Technics collecting and refurbishing...

I've had several Technics
I had a SL-220 and a SL-230, sold both
I have a
SL-5100 and a SL-DL5
The SL-5100 is my daily driver
One thing I'll say about Technics TT's is that only a few years ago there were lots of Technics tables on CL for $50 and less, now I hardly see any locally

PS a few years back I went and looked at a 1600 or 1500 but couldn't settle on a price, too bad

Like you, I've accumulated several Technics turntables over the years. What I can recall, in chronological order of manufacture:
  • SL-1200Mk1
  • SL-1300
  • SL-1500 (since sold)
  • SL-1700
  • SL-1301
  • SL-B2 (since sold)
  • SL-10
  • SL-5 (since sold)
  • SL-D305
  • SL-B300 (since sold)
  • SL-BD21
Most of them are relatively conventional, but there are some oddballs in there. The SL-1301 was a bit of a stopgap model, basically a cross between the SL-1600 and the SL-1600Mk2 which was only made for one year. The SL-D305 has a platter light and a 1/2" mount tonearm. All of these are fairly solid, though the automatic models generally need lubrication at this point. Here are some pictures of a few of my Technics TTs:
sl1200_2.jpg

sl1500_7.jpg

sl1301.jpg

sl10.jpg

Kind of wish I never sold my SL-23, but I'm not a big fan of belt drive tables. My current Technics line up:

SL-1200mkII
SL-MA1
SL-1310mkI
SL-1600mkI
SL-D2

The SL-23 was my first "serious" turntable when I was much younger. I sold it to acquire an SL-7. I have since owned many different Technics models. As far as belt drive Technics models, I have always thought the SL-23 to be the superior belt drive model of all the Technics belt drives. Mine performed very well with a Shure V15Type IV attached to the arm. YMMV

The SL-23 was my first "serious" turntable when I was much younger. I sold it to acquire an SL-7. I have since owned many different Technics models. As far as belt drive Technics models, I have always thought the SL-23 to be the superior belt drive model of all the Technics belt drives. Mine performed very well with a Shure V15Type IV attached to the arm. YMMV
Cool. I just received the new belt for my SL-23, but need a new stylus as it arrived bent. It came with an AT-11. I am not sure if I want to get a new sylus for this cart. or a new cart.

Collecting Technics and fixing is fun. Have owned several of the flat p mount ones all good performers. The linear trackers are my favorites.

Ones I have include

SL 5
SL 7
SL 1500
SL 5300
MCS 6701 (basically a SL 1650 I think)

I have the same bug! I started with a 1200G then wanted turntables for other rooms. I currently also have three SL-10's - I have stripped and lubed them, removed the pucks and made replacements from aluminium that takes the strobe disc and still enables playback of 180g records.

Lots of fun to be had for not too much money!

Feet from the 1600/1700/1800mkii will work. Since they all have the same suspension.

I've had quite a few Technics myself. Always loved them besides some of their belt drives. I found the gear around the spindle tends to break if they were not stored properly.

Any of their DD were nice. The SL-D series are solid and excellent value.

I have the same bug! I started with a 1200G then wanted turntables for other rooms. I currently also have three SL-10's - I have stripped and lubed them, removed the pucks and made replacements from aluminium that takes the strobe disc and still enables playback of 180g records.

Lots of fun to be had for not too much money!

Indeed, I'm having a ton of fun for not too much cash. Plus they are all used and some come from Thrift shops and GW, so charity! ;)

Feet from the 1600/1700/1800mkii will work. Since they all have the same suspension.

I've had quite a few Technics myself. Always loved them besides some of their belt drives. I found the gear around the spindle tends to break if they were not stored properly.

Any of their DD were nice. The SL-D series are solid and excellent value.

My SL-D2 is the only working deck at the moment.... Sounds great to me! The SL-23 and SL-J3 next!

The SL-23 platter would come to a stop when I adjusted the speed adjustment pots. DeoxIT solved that. Crimped on a new ground wire, got a new stylus for the AT11e and I am listening to David Bowie on it now. Sounds pretty good. I also got the SL-J3 going. New belt, clean and lube. It had an AT90 cart, but I bought a couple of those NOS AT450's, so I put one in. The SL-J3 is my best sounding deck so far. The SL-1600 Mk2 has been torn down. The brass push push power switch was frozen. Got it seperated, but have to start reinstalling.... Accidentally bought an SLQD-22 and an SL-Q200. Anxious to get the 1600 Mk2 and the 1500 going, but they are in the worst shape of the bunch. I suppose I could have just bought a nice SL-1600 Mk2 from ebay and been done with it, but this is more fun.... I'll have to cull the heard soon.

What are the issues with your SL-1500 again? There's a good restore thread on this site to check out.

I love my SL-D2. Even though I am not a fan of the plasticky stylings of old Technics tables. It gets a lot of playtime in my bedroom (like, right NOW), even though there is a Thorens TD145 right next to it.

Here's a tip: Go to the dollar store and buy $7 worth of plasticine. Take the headshell off, lock the tonearm, take of the platter, and turn he rupside down and lay her carefully on a bunch of pillows (that you don't mind spindle bearing oil running on to - maybe put rags on top of the pillows). Stuff the plasticine in every nook and cranny in there (bottom of the top of the plinth - she's upside down). Also put some in the metal base. There is a good post here somewhere, with photos, that show the couple of places where you have to spread the plasticine thinner.

I also made the ugliest DIY fluid damper for the arm (someone here or on vinylengine called it "the most inelegant example" ever. LOL). But you should see the arm track now! Hugely warped old Beatles discs that I thought about converting into bowls, are now players!

Happy turntabling!

What are the issues with your SL-1500 again? There's a good restore thread on this site to check out.
Well, a lot probably. I picked it up with the 1600 mk2 and SL-B30 for $50 for all three. I haven't gotten to turn my attention to the 1500 yet, but right off the bat the tonearm gimbal bearings are loose, so... I'll search for the 1500 restore thread, thanks!

Not that y'all haven't seen an SL-23 before, they seem pretty common, but this is mine spinning some David Bowie. SL-J3 with the AT450 is still my favorite so far tho.
SL-23.jpg

DSC06397.JPG

Old picture of my 1600mkii. I think this is the first one I owned before selling it...but, I can't remember.

I might be turning into a collector. :rflmao:I've got a SL-D2 and a SP-15 now. Just found a SL-D2 and a D3 locally. I need to get rid of the SP-15 first though.

Back
Top Bottom