Table top am/fm radios

Coronado%20Adventurer%20Model%2035RA37.jpg
Coronado Adventurer. Not mine but looks like it. Two new tubes, new caps, good cleanup and it works well.

My wife told me that I never met a radio I didn’t like! I even once bought an old tube floor standing console. Got it running and had it on our enclosed porch in our old city home. The radio had an international band in addition to AM and FM. One night I was sitting in the porch and listening to the BBC. My wife walked by and asked “How’s the war going?”:rflmao:”​

Sangean WR-1

Almost one year since activity so I'm going to put this one up; new to me. Playing on my desk as I write. Black wood edition. Selectivity and sensitivity excellent on both AM and FM (even only using the built-in FM antenna). Audio excellent. Highly recommend.

The clear, polyurethane cabinet, 'prison model' is interesting. Have to keep it in mind, when they send me up to the big house.

Sangean WR1.jpg

Dunno if I posted this before but I'll nominate the Cambridge Sound Works Model 88.

Thank you for posting this up. Been patiently working on getting me one. The info we can find here in the AK community certainly is nice. Helps a bunch.

I went to town on a Sony High Fidelity ICF-9650W AM/FM. In aged stock form it wasnt too great. Replaced the amp IC, wires, resistors with 1% metal films, caps with Fine Gold/Silmic and all transistors. Couldnt believe the sound, comparable to CD quality. Best table radio I ever heard.

What a cool project; I also have an ICF-9650W . . . I'd like to try this type of a restoration. I see that IC701 is a 12-pin LA4230. eizner23, if you are out there, I wonder what you replaced it with (is there a modern equivelant/upgrade?) Maybe I'll start a new thread to document the parts list and get some help. Thanks for any advice.

1C38882D-3096-4DE7-B25F-A4A7B0B7C8CF.jpeg 07223DBD-C91B-4123-A6AB-BDEBF4F4BE50.jpeg When this thread started the original poster recalled his Dad’s Zenith TransOceanic Radio.

Here are my two, a 1959 B600 and 1971 7000. There’s a FB group devoted to the ZTO. Both of mine have been restored and work very well.

make/model?

Quest 601 AM/FM Vacuum Tube Radio.

fwiw... OM had my receipt in it. Bought it in 2006. Uses a pair of el84 output tubes. Never had one problem with it in 14 yrs. The one above is the mono version, they also make/made a stereo version which looks similar to the mono one but a little bigger and has grill cloth on both sides of the dial. I bought both the stereo and mono.. had them for years but thought the mono one sounded a little better.. stereo one went to a friend.

My Sony ICF-9550W tabletop radio has been following me around since the Fall of 1977. It has provided tunes in small apartments, garages, shops and all sorts of nooks and crannies here and there.

It got a refresh a few years ago and sounds better than ever.

sony icf-9550w.jpg

This is our kitchen radio -- I am very happy with it. I especially like the fact that it has a "hot" AM tuner. I can receive WBZ-AM in Boston (120 miles away) even in the daytime. I just have to make sure the LED lights in the kitchen are turned off, otherwise the RFI hash wipes it out :)

71aXC-GepuL._SL1000_.jpg

http://www.sangean.com/products/product.asp?mid=153

The Tivoli basic FM radio is very nice, too. Do they still make it?
Our daughter has a Tivoli PAL we got her when she matriculated into college (2002) -- she and her husband still use it regularly.

I recently bought a very similar Sangean, the WR-22. It looks basically the same as the one above, but black front and walnut case, and has some newer tech like Bluetooth. I’m using it as my clock radio, replacing an earlier Sangean. I like the WR-22 a lot. It can pick up a weak College FM station I like without any static, something no table radio I’ve owned before (including Tivoli, Proton and Nakamichi) has been able to do.

I kept passing this sad looking GE AM/FM clock radio at an antique store we frequent. It was sitting up high on top of a display cabinet and had a $6.50 price tag on it with the notation "might work". I felt sorry for it and eventually picked it up and brought it home, with low expectations. Long story short - it plays excellent and keeps time really accurately.

i-6zzCV58-L.jpg

Quest 601 AM/FM Vacuum Tube Radio.

fwiw... OM had my receipt in it. Bought it in 2006. Uses a pair of el84 output tubes. Never had one problem with it in 14 yrs. The one above is the mono version, they also make/made a stereo version which looks similar to the mono one but a little bigger and has grill cloth on both sides of the dial. I bought both the stereo and mono.. had them for years but thought the mono one sounded a little better.. stereo one went to a friend.

Thanks!

As a kid I got one of these for a birthday present; I think because my dad saw my interest in technical things, how things work. It worked since this made me look into the physics of sound, read some books, build some speakers, go to engineering school. I still think these Zenith "circle of sound" table radios are cool. Zenith made other configurations of their "circle of sound" but this is the only one I've owned.

zenith%20surround%20sound%20table%20radio.jpg

Back
Top Bottom