SX-5570 after one year.

SX550

About a year ago I got my uncle's SX-5570, cleaned it and parked it in view for everyone to behold.

2ijmfdd.jpg

To this day it has not moved an inch and didn't go wrong once.
Truly amazed at this piece of ancient history and totally in love with it. :D

Next year it will be its 40th birthday and is still completely un-restored.

Only problem is the hiss ... but i think after a recap that could be resolved ?
I have a basic soldering skill but will not touch those components myself.
If I screw up I will want to kill myself.

Could i be looking at a few hundred or more to have this done by a professional ?

I'm having it fully restored soon with new caps and transistors, should cost a maximum of €400 she said.

I thought it was way more expensive.

About a year ago I got my uncle's SX-5570, cleaned it and parked it in view for everyone to behold.

2ijmfdd.jpg

To this day it has not moved an inch and didn't go wrong once.
Truly amazed at this piece of ancient history and totally in love with it. :D

Next year it will be its 40th birthday and is still completely un-restored.

Only problem is the hiss ... but i think after a recap that could be resolved ?
I have a basic soldering skill but will not touch those components myself.
If I screw up I will want to kill myself.

Could i be looking at a few hundred or more to have this done by a professional ?

Looks so good....

SX550; GORGEOUS SX-5570 (SX-950)
Caps and transistors are relatively cheap. It's the labor to remove the old and install the new that's a killer. The hiss is indicative of transistors breaking down, specifically the 2sa725, 2sa726, their compliments, and a few others that need to be replaced. These low noise transistors are known troublemakers and as such must be replaced. The Power Amp board lists Q7 and Q8 as 2sc1628 (primary part) with an alternate of 2sc1451. The 2sc1451 is known as the #1 problematictransistor for the PIONEER's of the 70's. This one MUST BE REPLACED period. replacement is KSC3503.

You can help keep the costs down by doing the capacitors yourself and if you feel that transistors are way above your paygrade, do have a tech do the transistors. If you get the transistors with a few spares per part #, then you don't have the tech's mark-up on them. If you DO the caps, test the unit after each board, and make sure you use a DBT when testing. DBT is a DIM BULB TESTER, (google Dim Bulb Tester). You may have to modify the US version to accomodate the Belgium power requirements. How you do that I don't know. There are some members here from Germany/Belgium/France/Netherlands that would know how the DBT is constructed in the EU.

:)I'll swap ya a SX-939:beerchug: that's been totally rehabbed within the last:naughty: 4 years. :deal::music::music:

Seriously, I wish I had access to a SX-9930 Front Panel and Dial panel. That black panel set's it off just right!

Larry

Nice! Gotta love those Black Pioneers!

Yes, totally agree. The black Pioneers do look georgous. Not many around it seems.
I was lucky enough to grab a bargain on a SX-690. It too being a black one.
I'll post up some pics in another thread

I sold the Bose 901 for €500 :) and got the original akai speakers back in the living room. much nicer and now have the budget to have it professionally restored.

Back
Top Bottom