SUT or outboard phono stage?

phastrone

I'm currently using a Musical Surroundings Nova II phono preamp which I bought in anticipation of trying an LOMC in the future. (I'm currently using a Sumiko Blackbird HOMC.) The Nova II is versatile in that there are many loading and gain choices, but I've heard and read that a good SUT might be a better choice. Opinions?

Opinions? Well, it is mostly a matter of opinion rather than hard fact or overwhelming consensus. There have been many posts on AK over the years where people have expressed a preference for using a SUT into an mm phonostage rather than using a solid state mc phonostage. You'll also find many contrary opinions expressed. In my exprerience a good SUT into a good mm phonostage sounds sublime.

I've tried a few adjustable MM/MC "headamps" and compared them to some high quality SUT's and the SUT's came out on top every time but you must be aware that the LOMC to SUT match must be absolutely correct to support this conclusion. An adjustable headamp can be like the old cliche - "a jack of all trades, but a master of none" - and it'll be handy enough to allow you to get by with a broad spectrum of cartridges but, IMO, a properly spec'd SUT that's constructed for a specific cartridge or cartridges will outshine it. However, bear in mind that if you plan to utilize various different LOMC's buying several different high-quality SUT's to suit them can get pretty expensive.

I'm currently using a Musical Surroundings Nova II phono preamp which I bought in anticipation of trying an LOMC in the future. (I'm currently using a Sumiko Blackbird HOMC.) The Nova II is versatile in that there are many loading and gain choices, but I've heard and read that a good SUT might be a better choice. Opinions?
This is one of those areas where personal preference rules. You've got a good sounding, highly adjustable phono pre in the Nova. My suggestion is get an LOMC and try it into the Nova. Then find an SUT and run it into the Nova in MM mode and see which sounds best to YOUR ears.

The most flexible SUT I've ever used with great performance is a vintage Fidelity Research FRT-4.... I much prefer it to my Cinemag 1254 and it even has more gain levels. Will get great performance from just about any cart

Back
Top Bottom