Supercharged - Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 DAC

Have you tried the Tesla 6CC42 tube? That one was a big jump over the stock GE tube as well. Might look for a GE 5 star to try too.

Yes, I did. I liked it but in the end the highs were a little to 'tizzy' in my very revealing system. I could live with the Tesla very easily but preferred the NOS GE.

Yes, I did. I liked it but in the end the highs were a little to 'tizzy' in my very revealing system. I could live with the Tesla very easily but preferred the NOS GE.

Is there a difference in the GE 5 star with white label vs red letters?

Is there a difference in the GE 5 star with white label vs red letters?

In my system.....very little, if any from what I remember. I really can't recall why I chose the red over the white but both sound great in my system.

I decided to throw the Western Electric back in.......let it play overnight and loosen up a little. It has a bigger sound than the GE at this point. I'll see if it mellows out some.

I gave the Western Electric a lot more time. I like it but it's not discrete and tubey sounding like the 5 Star GE. The Western Electric has more gain and it rocks.....just not as refined as the GE.

Can someone try or verify this with their D2.

I assumed with a normal power supply that the USB port wasn't using the USB 5v power, but i recently bought a dual head USB cable that separates the USB power from the data. Once i get the handshake with the DAC, if i unplug the power portion it completely disconnects and drops audio in the DAC.

Using Mac Mini with OS 10.11

well looking in the usb properties i found the USB portion of the DAC Tenor 7022 requires 5V, so the main power supply will not power the USB section.

So, I've got a change in circumstances meaning I'm going to be downsizing. I'm thinking of regretfully selling the Maverick D2. It has the opamp upgrade, as well as the Sparkos ss upgrade, two WE 396 (one unused)and one very lightly used Tesla tube. What do you guys think this is worth as a package if I sell it on eBay? I've spent over $500 on this in total, is it reasonable to ask $300?

So, I've got a change in circumstances meaning I'm going to be downsizing. I'm thinking of regretfully selling the Maverick D2. It has the opamp upgrade, as well as the Sparkos ss upgrade, two WE 396 (one unused)and one very lightly used Tesla tube. What do you guys think this is worth as a package if I sell it on eBay? I've spent over $500 on this in total, is it reasonable to ask $300?

I personally think that would be a smokin deal

I have installed the Sparkos Op Amps and I am more than impressed. I am now considering the replacement of the output capacitors as bce22 has explained previously. I have search bce22's link and notice that Jantzen also make a silver model https://www.parts-express.com/jantzen-audio-22uf-800v-z-silver-capacitor--027-772 . It might be even an improvement over the superior caps. What are your thoughts? Is the wiring the same as the silver caps have a lead out each end and maybe the superior caps have a lead on one end only. Any help is appreciated

I have done some more searching and the lead out each end seems to be different. I am wondering if they make a silver cap which has one lead?

I am also wondering if the Cap upgrade is really worth it after reading some threads. What are members opinions?

Last edited:
I have installed the Sparkos Op Amps and I am more than impressed. I am now considering the replacement of the output capacitors as bce22 has explained previously. I have search bce22's link and notice that Jantzen also make a silver model https://www.parts-express.com/jantzen-audio-22uf-800v-z-silver-capacitor--027-772 . It might be even an improvement over the superior caps. What are your thoughts? Is the wiring the same as the silver caps have a lead out each end and maybe the superior caps have a lead on one end only. Any help is appreciated

I have done some more searching and the lead out each end seems to be different. I am wondering if they make a silver cap which has one lead?

I am also wondering if the Cap upgrade is really worth it after reading some threads. What are members opinions?

I’m contemplating replacing caps as well with the Mundorf Supremes. I thought about the Silver/Oils but not sure I wanna spend $80 (pair) on those but $25 works for the regular Supremes

I am scratching my head a bit as the Mundorf Supremes seem to be axial as well (with a wire out each end). I might be completely wrong as I am not tech savy but the Jantzen caps that bce22 used seem to have one lead or wire. Please correct me if I am wrong

I will correct myself here. All caps seem to have 2 wires. I wish I could see bce22's photos!! Is than any way I can see them? Could anyone point out the Caps on the output stage that need changing?

Last edited:
images
here is a pic of a D2 with 3 red burson dual op amps fitted. My question are the caps that bce22 changed the 2 longer red rectangular caps to the rear of the tube? Mine are 1.5uf so can I fit 2.2uf caps?
33413577816_bc2a022996_z.jpg

Even bigger image lol

Last edited:
just managed to completed the wima 0.1uf bypass on the 4-8 pin.
(sorry for the poor image quality)
32901230714_42fa2883e5_b.jpg
Burson-SS-Opamp-PinOut.jpg

notice the white caps.. that is the from the front board.. pull it off and resolder it at the back.
the burson now can seat/fit properly :)
32931026093_c612b51798.jpg

RESULT:
Wow!! the first time i installed the v5 i got a Wow!! and with this cheap n simple mod i got another Wow!! :jump:
bigger soundstage and more separation.. bass a bit tighter and high is smoother..
the biggest improvement i think is the mid.. its silky smooth now.. i can play it louder now without any fatigue at all!!
it is like what its claim, this mod will bring the v5 to its full potential.
Hi, did you change your output caps from 1.5uf to 2.2uf and which ones did you use and how is the result?

Thanks Kray, I just have to work out if 2.2uf caps can replace the 1.5uf caps I have fitted.

I believe they came with different ones depending on that supply they had. I thought I saw others that had 2.2uf as well. My D2 has 1.5uf

D48B4801-7007-4776-8967-3A0B771D3C57.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom