SX-737 trying to bring back to life.

R Jackson

Hello you guys, I just signed up on here yesterday because Google brought me here from looking up a SX-737 my friend gave me. He bought it new when he graduated high school around 1974. So far all I have done is replaced a chewed up power cord and done some vacuum cleaning of inside. I'm not new to electronics but bad rusty. I turned 41 yesterday and was one of the last classes to go through electronics at the local community college back in the early 90s. Shortly after they did away with that degree all together when most stuff started becoming throw away. Mostly my dealings with electronics have been from Ham radio. (KE5KBG) This is my first attempt at trying to get an old receiver going. After replacing the power cord and flipping the on toggle I get nothing. Going to try using some of this good info you guys provided here on this forum.
THANKS
ROBERT JACKSON

Definitely use the search function while you wait for the experts to chime in. There's so much information on this site, good information, that will keep you busy for hours. I have a 737 that I bought in working condition a few years ago and listen to it almost daily. Has a great sound.

I have been reading a lot about them in this forum and have printed the schematic out on plotter. My buddy must have smoked about 3 packs a day from the looks of it. Took me an hour just to scrub the knobs. It was free so hopefully I won't have a fortune in it when I'm done.

I would start by checking the bias and DC offset. Be aware the manual has the adjustment pots mixed up. You can find the corrected version on this site. If you search you will find a thread that explains the error. If your lucky maybe the receiver is in protection and just needs adjustment.

Before you get to the BIAS and OFFSET (which assumes a working unit!) check ALL the fuses with an ohmmeter. Visual inspection is only good if the fuses have been hammered to hell and gone. Replace any fuse only once! 1st Look for a fuse with a plastic sheath(Primary fuse) on it near the power cord. Check it for continuity. If it checks out, check out the fuse panel inside the bottom of the unit (open bottom panel). Put the unit on a DIM BULB TESTER (75W-100W), Plug in and throw switch AFTER attaching Volt-meter leads to the far side (component side) of the fuses. If you got voltages at the fuse panels with just the primary fuse the transformer is probably ok. Install the fuses one at a time and test, still on the DBT, until all fuses in and you have a dimming lamp. If the lamp DOES NOT DIM AND GOES FULL BRIGHT, You have a short in the last circuit you just powered up. You'll have to fix the problems 1st then go for the restoration .

The 737 is a very good receiver, IMO the pick of the litter for the x3x series. This includes the 1010.
IMNSHO, The 737 is probably the best receiver PIONEER built but the 780 is the most popular for some odd reason.

What is the Mouser part number for a Sanyo D313D? I found an old forum post for it but the part number they gave does not match.

I did have a blown fuse inside the plastic tube. I have some blade fuses and holders, think I will put one of those in later and see what happens. Had to google the dim bulb tester. I will have to make me one. Thanks a dim bulb tester is awesome I have never used one.

Last edited:
The 737 is a very good receiver, IMO the pick of the litter for the x3x series. This includes the 1010.
IMNSHO, The 737 is probably the best receiver PIONEER built but the 780 is the most popular for some odd reason.
I agree about the x3x series. Could you expand on your opinion on the 737 vs. the others? Either here or in a new thread. I'd be very interested in opinions on various models in that series. Also, why the series is better than the x50 series.

I think 780s are just more available. My first Pioneer was a 780, but I'd sell it if I got my hands on an 838 or higher, or an 850 or higher.

Search sx-737 threads and Sx-939 threads in this forum. I've done this more than a few times and it gets old after a while.

x3x vs. the x50's? You ever watch the "GLENN MILLER STORY" with Jimmy Stewart? If you have, Remember when he 1st went in the Army and he had a band on the Field and they were playing St. Louis Blues and it sounded like everyone had a stick up his back side?(X50 and X80 series to me! too staid, sterile, and analytical). Then when the Col. wasn't looking he picked up the beat and made it so the band and everyone was enjoying the music?(X2X and x3x series does that to me.) There will be as many guys who will argue just the opposite as agree with me, so it's highly subjective.

It's kinda like Tomato/Tomatoe or Potato/Potatoe . Depends on where your from, how you were taught to spell it and pronounce it. Both are correct so it's semantics which are highly subjective.

I think "KeithD" from La Cross no less, was bashing the 1010? :D
He' must be mistaken. He has to be mistaken. :rflmao:
By the way, Lac Cross is a fantastic town!
Dan Q. and I prefer "toe"

Search sx-737 threads and Sx-939 threads in this forum. I've done this more than a few times and it gets old after a while.

x3x vs. the x50's? You ever watch the "GLENN MILLER STORY" with Jimmy Stewart? If you have, Remember when he 1st went in the Army and he had a band on the Field and they were playing St. Louis Blues and it sounded like everyone had a stick up his back side?(X50 and X80 series to me! too staid, sterile, and analytical). Then when the Col. wasn't looking he picked up the beat and made it so the band and everyone was enjoying the music?(X2X and x3x series does that to me.) There will be as many guys who will argue just the opposite as agree with me, so it's highly subjective.

It's kinda like Tomato/Tomatoe or Potato/Potatoe . Depends on where your from, how you were taught to spell it and pronounce it. Both are correct so it's semantics which are highly subjective.
Haven't seen the movie, but know what you mean. There is a clear difference to me listening to my 780 vs. my SA-8100. The 780 is good, but the 8100 is amazing. So, I think we are on the same page. I have never heard anything from the x50 series, so I have no comparison; however, lots of people seem to view the x50 line as Pioneer's best. But, as I said, I've never heard one. The cosmetics are a bit bland to me. I like the contrasts on the x3x and x2x series. So, I mostly wondered why you feel the 737 is the best in the x3x series, but as you say, I will search for threads on that.

I think "KeithD" from La Cross no less, was bashing the 1010? :D
He' must be mistaken. He has to be mistaken. :rflmao:
By the way, Lac Cross is a fantastic town!
Dan Q. and I prefer "toe"
Would not mind a 1010, but for functionality I'd be happy with an 838 or 939.

LaX (as locals sometimes call it) is a great place to live. As in the Old Style commercials, it's "God's country..."

I have family members there and visit often. I would like to retire there if its possible - when I can?
Back to the Thread.

Larry posted this in one of my rebuild threads. The part about the amp boards apply to the SX-1010. I think the SX-737 can be accessed without un-mounting the board. It should be a sticky:

Generally how it's proposed. Fix it 1st, THEN Resto. Power supply 1st. Then with the power supply voltages tamed, work back from the PROTECTION BOARD 1st, Main AMP, Tone Control , preamp, Eq boards. Replace all of the Electrolytics, and the listed transistors. When you order the transistors, download and print out the data sheets. You WILL NEED them for the transistor pinouts, which in 99% of the cases are different than the originals.

When you re-install or replace the outputs, use new mica insulators and white silicon based heat sink compound, NO ARCTIC SILVER!. Some guys use thermal pads, but I don't care for them on the higher powered units.

This ain't a weekend job. Maybe a month of weekends. GO SLOW and work ONE BOARD at a time. If you run into a question or problem, STOP, ask the question or state the problem and WAIT for the answers here.

Test after each board so you have a limited repair area to worry about. Take the manual down to office depot and ask them to blow up the main schematic to a as large a size and still read everything clearly. Mark with a red sharpie each part replaced as you replace them. When you get a board done and it proves out ok, put an X thru the board drawing. This way there is no ambiguity as to what you have done on the boards and which boards are done. If there is a question on what part # to be used for a particular part and it's not on the list, STOP AND ASK!

On the tuner board there is really nothing on a general overhaul addressed except a couple of caps that MARK THE FIXER (MTF) has mentioned in the past. Do nothing else to the tuner, except cleaning the variable cap(VC) with NON-RESIDUE ELECTRONICS CLEANER such as CRC "QD" Electronics cleaner (home depot has it in electrical dept.) There is a thread on cleaning the VC in either the General Audio or DIY Forums. DO NO ADJUSTMENTS ON THE TUNER UNLESS YOU HAVE THE KNOWLEDGE AND EQUIPMENT to ADJUST.

To get slack in the wiring so you can lift boards, undo the wiring looms from the clips they are held in. DO NOT UNWRAP THE WIRE FROM THE PINS. If you must, as a last resort, De-solder the WHOLE PIN from the board and tag it (a roll of masking tape comes in handy for this stuff). Get a couple of thick towels the wife allows you to screw with. Use these when you dis-assemble the AMPLIFIER BOARDS from the chassis along with the heatsinks. The towels come in handy to insulate the amp boards while un-mounted and you have to power up for short periods of time.

MOST IMPORTANT!!!!!! On the STV-3 or STV-4 Diodes. They are mounted either on the main heatsinks, or on one of the board transistor heatsinks. Either way loosen the screw carefully and dis-engage the STV WITHOUT BENDING THE LEADS within 1/2" of the STV. If they break, contact MTF by PM and ask nicely if he could/will repair them. He has a jig he uses to repair them with very good success. This is your LAST resort to saving them, as replacements are only available on PARTS RECEIVERS. They aren't available anywhere else to my knowledge.

Make sure you have a good soldering Iron with extra tips, soldering flux (rosin type), 60/40 or 63/37 Rosin core solder (brand doesn't matter too much, although KESTER is probably the best but more expensive) Rat Shack stuff is OK, and does a good job. You'll also need a DE-SOLDERING TOOL, either a suction syringe, DeSoldering iron, or a plain squeeze bulb. (I use all 3 for different jobs.)

Your meter: INSULATE the PROBE ENDS with heatshrink or Tape leaving only the absolute end tip exposed. This keeps the "AW SHIT's" and Magic Smoke to a minimum or alleviates them altogether in case the probe slips. Get some MINI GRABBERS. These come in handy for those tight small areas. FRESH BATTERIES with spares! A few alligator jumpers come in handy. At least 18" long.

Back
Top Bottom