Technics full system find and restore

Markoneswift

Quartz locked n ready to rock
Hello peoples,

I popped into the local charity shop today and found this.....

IMG_20171110_170947.jpg

Its a full Technics stack based around the SU-X520D amp. Also got SB-T100 speakers with it.....

IMG_20171110_170749.jpg

The story so far - amp very quiet one channel, CD player doesn't read disks, tape deck doesn't play tapes, tuner display dim. On the plus side, the speakers are good and the DSP equaliser seems to work.

I'm going to have a go at restoring this Nineties stack so watch this space :)

Cool find and looks like one of their better rack systems. I must say you're more ambitious than I am; I'd be returning it for a full refund with all those problems

Kudos to you for the save, more kudos to you for the restore.

looking forward to your restoration notes.

start trouble shootin, is there sound at the headphone jack on the poweramp? are the A/B selectors pushed in, is it only the poweramp that is not working , or the pre amp, is there a pre amp switch loop section on the back, take your time bud , it could be simple.

As it happens, there is a loop section at the back of the amp incorporate the DSP / Equaliser component. Clearly this was my mistake because initially I ran the amp with just the tuner connected and no jumpers or DSP attached.

The penny dropped when I checked the service manual and looked at the system connection diagram. Of course, I could jumper the DSP out of the loop but heck it looks quite cool :)

So, I have a fully working amp after all. I need to fix the CD and tape deck. Sweet.

As it happens, there is a loop section at the back of the amp incorporate the DSP / Equaliser component. Clearly this was my mistake because initially I ran the amp with just the tuner connected and no jumpers or DSP attached.

The penny dropped when I checked the service manual and looked at the system connection diagram. Of course, I could jumper the DSP out of the loop but heck it looks quite cool :)

So, I have a fully working amp after all. I need to fix the CD and tape deck. Sweet.
Congrats my friend enjoy it!

Definitely a case of RTFM lol. Funny thing is, I've had a couple of great deals on vintage amps because of people not realising they need jumpers between the PRE and POWER / MAIN sections. In this instance, I was fooled because Technics label the connections as 'External - In' and 'External - Out' so it didn't click straight away that I needed a component (or jumper) in the chain. What gave it away finally though, when I looked properly, was a thick white line between the IN and OUT of each connector. I figured that must mean they should be connected and sure enough, that was it :)

Back
Top Bottom