Tannoy owners thread

BeerCan

Tá mé ar meisce.
Don't know how much traction this will get but I thought I would start a Tannoy owners thread.

I recently purchase Tannoy Kensington GR speakers for my living room and I am loving them. Something about the way they deliver the music just sounds so good. I guess it has something to do with the construction of the driver but they just sound so clear and coherent.

The cabs are a thing of beauty, the care and artistry that went into them is just amazing. My only wish is that I could have afforded the bigger ones :)

Not the best picture
IMG_20150527_144657178.jpg

So who else is using Tannoy?

I purchased a pair of the slim mercureys a couple of years ago off fleabay for a very good price. I think they were discontinued. I use them mounted as surrounds, but I've put them on 27" stands to hear how they do as stereo mains. They punch above their weight, that's for sure! Very accurate and solid mids, non-fatiguing treble. No bass to speak of. Tannoy is a very well-respected name and I would not hesitate to audition their larger residential speakers for use as my primary mains.

Hey beercan
Congratulations, they are beautiful.
But, there is something missing in that picture. That would be the Luxman Class A intergrated. What's with that?
Enjoy!

Congrats :music:
Bought My Monitor Golds, new in '72. Grf boxes.
Sounds are Breathtaking.
Few drivers even come close sound wise.. and I've looked.
Those Onken type/design Boxes ? Looking at the vertical strips on either side of the faces.
Original Chatsworths boxes had similar, I believe.

DC tannoys are Very responsive to gear quality by the way.
As in changes in source & amp ..Will..be audible, damned little ambiguity involved.
Wires? on the otherhand.. No differences at all, in my experiences.

Tile floor isn't the best choice for Audio though.

Last edited:
Hi, Dont know a lot about tannoy's , but have a chance to buy a set of 4 SENSYS dc1's with a dcc center for $500 what do you think ?

Last edited:
Great thread, I've been lucky enough to acquire a set of Mallorcans with 12" golds and a set of 12" reds follow me home. I'm currently constructing a set of cabinets for the reds or maybe golds, and doing a bad job with the thread I started about the build.

And the sentiment about the sources of the chain really ring true. I liked the Mallorcans, but did not truly get them, until I had them running on a passive buffered preamp with a parasound HCA2205a amp, just how detailed and spacious they are.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=664771

Suggest considering Re boxing those Refoamed drivers. A Larger ~150 to 300 litre Box will substantially improve their sounds.
Very important to place the Tannoy's Axis at listening ear height ~38"
Cheviot was an OK box but far from best possible.

Dobieguy
Luxman is in my office system with the Focal's. It sounds great there :)
I am searching for an amp for the Tannoy and plan on using my AI L3 pre

bare
They are on spikes now, that pic is when I first unpacked them. The room needs treatment for sure but they still sound great.

Tooker
Got pics? Would be interested in your impressions on the sound of these. Have you ever compared them to other Tannoy?

bare
I should raise them to see if it improves the SQ. They are about 18' away from my sitting position and toed in so I wouldn't think the vertical angle would be off by much. My listening position is on a couch up against the opposite wall of a 22' x 22' room which is not ideal. The room has the best TV watching arrangement not listening arrangement.

BeerCan
I'll try to upload something. These have a sound unlike any other speaker I own. I can't put my finger on what that difference is and still trying to decide if it sounds "natural" to me.

Suggest considering Re boxing those Refoamed drivers. A Larger ~150 to 300 litre Box will substantially improve their sounds.
Very important to place the Tannoy's Axis at listening ear height ~38"
Cheviot was an OK box but far from best possible.

Height will be a bit shorter, but tilted back slighly. Volume is around a 145L. In retrospect I would have started from new, but if these cabs play out, I'm not that much time into them. One pair will go.

I could also refurbish the mallorcans, and add a sub, but honestly, there not that bass shy. Which then makes me think, just how much bass can these speakers have? I'm excited to see what can be.

Height will be a bit shorter, but tilted back slighly. Volume is around a 145L. In retrospect I would have started from new, but if these cabs play out, I'm not that much time into them. One pair will go.

I could also refurbish the mallorcans, and add a sub, but honestly, there not that bass shy. Which then makes me think, just how much bass can these speakers have? I'm excited to see what can be.

:nono: No subs needed for Tannoys .
Bass? Feel it in your innards is pretty well standard. A Cello should make one's neck hairs tingle.
Kick drums should sound like they are in the room with you..it's All down to the capability/size of the Enclosure.
Getting the Driver axis to the correct height IS important. Tilting the boxes is a Mickey Rodent solution.
Stick your current boxes on cinder blocks or a chair even.. and listen for yourself.

Radine: Same applies to your New speakers. An easy enough experiment
Note Beercans' Lovely new Speakers.
They are configured as they are for Genuine reason.
Beercan: was thinking that a Tile floor is possibly way too reflective (shower stall like perhaps??)
Spikes? Unlikely those speakers actually need 'coupling' ..Given their weights :)

This site has a Lot of V good info, in some depth too if you follow all the links.
http://www.44bx.com/tannoy/

Last edited:
Yeah, I am having echo problems in that room for sure. Believe it or not the spikes helped a little. I am waiting until we get all our furniture, drapes and rugs before I try and resolve it. My dealer agreed to come over and help me once the room is finished.
fwiw I feel no need for a sub with mine, but I think that is to be expected :)
thanks for that link, it looks very informative.

radine
Those look great, looks like a fun system for sure.

Last edited:
Nice set of Tannoys you got there...I had many different Concentric models.....My favourite is the TMD-15

I have had Tannoy Monitor Gold 12"ers in Altec Lansing Santana cabinets since 1972.
My wife passed away 5 years ago and I was able to take over the living room and put in Canterbury SE's 3 years ago. I am in musical bliss whenever I turn it on...

I'm a very happy owner of a pair of Tannoy Arden.

I have had them for 10 years and I have not plan of selling them. I love their big effortless sound.

I have one of these little bastard Lepai A2020 + Bluetooth/NFC driving a nice little set of sequential Tannoy System 6 NFM II's. Setup is for my lady's yoga studio.

The Bluetooth and NFC works like a charm, and cheap if anyone cares.

21605930282_263163c432_h.jpg

21617393425_a47340de15_h.jpg

Back
Top Bottom