System build-up suggestions

Innivus

Hey all, so I've recently decided to try and swap out my admittedly low-level system for something a bit more 'high end'. While I've got more funds now that I'm older, I can't quite see myself buying every component at once. So I'm looking for some advice on what order I should work through this swap. I tend to listen to a pretty eclectic list of music - lots of indie rock, jazz, some classical, some hip-hop. My thanks in advance for any suggestions on either order or pieces to think about including.

Here's what I'm working with:
Technics SL-D3 w/ AT CN5625AL cartridge
Harmon-Kardon AVR 146
Jamo S426 speakers
some piece o'junk phono preamp that I'm too embarrassed to identify

I was thinking for the following, and my rough budget:
1) upgrade Phono pre-amp to a Vincent pho-8 or pho-700 ($400)
2) Swap out speakers for better floor speakers, maybe a pair of used infinity's I've got my eyes on ($700)
3) upgrade cartridge - AT95E or Ortofon M2 ($100)
4) upgrade the amp. Not sure if I want to continue using an integrated Amp or switch to a monoblock/pre-amp set-up. From what I've read, I've really been impressed with the Vincent gear. Maybe an SA31mk-SA331 set-up or the SV236MK. In either case, I'll have to put aside a few pennies to get something that I'll like and will last.

Thanks again for any thoughts. And if this thread shouldn't be in this particular sub-forum, my apologies.

Welcome to AK! Those used infinitys are really nice speakers for sure! monoblocks and preamps are nice for sure if you get good stuff.

Back
Top Bottom