tape head gunk

Not disputing the effectiveness of lighter fluid, but while it and the AR fluid are very similar, they are not chemically identical.
For our purposes they actually are the same. Light hydro treated petroleum distillate is essentially Kerosene, a type of Naphtha. The confusion comes from the fact that Naphtha is a general term (like gasoline is): it can be different distillates and different grades (depends on fraction taken during distillation) which is why the AR MSDS breaks down the hexane percentages. see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naphtha
I always use standard light Naphtha from my local paint store as it is less expensive than Zippo and much less than the AR marketed stuff. The light preps all share the common property that they are composed mostly of hexanes and pentanes. If we were synthesizing compounds purity would matter and we may select a specific hexane, but we are using them for cleaning so the basic light stuff (high volatility) works just as well as any other and you can get it for $10/qt at Walmart. More critical is the water content as, like IPA, we want the %solvent as high as possible since the aqueous phase can be dirty. Fortunately most light Naphthas are 100% since hexanes aren't hydroscopic like alcohols .

Last edited:
Fascinating stuff. Thanks. I'm going to shoot AR a note on Monday and ask how their product is any different, for practical purposes, from the Walmart alternative you mention. Should be interesting to see if I get spin.

Fascinating stuff. Thanks. I'm going to shoot AR a note on Monday and ask how their product is any different, for practical purposes, from the Walmart alternative you mention. Should be interesting to see if I get spin.
They will present a purity argument I am sure, but if you think Shell Oil Co. or another refinery is preparing a special light Naphtha fractionate for AR you are kidding yourself. The only thing they may do to justify their price is maybe do an extra distillation step in-house, but this is unnecessary (and unlikely).

Edit: I haven't used the Walmart stuff and can't find whether it is "light" naphtha (a measure of Hexane content), I was just using it as an example, not an endorsement. If it is the same as the Klean-strip stuff they also sell, it is "light".

Last edited:
I'll ask them what refinery they own.

Ok, back to the thread and getting the OP's head clean!

I think this discussion remains On topic as head cleaning is basic and critical and we tape heads should understand what we are buying and using and why.

As an off-topic note: you can use Naphtha to remove tree sap, grease, or other very sticky deposits on vinyl records that do not come off with detergent solutions. It's a radical treatment, but it works in those rare instances (Just be sure to do a detergent-based wash afterward).

I think this discussion remains On topic as head cleaning is basic and critical and we tape heads should understand what we are buying and using and why.

As an off-topic note: you can use Naphtha to remove tree sap, grease, or other very sticky deposits on vinyl records that do not come off with detergent solutions. It's a radical treatment, but it works in those rare instances (Just be sure to do a detergent-based wash afterward).

Maybe not completely off topic, but definitely a slight, albeit very useful, detour.

illini: What's your next step?

The Weiman`s Glass Cooktop Cleaner that I mentioned earlier, combined with a burnishing tool chucked up in your Dremel would probably be a good choice at this point. I once had a very nice medium-format Hexanon lens where the anti-reflective coating was degraded, so I removed what was left of it with the Dremel/Weiman`s combo. The lens surface was astonishingly clean & sparkling when finished.

Back
Top Bottom