Switch to tube amplification

A Fisher 800-B is an EXCELLENT tube receiver. I have one in my TV room system. This receiver is capable of excellent sound quality (when properly restored, and assuming reasonably high-sensitivity speakers), and has unique aesthetics (i.e., dual slide rule tuning).

FWIW – reportedly - President Kennedy had a Fisher 800-B in the White House …

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-14_18-36-35.png
    upload_2018-3-14_18-36-35.png
    737.7 KB · Views: 20
Keep in mind, tubes do hum a little and when you have high-efficiency speakers it's noticeable when volume is off.

I ran my Heresy's using my Mac MC40's and later upgraded to HeathKit AS101's, basically Altec Valencias in nicer cabinets.
Anyway, I have had several tube amps on those Heathkits and NONE of them hum. The HeathKits are around 100db/meter/watt efficient so they would be very unforgiving of any hum present.
Nothing so far has surpassed the sound of those MC40's, they keep going back into the rotation although a nice Scott 222C is in the lineup at the moment.

BillWojo

Last edited:
I ran my Heresy's using my Mac MC40's and later upgraded to HeathKit AS101's, basically Altec Valencias in nicer cabinets.
Anyway, I have had several tube amps on those Heathkits and NONE of them hum. The HeathKits are around 100db/meter/watt efficient so they would be very unforgiving of any hum present.
Nothing so far has surpassed the sound of those MC40's, they keep going back into the rotation although a nice Scott 222B is in the lineup at the moment.

BillWojo

Yeah, I don’t get any hum from my PAS Maggie combo but I think my KG4’s are only 94db or so.

That's awesome! That's why I'm saving for the Dynamo SEP...supposedly extremely quiet. If the performance/sound I have now was coming from a silent, black hole noise floor...it would be insane. Hopefully I attain that once I make the purchase. If I do, and it there is further improvement (which according to Single-ended enthusiasts, there should be)...well, I may have purchased my last component! Those Zu Dirty Weekends r pretty sexy tho, lol...
Nothing so far has surpassed the sound of those MC40's, they keep going back into the rotation although a nice Scott 222B is in the lineup at the moment.

BillWojo

I keep the cabinet because it matches my speakers. If I win the lottery I 'll have a new one built from scratch thats a little taller and significantly longer to give 2 sections 0f 22 inches and two of 20 inches instead of two 19 and one 17 inch section.

Right now I have my DCPP amp designed by Pete Millett and an Oddwatt Alpha, both DIY tube amps alternating between my Klipsch KG3.5 and Boston Acoustic A100 speakers. Both amps sound great on both sets of speakers. I played around with vintage amps for a while but then moved to building my own tube amps. I plan to build a DIY SS amp in addition to building a pair of Full Range speakers. I use a Technics SL1200 Mk2 with a Denon DL110 cartridge.

A Fisher 800-B is an EXCELLENT tube receiver. I have one in my TV room system. This receiver is capable of excellent sound quality (when properly restored, and assuming reasonably high-sensitivity speakers), and has unique aesthetics (i.e., dual slide rule tuning).

FWIW – reportedly - President Kennedy had a Fisher 800-B in the White House …

Agree, have a Fisher 800B and love it. Outstanding collection by the way!

In my HT 7.1 setup I have a pair of LSI split LaScalas FL & FR connected to a QSC USA1310, plenty of power there to get the seats rockin and it works in that application.
In the living room I have LaScalas with Dynaco Mark IV tube amps, despite having the original 29 year old lowly TYPE AL crossovers, these sound better than I can describe. Once I install the Crites AL-3 crossovers I'll try them with both my dynaco's as well as my McIntosh MC30's. I suspect I'm in for a real treat.

Here is a short vid of the La Scalas (when I first got them) with the Dynacos

Back
Top Bottom