Support for Latest iPhones and iPods?

I noticed that many of the amps/receivers/cd players that support Apple idevices playbacks only support up to the model just before iPhone 5s and latest iPods with the new "Lightening" connectors?

Is it simply an adaptor issue? Or it won't work even with an adaptor? Will the current models that supports iPods/iPhones be firmware upgraded to work with the latest models in the future?

My concern is that unless other sources (like MP3s, FLACs, CDs), iPods/iPhones changes all the time. If I spent $800 on a receiver that plays my current iPod Touch, it's great but 2 years down the road and I need to buy a new iPod, I guess it won't work with the receiver? I understand that's the way technology works but I want to know what you think on this issue. We'll never know what Apple plans to do but I think we can assume that the new connector is here to stay for atleast a few more years, like the older connector.

Last edited:
They can't make a receiver compatible with products that don't exist yet, and Apple doesn't release the necessary code so far ahead of the game (think of the phrase "beat 'em to the punch").

It's frustrating, but not much can be done to change it (unless mfgrs. offer firmware updates to retain connectivity with new versions of iProducts).

It's a reason I'd rather have a server running JRiver connected to a system than rely on compatibility (and I can use the iPhone/iPod/Android/etc. as a remote control for JRiver).

Market for connecting new iDevices has moved to Airplay. That's why it is much smarter to use Airplay and an Airport Express, or even better an AppleTV rather than a dedicated dock or connector.

Answer is yes, there is an adapter for 30 pin to lightning, apple and aftermarket.
I use one for my Nuforce Icon Ido DAC w/30 pin.
Great little unit for feeding to stereo, from both new IPAD mini (lightning) and older ITOUCH (30 pin)

Airplay

Market for connecting new iDevices has moved to Airplay. That's why it is much smarter to use Airplay and an Airport Express, or even better an AppleTV rather than a dedicated dock or connector.

AirPlay is definitely the way to go. One of the first things I did with an older Denon receiver was ditch the dock, and install an AirPort Express (later Apple TV). Once you do this you can stream from (almost all) iPhones, iPads, iPod Touches - AND the entire iTunes Library on your Mac.

Some of the most recent receivers have Airport Technology built in - saving you the cost of the $100 Express or TV.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the new lightening connector doesn't have an analog audio output like the old 30 pin connector did. So if your system was getting audio digitally then the 30 pin adapter will work fine. If it was taking analog out you'll need to find another method.

Answer is yes, there is an adapter for 30 pin to lightning, apple and aftermarket.
I use one for my Nuforce Icon Ido DAC w/30 pin.
Great little unit for feeding to stereo, from both new IPAD mini (lightning) and older ITOUCH (30 pin)

Right, but I think the OP was also asking about CONTROL of the iPod byt he receiver.

Any iPod can be connected to almost any audio system with a dock or a DAC, but the receivers that are iPod "friendly" also can control the iPod and display data, etc.
Except, the receiver that is iPod 4 friendly is probably not iPod Video nor iPhone5 friendly, etc. (heck, my old dock won't even charge my Touch 4 using the correct charger connected to the dock. It tells me the dock is not compatible.)

I If I spent $800 on a receiver that plays my current iPod Touch, it's great but 2 years down the road and I need to buy a new iPod, I guess it won't work with the receiver? I understand that's the way technology works but I want to know what you think on this issue. We'll never know what Apple plans to do but I think we can assume that the new connector is here to stay for atleast a few more years, like the older connector.
If the iPod works for your purposes today, it will most likely continue to work for those purposes. In other words, there is no reason you can't continue using the current iPod the same way you do today even if they continue to bring out new iPods. I have a first gen iPod Touch connected to a Pure i20 DAC and it works without a problem.

As others have mentioned, I would suggest going with Airplay, although Apple could still decide to move on to a newer and better technology in the future.

Back
Top Bottom