TAS reviews the Yggy

There is no comparison. It's like DOS vs Windows 10. :banana:

Ok jokes aside....

Before Yggy came, I thought I love the NAD d1050, which was a present from my wife about 1.5 years ago. I better love it or else ..... !!!

The d1050 had a slightly warm and relaxed tone. This was confirmed when I have use the Yggy for a week. Yggy is more neutral tone, very detail. So much so I was startled with some of the songs I listen to. My 300 plus CDs came alive like never before. Hello ..... is this CD? I ask myself. It is CD indeed and then I realise that CD has more to offer except I have not heard it to it's full potential. Tidal HiFi at 16/44.1 sounded great. Forget Hi-Rez... this is it. Just 16/44.1 converted by Yggy will do. So clear, lovely treble and mids. Bass is strong, tight and controlled. I didn't know that a DAC can wrought such changes to my head-fi gear.

Ok... I bought Yggy and HD800 at the same time 20 days ago.

Before that I have NAD d1050 > Euforia tube amp by Feliks Audio > Beyerdynamic T1

The new setup in the picture now is just great. Buy Yggy !

HD800s are often regarded as bright, no problems with the Yggy? I had a Modi Multibit and it was a bit too forward sounding to my liking, if that is of any indication of Schiit house sound I wonder how the Yggy pairs with the HD800s.

Not with a warm and lush tube amp in the equation. That's why you need to choose your gear with care. Right now I have speed, fast transients, energy, warm and lushness with great clarity. It's a lovely combination.

Many believe that Mimby is similar to Yggy. That couldn't be further from the truth. :)

It's like a Mercesdes A300 and a Mercedes S600. They wear the same badge but take a test drive and see if they feel the same.

In terms of price, Yggy is still conservatively priced compared to other top end DACs.

Heh fair enough. A car is still a car. I reckon a Subaru Impreza WRX Sti is a wild stallion and is really fun. Who needs a Mercedes. :rockon:

OMG, I switch back to budget Denon DP300F with stock cartridge and pop in Dire Straits Alchemy Live and Denon sounded better than my Yggy rig !!!

Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk..... CDs.

20170611_163912.jpg

Reactions: mc1
Believe me Yggy is as close to vinyl as any NOS DAC out there but vinyl is vinyl without trying.

Denon sounds more organic and textured without losing much on resolution. Vinyl and a tube amp is a natural with HD800. Get a better turntable and cartridge and the difference will be even greater.

I know I know...I'm stepping into very contentious territory. CD vs Vinyl. Really depends on the individual. For me, I much prefer the warm and relaxing and clear tone of vinyl.

As I said.... Yggy as a DAC did a superb job of sounding like vinyl.

Alright, human memory is pretty short lived. Mine especially. Now switching back to PC > Yggy > Euforia > HD800, it has the organic tones of vinyl, textured as can be, bass kick ass more than vinyl, and resolution to put high definition to shame.

Ok.. Yggy's purchase is justified. It's performing like a ring leader, leading a bunch of copy cats. Man if you are debating on a DAC, just buy Yggy. Disclaimer - I have no shares in Schiit and at 61, I'm hardly a fan boy. I scrutinised everything I buy and they will get an honest John opinion - ruthlessly.

Back
Top Bottom