Technics collecting and refurbishing...

Asmodeus2112

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
After ~18 years of not having a turntable I just jumped back in. Like everyone else it seems. I picked up a SL-D2 with a nice Shure cart. almost immediately so I could play some records. Probably payed too much. Then a really nice SL-23 became available. I liked it's vintage and style. And then I picked up another 6 tables. Here's my current inventory:

Model Price Cart. Condition
SL-D2 160 Shure 6 Working
SL-B20 60 Yes 6 Needs Belt
SL-1600 MK2 20 No 3 Buttons Frozen, No Feet, No Counterweight
SL-1500 20 No 3 TBD, tonearm bearings loose
SL-23 101.95 AT 9 Needs platter drive belt
SL-B30 10 No 2 TBD, tonearm bearings loose
SL-L2 39.7 AT 7 TBD, Needs platter mat - old was hard and oily
SL-J3 71 AT 8 Working, Needs tonearm carriage belt

As my wife has pointed out, I could have spent the $482.65 on one nice deck. But I enjoy collecting them, getting to know the product line, cleaning, reviving etc. Hunting for the gems... Will probably sell some as they become functional and keep the better examples.

No real question here, mainly looking for camaraderie with anyone that does this kind of thing as well. Lot's of resources here on AK and the internet, but always interested in tips, stories etc.

After ~18 years of not having a turntable I just jumped back in. Like everyone else it seems. I picked up a SL-D2 with a nice Shure cart. almost immediately so I could play some records. Probably payed too much. Then a really nice SL-23 became available. I liked it's vintage and style. And then I picked up another 6 tables. Here's my current inventory:

Model Price Cart. Condition
SL-D2 160 Shure 6 Working
SL-B20 60 Yes 6 Needs Belt
SL-1600 MK2 20 No 3 Buttons Frozen, No Feet, No Counterweight
SL-1500 20 No 3 TBD, tonearm bearings loose
SL-23 101.95 AT 9 Needs platter drive belt
SL-B30 10 No 2 TBD, tonearm bearings loose
SL-L2 39.7 AT 7 TBD, Needs platter mat - old was hard and oily
SL-J3 71 AT 8 Working, Needs tonearm carriage belt

As my wife has pointed out, I could have spent the $482.65 on one nice deck. But I enjoy collecting them, getting to know the product line, cleaning, reviving etc. Hunting for the gems... Will probably sell some as they become functional and keep the better examples.

No real question here, mainly looking for camaraderie with anyone that does this kind of thing as well. Lot's of resources here on AK and the internet, but always interested in tips, stories etc.

As you continue with your collecting, you would started to be aware of the duplication in your stable.

For example in the same year as the Technics SL-1600 MK2 came out, (1977) Denon, Pioneer, Sony, Kenwood and even JVC also had their version of the same - quartz lock, direct drive, S tone arm full auto in the $400.00 range.

Having one, choose whichever brand you like better would be sufficient, no need for more than one version. :)

As you continue with your collecting, you would started to be aware of the duplication in your stable.

For example in the same year as the Technics SL-1600 MK2 came out, (1977) Denon, Pioneer, Sony, Kenwood and even JVC also had their version of the same - quartz lock, direct drive, S tone arm full auto in the $400.00 range.

Having one, choose whichever brand you like better would be sufficient, no need for more than one version. :)

Yep, understood. I also have started to get to know the common parts that are used on multiple models. I bought the SL-B20 because it has the same dust cover as the SL-D2 and my SL-D2 dust cover was cracked and poorly repaired. But I get your point, and that's part of the fun is learning what was going on with the different mfg's, models etc.

I've fooled around with a bunch of Technics too. I would buy one, clean it up, use it for a while and pass it on.

Settled on an SL-B20 as my daily driver for a while, mostly because of the simplicity of the p-mount. It's a really nice sounding table and holds its speed well. It's been a real workhorse for me, for almost 5 years now.

Also had an SL-1300 and that was a nice table too. Seemed like I was constantly fidgeting with it, but when it was dialed in just right it was money.

Had an MCS too. 6601, I think? Obviously made by Technics, very similar to the SL-1900 and SL-2000 with the strobe light on the left side of the deck as opposed to the right (which always made way more sense to me). That's the only one I really regret selling, it was nice.

The funny thing about Technics tables is they had so many freaking different models. Every time I think I've seen every one, I come across one I didn't know existed before.

Last edited:
I've fooled around with a bunch of Technics too. I would buy one, clean it up, use it for a while and pass it on.

Settled on an SL-B20 as my daily driver for a while, mostly because of the simplicity of the p-mount. It's a really nice sounding table and holds its speed well. It's been a real workhorse for me, for almost 5 years now.

Also had an SL-1300 and that was a nice table too. Seemed like I was constantly fidgeting with it, but when it was dialed in just right it was money.

Had an MCS too. 6601, I think? Obviously made by Technics, very similar to the SL-1900 and SL-2000 with the strobe light on the left side of the deck as opposed to the right (which always made way more sense to me). That's the only one I really regret selling, it was nice.

The funny thing about Technics tables is they had so many freaking different models. Every time I think I've seen every one, I come across one I didn't know existed before.

I guess I am at the front end of this cycle. What I like is that Technics were so popular and prolific that there are enough of them out there to keep the price down, but there are some nice performers in there that can hold their own. I really like the feeling of getting one that was on it's way to the trash and bringing it back to life.

Yes, have that one bookmarked. But, as Roboturner91 says, I run across tables that aren't listed. And not just the different colors, but complete models.

Yes, those were primary North American and PX models.

There were also JDM, Asia Pacific, Central & South American, and European models. :biggrin:

Kind of wish I never sold my SL-23, but I'm not a big fan of belt drive tables. My current Technics line up:

SL-1200mkII
SL-MA1
SL-1310mkI
SL-1600mkI
SL-D2

Kind of wish I never sold my SL-23, but I'm not a big fan of belt drive tables. My current Technics line up:

SL-1200mkII
SL-MA1
SL-1310mkI
SL-1600mkI
SL-D2
Yes, I as well am not a fan of the belt drives. But this one just seems nostalgic as it was one of their earliest. "Technics by Panasonic" and all...
Your SL-MA1 is very cool! I'll search for some pics.
It's like a chinese menu. They have ~15 basic ingredients but the Cartesian product make a lot of possible models.

One of the big surprises for me is how much I like the linear tracking models. I only have one operational so far, but I'm really liking it.

I wish I knew how to refurbish and repair. Then I could make the 45 setting on my SL-D2 play at 45 instead of 33. :rflmao:

If I had to guess, I'd say the 45 speed trimmer was broken. I had the same thing once, the little piece of metal the trimmer was mounted on had cracked in half.

I first started with the SL-1300 a few years ago. When I went with Marantz, I sold the SL-1300 picked up a couple Marantz 6300 decks. I really wanted something with a wood-grained plinth. I didn't know about the SL-M models, but I found some info on this site, and began searching. Now I've got a couple SL-MA1 decks. I've also picked up a parts deck from Japan with the interchangeable headshells that will allow me to use standard cartridges as well as the p-mounts. I will swap out the arm assembly when I get a chance.

Since I'm kind of lazy, the fully automatic decks really appeal to me, and they produce outstanding sound. I rarely use the Marantz decks, but I plan to keep them around to complete my Marantz setup.

Here are 2 1100's that I refurbed,one with a clear audio arm the other with an sme arm

Attachments

• IMG_2541.JPG
    IMG_2541.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4741.jpg
    IMG_4741.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 40
The SL-1600mkii is a solid table, finding feet might be tough but, counterweights are easy to come by, they are the same as the SL-1200mkii. Which button is the issue?

The SL-1600mkii is a solid table, finding feet might be tough but, counterweights are easy to come by, they are the same as the SL-1200mkii. Which button is the issue?
Mainly the power, but all of them seem stuck. Just ordered my first Deoxits. Plan to open it up and clean, deoxit and see if the electrics, motor etc. work. If so, then will start looking for the missing parts. Are the feet unique to the 1600mkii, or are they common with another table(s)?

SL-1200mkII
SL-MA1
SL-1310mkI
SL-1600mkI
SL-D2
Hey, I did a search for your SL-MA1, but all the links to the pics were broken. Would you post a few pics of it?

Back
Top Bottom