Sure would be nice to have some discussion here instead of the what's best threads

Blue Shadow

Waiting for Vintage Gear from this century
Those are just fine if someone posts great pictures and says why it is the best but it seems more a place to collect the opinions of many and not really a listing of the best of anything. Had high hopes for this forum but it really hasn't materialized. Newbs see the word vintage, only forum with that as part of the name and it gets their first post about some mid-level unit with an issue. Swept off to the proper forum and we are back to the rotation of best tt, best vintage cartridge, best speaker and of course the wow thread. Sure all full of stuff that ranges from mid-level to high end but there is precious little discussion of the gear.

Can't folks post up a thread about truly top performers from back in the day? I did and since I was discussing a well-liked earlier amp in a comparison the lovers of that brand couldn't help but support their brand. That's fine, it is part of the discussion and at least there was a discussion.

Overall the name of this forum along with loading it with all the old threads about anyoldpieceofgear that might be the good stuff has really derailed what could have been a great place to discuss amps, preamps and integrated amps. Guess it isn't going to happen very often. Oh well

This thread was moved from Top Performers which is what this thread was about.

Last edited:
I do my best to clean it up by moving the non top gear posts.
Regards,
Jim

I do my best to clean it up by moving the non top gear posts.
Regards,
Jim
Yes, they do get moved fairly quickly so that the newbs can get good answers about their gear. Just looking for the guys with the Krells, Mark Levinson and Audio Research gear to post here but they put their post in the general or the ss or tube forums. I just don't know if this forum will ever get traction with the title it is stuck with and the old habit of posting in those other forums. Fortunately there don't seem to be as many problems with folks having the good stuff and getting snide comments about it and how good a receiver is in comparison. I'll just check back like I do and hope for some discussion instead of new the best vintage hunk o' gear dejour posts.

OK ... I'll start.

The Lenco lamp is the top performer ever when it comes to platter lighting.
There, I said it. Discussion over!

And now for the obigatory great picture ... drumroll please!

lencolamp-lit.jpg

Anyway, never really saw the sense of this particular forum. Anyone who actually browses the forum can pretty much figure out what's popular by what gets posted elsewhere.

yup, just a popularity contest.

Now if someone were to start a discussion of their Lirpa 1A and discuss the pluses and minuses of such a high end piece of gear and seek answers, there may well be some posts about that unit in its own thread. Completely different from this noise of wow or best this or that.

I googled Lirpa 1A and apart from google giving "april 1 backwards" links, in my area of the world one gets nothing audio, so that kind of stuff is perfect to keep anybody else out...

I think if not knowing whether a piece does qualify beforehand as apparently it is judged, better stay out by default and go to a forum giving best chance to find others to discuss with.

Last edited:
Lirpa Labs was a spoof company made up by the engineers and reviewers at the now defunct Audio Magazine, inc. The components were really funny, as were the specifications and reviews. I recall one spec being, “it sulks if looked at.”

I just picked up a Kenwood KD-5033 AF turntable, it's pretty nice, but I don't think it will dethrone my Technics SL1300 MKI or my LAB-440. Good looking table though.

Yes, things have changed since vinyl has become popular. There were actually technical discussions about what makes an amp create the best sound because of the experience of others and the studying of the different designs. Most of those members no longer join in the general discussion forums. So now because of the popularity we have allot of consumers that don’t have allot of knowledge doing a show and tell. So there really isn’t a discussion based upon what anyone knows...reading just isn’t as popular as it use to be !!!

Then again, maybe those knowledgeable folks can’t find anything interesting to comment about in the general discussion forums because threads are getting moved !!!!

Last edited:
OK ... I'll start.

The Lenco lamp is the top performer ever when it comes to platter lighting.
There, I said it. Discussion over!

And now for the obigatory great picture ... drumroll please!

lencolamp-lit.jpg

Anyway, never really saw the sense of this particular forum. Anyone who actually browses the forum can pretty much figure out what's popular by what gets posted elsewhere.
That is a nice lamp!!!

OK, I will try. I sold my ARC LS15 Preamplifier (4 6922 tubes) to move to a LS16MkII (2 6H30 Tubes) which is the current tube used by ARC. The differences to me were greater dynamics, quieter background and a wider deeper sound stage. The top end has greater speed and spatial detail, and the bass has more definition and more low end control. I have owned 3 ARC Preamplifiers and have enjoyed each of them. The fact that they offer 2 sets of balanced outputs is a huge bonus since I use two crossovers with balanced inputs 26ft from the preamplifier in my main rig.
Regards,
Jim

That is a nice lamp!!!

Yup ... kind of hard to get hold of too as either there weren't many made, or many that survived. It's a b!tch trying to find a replacement bulb for it, but I went ahead and resocketed mine years ago to use a standard sewing machine lamp. Also had the mercury switch go out on it - originally replaced that with a switch, but found an off the shelf substitute that works just like the original. Cover goes up, light goes on, cover goes down, light goes off, cover goes up, light goes on, cover goes down, light goes off, cover goes up, light goes on, cover goes down, light goes off, cover goes up, light goes on, cover goes down, light goes off, cover goes up, light goes on, cover goes down, light goes off ... you get the idea. ;-}

The reviews of the Lirpa equipment can be read at americanradiohistory.com in the April issues of Audio Magazine from back in the day. Don't know exactly which years but you are gonna want to look over a lot of those magazines might was well enjoy the April issues.

https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Audio-Magazine.htm

Lirpa Lives!! Check the date of the article ...

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/history-lirpa-labs

I think my favorite was the sound bar ...

The Lirpa is capable of some incredible SPL as well, enough that your neighbors will hear every note of music, every line of dialogue. Dr. Lirpa informs us that this was a required design feature.

Back
Top Bottom