SX1980 Heatsink Grilles

Jon1982

Just me being curious, this one..

My 1980 has what I would describe as grilles which cover the heatsinks. Looking at pictures of other 1980's I'm struggling to find another one that has these. Its clearly factory, but I can't see them in the service manual. My unit is a European 220 / 240V model so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it. Perhaps to meet some sort of legislation?

I've seen pictures of them before but never in person on a unit. They are rare and I don't know what the criteria was for equipping them on so few SX-1980's. If I ever ran across a pair for sale, I would grab them in a heartbeat. And yes, please show us a pic.

Hi Jon1982,

I've got the grills on my SX-1980 here in the U.K. They really tidy up the sides if you have the unit fully 'on display'.
The grills came with the unit and mine is also a Multi Voltage European issue with a low serial number of XL8400009S dating it to December 1977.
So, it seems that the grills may be for the European market? Very rare to find as spares. The last time I saw a pair for sale was about three years ago going for $175.00 on a U.S. website.
Wouldn't like to guess what they would sell for today if found! My estimate would be in the region of $275.00 or more depending also on condition!

IMG_20180418_083626120.jpg
IMG_20180418_083610664.jpg
IMG_20180418_083615628.jpg

Zebulon, I'm glad I allowed you to indulge yourself :)

I must say Idunno, that unit looks in fantastic condition. I couple of my grill slats have been pushed in, although I suppose I could take them off and straighten them. Although, if they're worth that much, I might take them off and sell them! My unit is in a recess and I wonder if they might impede air flow over the heatsinks a little.

Would like to tell you my serial number but some clown as at some point attempted to piddle the label off and mutilated it. It ends in 00051S...

Thanks Jon1982,

I placed some new sapele veneer on the original case as it needed refreshing. Had two solid Sapele 'cheeks' cut to size to match. Total refurb inside took place about a year ago.
If you have a bit of time you can read about my SX-1980 journey at: www.sx1980.com

If your unit is within a recess I would remove the covers to allow very slightly more airflow to take place. Although, within a recess, fresh cool air would have a problem accessing your unit. It would be re-circulating the warm air generated which would not help the unit to cool down.
Selling the covers is an option but bere in mind that they are extremely rare and makes your unit very unique and will help with its current & future value.
If you attempt to straighten out a couple of your grill slats please make sure you do this on a very flat surface (hard) and not push them too far over as this may crack the finish.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Not only rare but very cool looking. I like the finished look.
The denting of the metal causes it to stretch making it difficult to flatten out.
A metal worker could get it back into shape but that would require repainting. It would still have some indication of damage. Not worth the effort.

Unless your really bringing the house down with the SX-1980 and your speakers are 8 Ohms, there shouldn't be any real problems with cooling. Have you moved the 80V regulators to the external heatsinks? If you have, even less to worry about on the whole.

I wouldn't bother removing the extra grills. They also help protect the edges of the heatsinks which can sometimes get snapped off which in the end, is going to detract from the look and the cooling capability!

I placed some new sapele veneer on the original case as it needed refreshing. Had two solid Sapele 'cheeks' cut to size to match. Total refurb inside took place about a year ago.
If you have a bit of time you can read about my SX-1980 journey at: www.sx1980.com
[/QUOTE]

Looks good Frank I finally sold the SX-1980 case I made special for you that you stuck me with

Thanks Amos, good to hear from you finally at this late stage. I believe you were going to make two lovely SX-1980 cases on your next 'run list' of which I was interested in buying one. Unfortunately, our communications broke off for some reason as I was awaiting a final confirmation regarding the payment process and a convenient time for the courier to collect to be shipped to the UK. Glad you have sold both cases as seen below. They are still in demand as is your brilliant work!!

IMG_5732.JPG

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom