SX-850 phono amp stop working?

I'm in the PNW, about 2000 miles from Arkansas.
ManyMoonsAudio is in Oklahoma. I understand that he does very good work.
Echowars, who does superlative work, is in Missouri, but he hasn't posted here in nearly a year. I don't know if he's taking in work.
Markthefixer is in Illinois, he's an expert on all things Pioneer, but I don't know if he is accepting any work either.

I'm not sure who else might be kinda close to you. This isn't a field burgeoning with experts. Sadly.

I'm in the PNW, about 2000 miles from Arkansas.
ManyMoonsAudio is in Oklahoma. I understand that he does very good work.
Echowars, who does superlative work, is in Missouri, but he hasn't posted here in nearly a year. I don't know if he's taking in work.
Markthefixer is in Illinois, he's an expert on all things Pioneer, but I don't know if he is accepting any work either.

I'm not sure who else might be kinda close to you. This isn't a field burgeoning with experts. Sadly.

I'm not sure where PNW is but Markthefixer has helped me out a few times in the past, great guy! Echowars, seems to be a great guy as well,I have talked with him a few times as well about problems. he is only about 3 hours north of me.
After sleeping on what you said about doing my 850 first to learn on, that makes a lot of sense . Maybe i should just repair the problems with the 1250 then put it back into service and then i could restore the 850 first. I will give that some thought. it,s kind of funny to me i had not thought of doing it that way before.

Just to let you know a little about myself. I work in Oil and Gas field, I specialize on diagnosis and repair of Cat Engines, and over the years that has become more and more electrical. I have been in this field for 25 years and do a lot of training other tech's my self. A big part of my job is helping others diagnose problems over the phone or by email. So i have somewhat of an understanding of what it takes for guy's like you to sit and reply to people you are trying to help on line like this. I also understand how important it is to follow the directions of who is spending there time trying to help you. For me it's very humbling to be repairing something and be the ( Newbie) in the field! lol
I guess i said all of this to say I have great respect for you spending you time trying to help others learn this field. Any time I'm working with you on something i will try to follow your directions to the best of my understanding and such as last night when i screw up i'm big enough to say i did so we can move forward from there.
So again I want to think you and the other guy's on hear that spend there time and knowledge trying to help strangers out on these forms.

Troubleshooting and repair by remote is a pain. I try to just give little nudges rather than a step by step walk through.

well thank you for the nudging! i have some work i need to get done this morning. when i return i will deoxit everything, and report back.
After i get this phono usable and the 850 back together. I will look into getting my 1250 up and running, Then i will order the parts to restorer the 850 as you suggested. May i look to you for nudging when i need help? Have you ever considered accepting a consulting fee for helping someone on a project like that?

Consulting fee? It would be nice, but I help out just as a payback for this great source of info.

LOL i Understand and very much appreciate that! I'm not afraid of taking on a projects like this, I love learning new things when i get the opportunity to do so! But its kind of a scarier feeling when your only source of help is to post something and hope whoever responds knows what they are talking about! So yes to pay someone a little something to have a source to ask questions and benefit from there knowledge would seem to make sense.

well i deoxit all the switches and pots 3 times, i still have noise on the lift all the time and on the right if i turn it up with out the record playing . select any thing its dead quiet. i tried changing tables then switching back but no change! should i start checking voltage on the phono board, or start pulling caps and checking them?

Nah. It's probably transistors on the phono board. If there are any 2SA725/726/750, can them and replace with KSA992.
It is on phono only, right?

yes there is 2 2SA725 's and i have the KSA992 to replace them . there is 4 of 2SC1313 should i replace them and if so what with?

It won't hurt to replace 1313, but they are a pretty reliable device, so IMO it's not totally necessary. KSC1845 works there.

It sounds great!!! thank you for all of your help!
i replaced the two 2sa725's they was Q1 and Q2 but i still had the same problem. so i looked on AK and found a list of the replacement numbers and it said i could use the KSC1845 to replace the 1313 so replaced Q3 threw Q6 it Q4 and Q5 causing the problem ! but it sounds great now!

thanks again for all the help!

Glad you got it. See Post #2. One or both of those may have gone "omnijunction" on you and pulled hard on the power supply.

Tarior is right about the 2SC1313, but they are right next to the 725s, and new devices might spec a little better (depending upon their gain code).

well thanks for you help, I was lucky i had these laying here.i robbed them out of a order i had already ordered in for my 1250 so now i will reorder and few extra for spares.
AK's has always been great to help me when I need to repair something like this! I had not been on here for sometime, and i noticed i was no longer a subscriber so i payed my subscription again, i figure that is the least i can do sense i get so much help form this site!

so thanks again for your help! Tarior has been great to work with on this as well!

Back
Top Bottom