SX-950 Relay Bypassed and Burnt Resistors

There are nearly complete BOMs in the factory service manual.

The main amp board shows:

D1-D4, 1S2473, 40 PRV, 300 mA ==> 512-1N4148

D7-D10, 1S1885, 100PRV, 1A ==> 863-1N4004G

Awesome!
Thanks Watthour.
I think these were in my last Mouser order. But my BOM notes didn't say where they were used.
I'll check after work.

Here's where I'm at so far..
Amp board Recapped and many resistors changed out..
20180726_190123.jpg
Moving on to power supply and protection board

Yes...
20180729_195847.jpg
I fact, I just soldered up the new relay, and without any Output transistors installed I decided to give it a short test!
The bulb goes dim pretty quickly and the relay clicks after 4-5 seconds..

I think that will be enough for today tho. Tomorrow I'll poke around and take some voltages..

welp.. Bad news.
As mentioned, I planned on taking voltages off the power supply tonight.
I printed out the diagram and grabbed a pencil and powered her on.

About 2 minutes in, I was about to take reading on pin 3 when I heard what I thought might be the relay click. About 8 seconds later, the dim bulb tester went bright I seen a puff of smoke come from Q4 as I simultaneously hit the power switch to off.
(No output transistors are connected to the power amp yet)
Q4 was indeed very hot to the touch immediately after the incident.

Looks like I'm starting over on the power supply again.

Would appreciate any feedback you all could provide.

On the Power Supply, The KSA1013YBU I placed in Q4 had correct pin out. (see image above)
I pulled the Zeners ZD1 & ZD2 and checked them with multimeter Diode setting during the rebuild. They checked good, but now ZD1 is passing voltage in both directions. ( I don't see a zd12 on diagram)
I'm continuing to pull and retest everything.

On the Power Supply, The KSA1013YBU I placed in Q4 had correct pin out. (see image above)
I pulled the Zeners ZD1 & ZD2 and checked them with multimeter Diode setting during the rebuild. They checked good, but now ZD1 is passing voltage in both directions. ( I don't see a zd12 on diagram)
I'm continuing to pull and retest everything.
Yeah, a bit hard to test Zener's they are not like a normal diode. Just replace 'em, not a lot of extra cost and they do go flaky with old age......

I'm ready to try this again.. But thought I should check in with you guys first.

I have completely gone thru the Power Supply and Protection Board again, (since post #31)
Replaced the Zeners, and traced all wires from those boards just to make sure whom ever bypassed the relay didn't re-wire or bypass anything else.
No Output Transistors in Power Amp yet.

The smallest bulb I have for DBT is 60W...
I have powered it up for about 30 seconds to this point.. Bulb goes bright like normal then dims to a faint glow after a few seconds.
Relay is not clicking on. So I shut it down. Transistors are not getting hot at this point.

How should I proceed?

Back
Top Bottom