TEAC TN-300 Belt Drive Turntable Initial Impression and Review

I had a good look at one of these the other day. Build quality looks good, but, and it's a big one, the tonearm? Looks to be cheap and the weak point.

I had a good look at one of these the other day. Build quality looks good, but, and it's a big one, the tonearm? Looks to be cheap and the weak point.

Can you be more specific on why you feel it's cheap or weak? If not then you are just blowing smoke.

Simple answer, it's a HANPIN.
You really have it in for the Teac, don't you? Have you spent time with one? It doesn't come off in person as being at all cheap or shoddy and it sounds quite good for an entry level deck. Supposed specs notwithstanding the one I've heard several times sounded better than the Technics SL-20 I had for many years back in the day. Both are entry-level decks so keeping expectations at a reasonable level is a necessity.

I'm in the market for a new TT and the TN-300 has certainly caught my attention.
However, I'm doubting between this TN-300, the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon or the Rega RP1.
I don't care as much about the looks as I care about the build and sound quality.
Which one would be most recommended?

I'm in the market for a new TT and the TN-300 has certainly caught my attention.
However, I'm doubting between this TN-300, the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon or the Rega RP1.
I don't care as much about the looks as I care about the build and sound quality.
Which one would be most recommended?
Make sure you buy from a dealer where you can audition or if an online dealer with a solid return policy. Some entry-level Pro-Jects are known to have motor noise issues. I've had two with the same problem and tried replacing the motor in one only to have the same problem with the new motor. As for the RP1, do a search on YouTube for Rega platter wobble.

⇧ What he said, audition it with your system and choose the one you like.
To me TEAC is better built quality overall, easier to change the cartridge and no electrical or motor problems as far as I know.

For what it is, its a decent low end turntable. No need to bash it. While I haven't used the Teac I have used the Denon DP300F which everyone also seems inclined to bash. Thats an excellent table for the outlay. Sure, its not as good as my JVC QL7 though I don't expect it to be. Lighten up guys.

For what it is, its a decent low end turntable. No need to bash it. While I haven't used the Teac I have used the Denon DP300F which everyone also seems inclined to bash. Thats an excellent table for the outlay. Sure, its not as good as my JVC QL7 though I don't expect it to be. Lighten up guys.

Yep, Exactly!
I can go out and buy $5k turntable but I don't think it worth that much for different in sound quality to me, my main thing is I just want play my music.
As long as it can produce good sound quality for my musical enjoyment and thats all that matter for my equipments, I don't care what people think.
It's my money and my musical enjoyment is more important to me than what people may think.

The TN300 has a light arm like the DP300F, I found the old Empire 2000 and 4000 cats sound fantastic on that deck.

Have you not seen or read reports about how good the Pro-ject and arms are? Have you not discovered that many high end decks use these arms? Have you looked at the Teac arm? Have you measured it? Have you seen the arm on Linn, Roksan or Sota decks?

Now stop asking silly and irrelevant questions. These are all budget decks, of which two gave arms of proven quality, while the other, frankly, is unlikely to appear on any other deck because it is nothing special.

What arguments? Is it forbidden to point out the strengths of turntables in answer to someone who sought opinions? Or is it forbidden to express opinions full stop if they might remotely be taken as critical of the Teac?

I don't see Pro-ject or Rega owners getting upset because a poster criticised them on this thread.

Back
Top Bottom