Tark's system

You are being modest Stark, that is a very nice improvement for you there. What is the piece on the left in the cabinet under the much improved TV?
It is an Onkyo A-9010 stereo amplifier. I am using it for tv, cd and streaming music. I switch between the 2 amplifiers with the box next to the black cambridge audio cd player under the tv. =)

A quick update. I switched back to my solid state Project Phono box from the more expensive Project Tube Box II I had. The reason is the Tube Box II sounds the same as the solid state little brother and shows noticeable distortion in the highs, especially when playing records inner tracks. Might be that the tube preamp is faulty but, when I got it, the dealer replaced the tubes and checked that everything was in great working order.

20181217_141809.jpg

In my case, and given my system, I really don't see justified the upgrade to tube with that particular model.

Last edited:
From a local dealer I had chance to get my hands on a second hand Primaluna Prologue Classic tube amplifier that I will match later on with a pair of Martin Logan Motion 20 (waiting to be repaired).

In the meantime I decided to have some fun hooking the Primaluna to my vintage Marantz Imperial 6 speakers as well as my Monitor Audio Bronze 2 bookshelf speakers. And oh boy, now I realize why the Imperial 6 got so much praise in the years: now the base is more precise and deep while with my old setup the bass was very boomy at times. Comparing the Imperials to the Bronze, they are still lacking definition and clarity in the mids.
The Bronze 2 (which are kinda neutral sounding) sounded richer with the Primaluna, loosing some sharpness in favor of a smoother sound which I find more pleasant and less fatiguing.

Definitely the Imperial 6 demonstrated more room for improvement by swapping amplifier. It is amazing how these old speakers can benefit from expensive equipment that is on a different price range.

IMG_20190718_135224.jpg IMG_20190718_133607.jpg IMG_20190718_010632.jpg

Last edited:
I just moved to a new place, my stereo is now sitting in a new living room. I swapped my Imperial 6s with my sister's much smaller but great Monitor Audio Bronze 2 while I am waiting the speakers I bought the Primaluna with to be repaired.

IMG_20190904_174545.jpg

Pairing the Primaluna with the Bronze 2 is interesting. I remember how these sounded with my Onkyo 9010A and a Arcam Alpha 5, more bright and punchy. With the primaluna everythoung sounds much smoother but they also sound smaller compared with when I plugged those with the two solid states. Might be the room tho.

I will post more once the Martin Logan Motion 20 are ready to take.

Attachments

• IMG_20190904_174545.jpg
    IMG_20190904_174545.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 9
A view of my updated rig with the martin logan motion 20:

IMG_20200304_113105.jpg

I originally tried these speakers together with the primaluna back at my local dealer's room and I was charmed by the warmth of tubes combined with the detail and harshness of the motion speakers. The speakers are finally home and I could not be happier.
New to the family you can spot a cambridge network streamer, a CXN v2, bought new. I tried it with a Marantz Na 6006 which is half the cost but, call me crazy, I preferred the cambridge because of its features and compatibility with my plex home server.

Next on the list, I am curious to try a sub woofer and see what happens to the sound (especially at low volumes).

Good morning Pentotark,

I've enjoyed reading your thread and watching your system evolve. Nice setup!

I'm a big fan of high quality subwoofers. I run two in stereo mode on my main system. It's certainly worth a try. I found it really fills out the sound of even the best systems.

Cheers.

Good morning Pentotark,

I've enjoyed reading your thread and watching your system evolve. Nice setup!

I'm a big fan of high quality subwoofers. I run two in stereo mode on my main system. It's certainly worth a try. I found it really fills out the sound of even the best systems.

Cheers.
Thank you, I am glad you liked the read!

Yes, I have did not have chance yet to listen to how a sub can make a difference but I hear many praising how it can improve richness of low end even at low volumes. That makes me intrigued as I am not looking for louder bumpier base but deeper and richer base.

Thank you, I am glad you liked the read!

Yes, I have did not have chance yet to listen to how a sub can make a difference but I hear many praising how it can improve richness of low end even at low volumes. That makes me intrigued as I am not looking for louder bumpier base but deeper and richer base.
That's exactly the same reason for me. I don't like boomy or artificial sounding bass. Just full, rich, deep sound. I run (2) Sunfire Subwoofer Signatures. Pretty happy with those. They are crossed in at around 35 Hz.

That's exactly the same reason for me. I don't like boomy or artificial sounding bass. Just full, rich, deep sound. I run (2) Sunfire Subwoofer Signatures. Pretty happy with those. They are crossed in at around 35 Hz.

I have one subwoofer related question for you. I had a look around and noticed there are mainly two way one can connect an active subwoofer to an amplifier: Rel subs can connect with a proprietary cable directly to the amplifier left and right outs, together with the speaker cables. Most other brands instead do have high level in and out on the sub, that means, cables goes from the amplifier to the sub, then out to the speaker from the sub. What is the difference between these 2 types of connection? To me it feels like the second scenario adds an extra step between the amp and the speakers that can change or color the sound. I am sure I am wrong but I would like to hear the opinion of someone like you who has experience with subs. Thank you!

Last edited:
I have one subwoofer related question for you. I had a look around and noticed there are mainly two way one can connect an active subwoofer to an amplifier: Rel subs can connect with a proprietary cable directly to the amplifier left and right outs, together with the speaker cables. Most other brands instead do have high level in and out on the sub, that means, cables goes from the amplifier to the sub, then out to the speaker from the sub. What is the difference between these 2 types of connection? To me it feels like the second scenario adds an extra step between the amp and the speakers that can change or color the sound. I am sure I am wrong but I would like to hear the opinion of someone like you who has experience with subs. Thank you!
I'm not familiar with the Rel's and their proprietary cable. Most subs have low level inputs which is what I use. I bring my pre-amp L/R out into the subs.

Back
Top Bottom