TEAC A-4010S/SL recording fix?

Jonny Ramone

I and other 4000 series owners have machines that won't light up the record lights, and engage record. When I changed the belt, and re-greased the pinch-roller linkage, I changed it's geometry a bit. This switch apparently controls the record engage function. It's under the left reel. Adjusting this has got my machine working perfectly now! Much thanks to SkywaveTDR for helping me along the way.:banana:

Attachments

• Picture 015.jpg
    Picture 015.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 232
  • Picture 013.jpg
    Picture 013.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 217
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 200
The screws that are holding down the plate that the switch is mounted to, are glued down(like the rest of them). Use a very heavy duty screwdriver, or dissolve the glue with acetone and a q-tip, making sure not to get on plastic, as it will melt it.

Just when I thought I knew everything there was to know about the A-4010 I found out something new! Thanks for posting!:thmbsp:

I'm thinking this switch is the cause of the issue. It seems to be the record engage switch - if it's not fully depressed, record won't come on. Mine was coming on intermittently and then not wanting to un-engage after, which was a clue. I got this free a year ago, and have been working on and off on it. Makes pretty good recordings with Ampex 641. I'll have to take up re-capping this year.

Last edited:
Wow! I am so glad you posted this Jonny. I ran and set up my A4010 that would not record even after I changed out the two capacitors C135 and the other one. All these months I have only been using it for playback.
I fiddled with the record micro switch and lo and behold the record lights came on. It appears that on mine the plate that pushes on the switch button is not fully engaged. Or inside switch needs cleaned. All I can say is that I am so happy. For I remember all those postings about the no record on our and many other peoples units. :thmbsp: :thmbsp: :thmbsp:

Unfortunately, a lot of the people that have this problem aren't regular viewers, so hopefully they'll find this googling for it. The plate this switch is on is adjustable - when the pinchroller linkage is in the stop position(hit STOP button), adjust it until the switch is pressed. It's a lot of fun to record with this machine, even using period brown oxide tape. They were apparently set up for scotch 150 tape, and I have a NOS reel I'm going to try soon, as well as other similar tapes.

Attachments

• Picture 014.jpg
    Picture 014.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Most satisfying problem I've fixed so far, on any of my machines. It's a WONDERFUL feeling hitting play after holding in the buttons, hearing the clack of the pinch roller, and watching those lights come to life.

Thanks Jonny. My GSL was off a bit, but it was still recording. Adjusted the plate so it makes full engagement now.

Larry

I have the same model but have yet begun to fiddle with it. Too many projects but I will book mark this for future reference. Thanks Jonny!

I have an A-4010 GSL and was hoping the above fix would take care of me, too. Today I took the front cover off to see if proper seating of the record switch would solve my problem with incomplete erasing and recording only from the LEFT channel. Right channel REC light does not come on.

On my 4010GSL, there is no such switch as is shown above, so I was wondering if perhaps, the switch for setting the record function was accessed from the REAR of the machine.

I have removed the rear cover and it is not obvious to me that a rear side accessible switch is there.

On the 4010 SL, the switch is activated by mechanical bits that are connected to the pinch roller mechanism, yet there is no apparent connection from the mechanical parts on the front to a switch accessed from the back. I suppose it might be seen if I removed some components on the back that might be hiding the switch, but I don't want to start that level of disassembly unless I know I am on the right track.

Can anybody with GSL experience here who has had the incomplete erase/record problem comment and point me in the right direction.

The posts above seemed to be the exact cure for my machine and I saved doing it for a rainy day and that day is here and I find my machine is different.

Thanks

My deck has been giving me fits with this for years, never thought it could be a mechanical deal. Mechanism has been sluggish with old grease and not going completely back to rest when stopped. Thanks for the tip!

I, too, want to thank the OP for this thread. I recently got a good used A-4010S that worked great up until a few days ago. The record stopped working too. Did a quick search and found this thread and fixed it myself. I think that with the propensity of these machines to have the same problem, this thread should be a sticky.

Picture 13 jpeg, the black little box that says "omron", you'll notice a little brown.....button sticking out at the bottom left. It's the switch. When it's pushed in, record can be enabled. Adjust the mount that the black box is on, so it's compressed at stop position.

I and other 4000 series owners have machines that won't light up the record lights, and engage record. When I changed the belt, and re-greased the pinch-roller linkage, I changed it's geometry a bit. This switch apparently controls the record engage function. It's under the left reel. Adjusting this has got my machine working perfectly now! Much thanks to SkywaveTDR for helping me along the way.:banana:

Thanks for the detailed info and pics. I was able to fix the recording problem on my 4010 by adjusting the linkage.

Anyone know what I can do

They only way to engage my record light is if I press and hold the record button then while I do that lift the pinch roller. The lift comes on.. but once I let the pinch roller down the lift comes off.. this is with the front plate removed exposing the electronics

Back
Top Bottom