Tannoy owners thread

crossover help?
Getting some Sensys DC2 drivers but no crossovers. Any one have experience with these?
Plans are a 3-way with JBL woofers working below 200Hz.

I've had a few Tannoys, but so far none of the caliber I would like.

Mercury MX4
Stratford Gold
DC3000
C6
And right now I have a pair of C10 that I have to reform.

Of them all, the DC3000 were really nice but didn't match well with my MC2205, and my favourite were the Stratford Golds. They were very forgiving of what amp they were paired with. I just didn't like the vinyl covering so they had to go.

I've a pair of DMT 15s with the 15" DC drivers. At the moment I'm running them stripped of original crossovers completely and using the crossover / DSP section of my bi-amped Lyngdorfs to replicate the crossover as best I can. That's 400w / channel but these 'studio' Tannoys have much hardier voice coils and are rated at 300W.
They sound really good, and so efficient (compared to my upgraded Final electrostatics). Only weak point is a slight harshness to mid treble I feel. They are in their original heavy (38m thick) 100litre cabinets. I've heard that putting them in bigger cabs would improve them further but then, there's my woodworking skills . . .At the moment they are on 10" high, shot-filled steel stands.
Still trying to make up my mind whether to keep the Tannoys and ditch the 'stats and passive subs or vice versa.

Just got a pair of beaten up Tannoy Devons. I have wanted to hear some dual concentrics for a good while. I have some Ditton 44 and AR3a's to compare them with...and a few amps, some even work. I'm going to have to work on these, a new crossover at some point, then the foams are going, but they don't sound beaten up. On my recapped Yamaha CR800, they sound great, on a Quad 34/405ii, not so magical, believe it or not the Dittons sound the best on the Quad. Then the type of music, dense rock - Dittons (with Quad or CR800), anything else Devons shine and stage better. AR3a, the bass is big and strong but its surprisingly off the pace, vocals a little set back, given I recapped them perhaps the mid range speaker is showing its age. So I'm happy to agee DC's are great speakers but thats not to say the 'great' isn't all down to the speaker.

Previously I had Wharfedale Denton (80 anniversary version), but I have replaced it with Tannoy Autograph Mini.
The Mini is small but its performance has shocked me. It is able to give out every single details inside the record, offering great soundstage. If I really have to say, the only one thing is the bass is weak although It doesn't brother me a lot
I am very satisfied with my Mini and will not replace it unless there is another speaker could beat it.

Had a pair of Cheviots a few years back. I truly regret letting them go, but had to downsize. Among other darling qualities, those speakers had some of the most solid and impactful bottom end I've ever encountered. Of several large speakers that I was rotating at the time, it was only the Cheviots that would make my then 6 year old son jump involuntarily when the big bass drum hit would happen during Stravinski's Firebird Suite!

I bought a set of C-8s for Mrs. Aspen back in the mid 80's and have really enjoyed them. Reformed them last year and put in new film caps and they still sound good. I liked these so much a ordered a set of Saturn S6s for my HT room in the late 90's. Dual Concentrics are fabulous for my ears. Just this week I traded the C-6s to the HT set up and brought the S6s into my two channel listening room. The imaging is just spot on. I also run a TS500 sub with them for all the bass.

I am now thinking seriously about acquiring some more Tannoys. There is a 5 speaker set of Precisions locally as well as a pair of Saturn S10s for a good price. Hmmm. Is it possible to have too many?
I have been hoping to source a pair of Definition 10 bookshelf speakers for some time now, but no luck yet. I have seen a couple of sets of Definition towers, but that's more than needed for the small listening room.

Got a pair of Tannoy Dorsets T185 here and I'm really happy with them. I would probably only upgrade to a pair of Little Reds or something like that.

Getting the Driver axis to the correct height IS important. Tilting the boxes is a Mickey Rodent solution.
Stick your current boxes on cinder blocks or a chair even.. and listen for yourself.

Radine: Same applies to your New speakers. An easy enough experiment

Good advice. I had a set of custom stands made for the Berkeleys by Les of Sound Damped Steel. What a difference they have made. Now the speakers are at the right height, imaging has improved but the bass has also improved. There's more bass and it's much cleaner. I'm really delighted. Les did a great job and his constrained layer damping technology is really very effective at stopping the energy going into the suspended floor.

2016-03-25%2019.14.07_zpszmwkvvz0.jpg

2016-03-25%2019.14.57_zpsqpa0hwov.jpg

I've recently acquired a pair of Arden's but wasn't really able to use them as the living room was undergoing an upgrade (new herringbone (??) floor and a custom cabinet to house all my records and gear).
u6pS0RB.jpg

The speakers placement is a little too high if one were sitting in front of them, but are perfect when standing in front of them.
Honestly, the difference is minor if any. When I just got them I had them standing on the floor. There was a clear improvement elevating the speakers. So my conclusion was that these speakers can be placed too low, but not too high (within boundaries..)

I suspect that you would have them near to the right height when seated if you turned them upside down. You could then unscrew and remove the plinths if that worked out for you.

You may be right about that, radine. I'll try it eventually. For now I'm happy everything's back in its proper place ;)

I've just got a little pair of Tannoy Revolution DC4's. A 4" dual concentric for crying out loud! These speakers have made me give up buying old Paradigm speakers on the cheap. You know, the old Titans, atoms, even Phantom V1. This tiny little speaker blows all of them away. Image, detail, vivid rich sound, I will never sell these things. I'm running them with a Nad C326BEE and this one Dianna Krall CD makes my jaw drop. It's like she's sitting behind the piano staring at me while she sings.

I have a pair of Mx2M's that I use in my TV system. But, at one time (early 2000's) I was a Tannoy dealer and played with the bigger stuff. I always was intrigued by the Super Tweeters. They did their thing above the range of my hearing, but yet they made things sound more open and airy. If they weren't so danged expensive (even at dealer cost) I'd probably have a pair.

There are some big threads on Kef speakers, another British based company. Tannoy is right up there with Kef, etc, but they don't have a big presence in the US for some reason. I'm here to tell you all that for "music first" people, you've gotta have Tannoy on the short list. Especially with the concentric drivers, they make some amazing sounding speakers. As I mentioned above, there is real magic with Nad integrated amps, it's a sweet rich sound with a "live" feel to it that my flagship Denon AVR simply can not touch, at probably triple the price.

IMG_1045.JPG I have a pair of Tannoy Prestige Stirling GRs purchased new a couple of years ago and added Tannoy supertweeters to them a year later. I love the sound--they are perfect for my tiny condo. Tannoys are very popular here in Japan. I drive them with an old McIntosh MC7150, a new Luxman C-900U preamp (amazing!) and Luxman D-06 SACD player. I'm thinking of replacing the McIntosh with a tube amp as everyone says tubes and Tannoys are bliss.

Last edited:
Wow, those are nice looking! I've never heard any of those big Tannoys, but I did grab a pair of Tannoy Saturn DC6ti last month. They are based on the Revolution line with the exact same drivers, but put in a budget cabinet that is MDF instead of the stronger Revolution design. With 2 6" drivers and a titanium dome tweeter of the concentric variety, these speakers image so well. I removed the speaker post cup of one to get a look at the crossover. It's a double decker with 9 or 10 components in all, quite sophisticated looking.

Back
Top Bottom