank it 'til the sun dims.

I have appreciated all the previous postings on this subject and they helped me decide to get the Maverick D2.
I just got the Maverick D2 today with the upgraded op amps and GE tube and was very impressed compared to my Modi 2 Uber.
How much burn in time should I count on before the sound quality settles in?

I have appreciated all the previous postings on this subject and they helped me decide to get the Maverick D2.
I just got the Maverick D2 today with the upgraded op amps and GE tube and was very impressed compared to my Modi 2 Uber.
How much burn in time should I count on before the sound quality settles in?

It's hard for me to remember but it seemed like about 2 weeks of playing 3-4 hours a day for mine.

kray,
Thanks for the advice. Sounds like about 40-60 hrs. I think I'll keep a time log just for kicks. Some days I'm listening for 7 hours plus.

It's hard for me to remember but it seemed like about 2 weeks of playing 3-4 hours a day for mine.
Hi Kray,

Do you use your D2 with a tube amp? I wonder how the Sparkos match with tube amps.
I'm also considering the Sparkos upgrade. Currently I'm using it with a tube amp Audioromy 828 equiped with Tesla 6CC42. I also combined it with a Tesla tube in the D2. But that was too bright for my taste. Since then I'm not using the D2's pre-amp with the Audioromy anymore.

Hi Kray,

Do you use your D2 with a tube amp? I wonder how the Sparkos match with tube amps.
I'm also considering the Sparkos upgrade. Currently I'm using it with a tube amp Audioromy 828 equiped with Tesla 6CC42. I also combined it with a Tesla tube in the D2. But that was too bright for my taste. Since then I'm not using the D2's pre-amp with the Audioromy anymore.

My D2 is feeding a Music Hall a15.3 solid state integrated. For me the sparkos really opened up the sound, and the tesla tube tightened up the bass. i'm working on getting another tube amp in next 3-6 months, so will be interesting to see how they play together. So far my combo has good synergy.

Was it too bright on both the pre and tube out on D2?

As comparison, the Music Hall replaced a Marantz PM6005, i prefer the Music Hall MUCH more.....

Was it too bright on both the pre and tube out on D2?
No I meant the tube pre-amp only. But that is only when my tube amp and D2 are equipped with the Tesla's at the same time. Currently I am using the stock GE in the D2.

The Sparko SS3602 upgrade is a "plug n' play" upgrade on a D2, correct? No other modifications are necessary? Thanks

Also, I did not think I saw it when reading through the thread but was it ever mentioned the difference of the TESLA 6CC42 O-Getter vs. D-Getter?

Have others continued to favor the Western Electric 2C51 396A D-Getter with the Sparko SS3602?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi guys, i need help with my D2 and Sparkos Dual Opamp. Can anyone take a picture of their D2 with Sparkos? I need to know the right orientation so i won't burn the 3 opamps. LOL Thanks guys!

If you look close, any op amp will have a notch on one end, and the circuit board will be marked with a notch as well. These DACs are also socketed, and the sockets have the same notch. Just line em up.

DO be careful putting them in as it's easy to miss or fold a pin, and not always easy to straighten them out again. I guide the op amp into the socket so the pins are just engaged, then take a close peek all around to make sure everything is as it should be before pushing them home.

Worth mentioning, getting the mount can be a bit interesting as well as they tend to be a tight fit. They make specialty tools for that, but I find that a bent paperclip usually works too. Hook one end and pry it up just a bit, then the other end to rock it out - repeat as necessary.

When I first got this DAC (2 years ago already!), I rolled several tubes. I can't say that any of them sounded bad.....but I had to pick the flavor I wanted. It came down to the NOS Western Electric or the NOS GE 5 Star (red) 5670. I settled on the GE. The white lettered GE's were in close contention as well.

In recent months I basically rebuilt my speakers and a few other things got changed......all for the better. However, there always seemed to be that some ''pizazz" got lost along the way.

So this morning, after all the work I've put into my system the last couple of months it dawned on me to go back to some tube rolling.

I removed the 5 Star GE and popped in the Western Electric. Previous tube rolling yeilded minimal but discernable differences in sq but this time it was more than that. Immediately I noticed more volume, bigger, crisper, more lively soundstage. This was not subtle.

If I had to guesstimate...... I would have to say that the GE tube had about, oh......maybe.....well, I'll just say it had two years worth of hours on it. A butt load (at least).

My buddy has a tube tester. I'll have to pay him a visit.

Happy Tube Rolling!

I forgot how cool this is. The Western Electric had all the qualities I mentioned but it seemed a little edgy sounding. Maybe it needs some burn in.

Anyway, I yanked it and went back to my first love. The NOS GE 5 Star 5670 (white letter). Still strong gain like the Western Electric but smooth and juicy sounding. Oh yeah. This is what really made me admire this DAC in addition to the discrete opamps. Dig it.

I'm tempted to put the Western Electric back in and let it burn in all day and night.....but this tube is just sounding too sweet.

I'll stick with some sweetness for a while longer.......

Anyway, I yanked it and went back to my first love. The NOS GE 5 Star 5670 (white letter). Still strong gain like the Western Electric but smooth and juicy sounding. Oh yeah. This is what really made me admire this DAC in addition to the discrete opamps. Dig it.

Is this the same GE5670 that comes with the upgraded D2 from Maverick?

Back
Top Bottom