TDA1451A Swap

retrex

Hello All,

Maybe this has been discussed before, but can you swap out a TDA1451A for a TDA1451A R1 equipped CD player? The reason I ask is that I just purchase a NIB Magnavox CDB 582 which was supposed to have the better TDA1451A chip but instead had the R1. I have some better chipped units that are in need of repair that I can use as donors. Any help will be appreciated.

According this page the R is a lower grade than standard. S1 and S2 a little better than standard as you say.

http://www.dutchaudioclassics.nl/Grading_process_of_the_Philips_TDA1541A_R1_S1/

So if it was a selection process only, no reason not to just swap them out as one wishes, I guess.

It would be interesting to know if you hear a difference.

I am hoping it will, I just listened to it this past weekend. It is a bit under the standard A chip in performance, It may be the surrounding circuitry is degraded by time, or it could be the chip itself. Or the difference could be in the build quality of the players, many variables, little time to weed them out. I am thinking about recapping first to see if that make any improvement.

I have a Philips CD300, just a few months ago is suddenly had problems putting in and out the tray, track skipping if reading at all, and audible hum if it played, all at the same time.
I have no time for it yet, but as it more or less still works and all problems started same moment, I think it IS a power supply capacitor compromised. On the Dutch sites they also say the small radial small Philips caps usually are bad and apparently a recap DOES solve problems on these early devices.

Maybe install a socket to swap? Although shortest distance (resistance?) to decoupling caps is fairly critical to these DAC chips.

I have a Philips CD300, just a few months ago is suddenly had problems putting in and out the tray, track skipping if reading at all, and audible hum if it played, all at the same time.
I have no time for it yet, but as it more or less still works and all problems started same moment, I think it IS a power supply capacitor compromised. On the Dutch sites they also say the small radial small Philips caps usually are bad and apparently a recap DOES solve problems on these early devices.

This may also be the issue with a B&O CD5500 player I have. Sound would go out on one channel in the beginning of play, but eventually come back and work fine. Minor annoyance, so I never bothered to look into, just let it sit and play cd until it "warmed up" and then restarted the cd from beginning. Would work fine for the rest of listening session, but would reoccur on start next time, but not always. Finally it took too long and I set it aside and moved onto working player. It will most likely be the donor of the chip.

Maybe install a socket to swap? Although shortest distance (resistance?) to decoupling caps is fairly critical to these DAC chips.

I could do that, it would cause less heat wear and tear on the chip should the result be less than expected easy to switch back..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom