Tannoy owners thread

Pretty sure things are fixed. Found a bad solder joint at spade connectors on crossover. Took care of that. No scientific testing yet, but the levels seem pretty evenly matched now between the two speakers. The left one was about 2/3 volume of the right one, and very little bass. Much better now!

Well, I was seating a few weeks ago wishing I had my old Tannoy Ardens to try with some different gear. All the sudden my British sixth sense began to tingle and turned out these were 5 minutes from me.

I hadn’t introduced them to the family yet so here we are. Anyone have experience matching amps to Tannoy Reds? I’d love to know. The Lancaster cabs are extra minty.

Attachments

• FD469958-DDAF-4FCB-B604-1E029B2AFEDC.jpeg
    FD469958-DDAF-4FCB-B604-1E029B2AFEDC.jpeg
    117.2 KB · Views: 95
  • 17F86055-97CB-46BD-9E78-3172F7433ED5.jpeg
    17F86055-97CB-46BD-9E78-3172F7433ED5.jpeg
    82.6 KB · Views: 98
  • 1BABD2F1-A1C2-464B-A04F-8642AA4086F8.jpeg
    1BABD2F1-A1C2-464B-A04F-8642AA4086F8.jpeg
    90.1 KB · Views: 100
  • A554EC33-AF63-4FB6-88C7-0400EFC0AB9C.jpeg
    A554EC33-AF63-4FB6-88C7-0400EFC0AB9C.jpeg
    51.3 KB · Views: 93
Any owners of large Tannoy - ever put casters on your speakers? Mine have these metal insert "feet"...I'm wondering if I need to remove those to install casters?

Or, is there such thing as a magnetic caster that would "stick" to those metal feet?

Or, should I try to leave the existing feet and install the casters by using screws in two places on each caster? Would that be enough?

Or, I could build sort of a bigger "block"/foot in each corner of the speaker, giving more area to sit on the caster and more places to add screws (should be able to use all 4 screws for each caster then).

Hopefully any/all of these questions make sense. Just wondering if there is an accepted/established ways to add casters to the larger, legacy Tannoys.

Will post a pic if it helps.

Also, is there a larger Tannoy owners group out there? Any that y'all frequent?

Are the bottoms finished like the top and sides?
Why big use the carpet covered harbor freight Dolly’s?

Are the bottoms finished like the top and sides?
Why big use the carpet covered harbor freight Dolly’s?

Thanks, that is certainly an option. I guess I prefer the casters to be directly attached to the speakers...aesthetics I guess. Maybe it would look okay on the harbor freight dollies though.

I will post a pic of the bottom. On mine anyway, the bottom is not finished, there is a lower black "frame" which the finished part of the speaker sits on. The frame has the metal "feet" attached. I had also thought about removing the black frame and attaching the casters directly to the cabinet.

I think I just put up a blank post. Oops. New to this. I have a pair of these Tannoy 2062 drivers. Do you know the internal dimensions and port tuning that you used? I'm looking to make cabinets. thanks

I think I just put up a blank post. Oops. New to this. I have a pair of these Tannoy 2062 drivers. Do you know the internal dimensions and port tuning that you used? I'm looking to make cabinets. thanks

Oh cool, they're great driver's. Tuning is 70hz, volume under 1cf iirc. I've got the exact info saved on my laptop, will look it up and post it tonight.

sorry to bug you but I could really use that data. Thanks

No problem at all, sorry I forgot about this.
Attached are screenshots of the Tannoy owner's manual, it states the internal volume of the factory enclosure 16.6 liters = .6 cf (liters : 28 = cf)
The port tuning frequency was figured out by someone else, I forget on which forum. It is 70hz

Tannoy i8.png

Tannoy i8..png

Hi,
What would anyone consider a good buying price for a pair of Tannoy Turnberry's that are demo models with little play time? They are mint and not a mark/scratch at all.
Would you consider 5000 pounds fair?
Thx,

Tannoy SRM12b aka Super Red Monitors

51663139288_0ebe9b0f31_b.jpg

51663784875_f06dc6a0cf_b.jpg

51663785440_74e2d3a4b9_b.jpg

OK, Guess I am sort of an owner. I recently inherited a pair of 2062's. I am not a speaker builder and not even sureifthisis just woofer a combo. I probably will wind up parting with them but cannot figure out what they are worth. Mods if this is the wrong place for this, let me know. Thanks for any opinions.20211212_181249.jpg20211212_181344.jpg20211212_181500.jpg

Tannoy Dimension D700's. This model is equipped with two 10" driver, upper one is a dual concentric. Have them biamped, tubes on low taps, SS on high. Given what these sound like the monitor types esp 15" must be truly spectacular.

View attachment 1230979
Old post yes, but I’ve gotten my hands on a pair d700s just recently and trying to figure out how to power them. Now I’m using a sansui au20000, but am curious about trying tubes and also bi-amping. Did you use active crossover?

Old post yes, but I’ve gotten my hands on a pair d700s just recently and trying to figure out how to power them. Now I’m using a sansui au20000, but am curious about trying tubes and also bi-amping. Did you use active crossover?

Congrats on the D700, still reveling in the sound of mine on a daily basis. Similar to you started out driving them with a single SS integrated, in my case a Marantz reference series PM11S1. Sounded fine, but I too was curious to try tubes. As far as the crossover question no am not using active crossover, unnecessary with the 700's. I use the preouts of the Marantz to pass signal to a pair of tube monoblocks, and in turn wired these to the low freq taps. Meanwhile the speaker outs of the Marantz went to the high taps of the 700's. The volume control of the Marantz scales both the monoblocks and its own output in perfect unison. Wonderful combo, lush sounds of tubes, esp mids, with the SS maintaining sparkle at high end. No going back now!

Note I run the tube monoblocks in triode mode at all times. IME you will not be disappointed!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom