teac X series r2r rewind motor tune up

kahnydon

Does anyone here have information regarding the rewind/take-up motors for an X series Teac reel to reel. I have heard that they can be taken apart & cleaned, bringing them back to very good performance. I have an X-7R with somewhat sluggish rewind & FF. It starts out fine , but slows towards the end of the reel

Thanks, Don

I have a Teac x 10 with the same symptom, but only to return the tape. To advance the tape speed is more than reasonable.

Have y'all considered that just maybe only the belt needed to be changed along with all the switches given a good deoxit cleaning and that could possibly solve your problem before tearing down and rebuilding the motors?

May I offer this suggestion, download the Service Manual for y'alls particular model (X-7R...http://www.hifiengine.com/library/teac/x-7r.shtml) it's free just sign up.
Once downloaded, look on page 7, section 2-7 Lubrication, Fig. 2-14 and follow the directions and also on page 20 which shows a 'belt' that can be replaced.

Think about it, after all those years and the belt has never been replaced and the motors have never been lubed? These do have an effect on the overall performance of the unit. :scratch2:

Good Luck :D

And also, use a Genuine Teac belt and change them every 2 years. If the belt is in poor condition, puts stress on a capstan motor which is marginal to begin with. Cheap insurance.

The belt is for tape play, not rewind/ff. TEAC might have replacement motors still available. You might google for info on rebuilding DC motors, if you haven't done so for the X7R.

The belt was replaced by original and lubricated according to the manual. The problem is with the motors forward and backward. Is there any maintenance or cleaning these engines? To play the tape is all in perfect order, and stable. Thanks for the replies.

Check the tape travel-path first, you have two tension-rollers that need to be cleaned and oiled shaft + tape-guides and heads.
Dirt & tape-residue makes these slow down alot during rewind or fforward.
And it also depends what kind of tape you are using, dry old tape has the same result with slow action in both directions.

Like the previous post said , the belts have nothing to do with the rewind/FF function. I need info about taking apart & cleaning. I have seen a post that mentions taking the motor apart & cleaning to restore power to the motor without adjusting any speed pots. Any info about this particular procedure would be appreciated

True, but they still need to be done while you are repairing the other issue. If neglected, can cause $100 plus in parts replacement alone. Do check the tape travel path, clean all rollers and guides. Dry tape and tape with sticky shed issues can cause slow rewind and FF. Motor switches can benefit from deoxit while in there. Hope someone can find the info on the reel motor disassembly and repair, I rarely ever saw issues with the reel motors, which were actually very decent. Wonder if motor bearings are worn. And also make sure the motor run cap is in good condition, that if defective can cause your issue.

True, but they still need to be done while you are repairing the other issue. If neglected, can cause $100 plus in parts replacement alone. Do check the tape travel path, clean all rollers and guides. Dry tape and tape with sticky shed issues can cause slow rewind and FF. Motor switches can benefit from deoxit while in there. Hope someone can find the info on the reel motor disassembly and repair, I rarely ever saw issues with the reel motors, which were actually very decent. Wonder if motor bearings are worn. And also make sure the motor run cap is in good condition, that if defective can cause your issue.

I'm afraid you are having the A series motors in mind :) X series are using DC reel motors, and i think Skywave showed some pictures some time ago , how to clean the commutators for coal residue.

all of these pretentious comments talking about belts lmfao. why are you offering advice when you clearly don't even know what you're talking about? the capstan motor (and its belt) have absolutely nothing to do with the reel motors on these units.

all of these pretentious comments talking about belts lmfao. why are you offering advice when you clearly don't even know what you're talking about? the capstan motor (and its belt) have absolutely nothing to do with the reel motors on these units.

You know these machines are also far from heavy duty too. And parts getting more difficult as they age. Sorry, the old Teac A 2300S I owned from nearly new, was better than my X300 in terms of reliability which I got new. (my X 300 had a motor failure the day the warranty expired) You also know these motors need lubrication periodically too. The X series motors were less robust from the beginning. That said, the X series heads were superior.

Back
Top Bottom