Technics Happy :)

I don't really like talking about price estimations in the public, because they will inevitably drive up what people actually want for items. So if you want to have my insignificant opinion, there's always the private message function. ;)

Yup, the SL-P10 is also something I'm after. However, in the meantime I'm quite well served with my SL-P770.

I don't mind the square power buttons. Of course the correct ones would provide a nicer match with the amp, but there are some devices of later generations that I prefer over their predecessors. For example the ST-G7 (although I do like the ST-S8) or the RS-B100 (I prefer that over the RS-M280).

Well, one person's opinion can also drive the price down :biggrin: The highest I've seen an A3Mk2 go for was one from someone in Spain a few months ago, very low hours that had been stationed in a holiday house for many years, condition like new. It sold for around 6500€ (about 7000USD at the time). Mine cost 3900€ but it has some dents on the top front. I've also seen one on Switzerland recently described as working but with pretty bad looks go for around 1500€ (think it was a bit less actually).. It's amazing the price variations and it seems looks count a lot.

Regarding looks have you guys seen the RS-M95 ?

I will give a big +1 to the idea of the Technics thread. Here in NZ I find a ton of their gear. Have had SL-10, SL-QL1, SL-Q3 and currently in the racks are RS-BX707, RS-B965, and SL-PS900.

My son is using an X520D amp and those Technics tower speakers with the copper coloured centres as part of a modest vinyl system.

I love me some Technics (and its NOT 'Techniques' people, take note !).

I had a RS-M95 for repair just recently...a wondrous piece of battle bot heft. the metal work is worth its weight in gold.
but in the end, it is outgunned spec wise by the 275x (and not even in dBx mode)..
would still love to have the M95 either way, as it matches the su8080

Yes, the 275X is very good, almost as good as it gets. And it's only a two header!
Makes you think, doesn't it?

It most definitely is a Nak eater (I know), and that DBX works wonders. What you get is CD-like lack of noise which means you get to hear... the original master tape's hiss!

Only quibble, or caveat if you prefer (!) is that the only belt is a misery to replace. You have to go deep into the mech - unscrew a lot of things, even the capstan DD motor - to do that.
Definitely not for the faint hearted, as they say.

Last edited:
Hello, I also have an SE A3 from the first owner.
I'm wondering whats the temperature at stationary mode after 2 hours, mine is getting near 40 C at the outside cover.
Could this be normal?

Hi, and welcome!

This is on the low side, I would say, which indicates a low-ish idle current.

No danger of course.

It will eventually need to be looked after by a competent tech who will be able to adjust everything up to specs when you can.
I see no emergency but you might check that there is zero voltage at the speaker terminals when volume is zeroed.
Try to plug speakers and listen to any scratching noise when you connect up the cables, on each side.

Some things are very easy to adjust yourselves, such as the DC offset—requires only basic electronic knowledge, service manual (available for free online) and a voltmeter.
Others, like the Icq, are more difficult. The SM asks for a scope, a THD meter, signal generator and some hefty 8 Ohm 200W+ resistors. Unfortunately I don't have those, so I currently don't know whether my A3 is adjusted correctly. If I had it, I would set the Icq intentionally lower. Although this does not minimise the THD, it makes the output transistors dissipate less heat, which is positive on the longevity of the unit.

Hi Mac,

That’s precisely why I asked Toma to test for DC at the speaker outputs.
If the test is positive, then we will help adjust. As you say, it’s very easy to do.

Hi Mac,

That’s precisely why I asked Toma to test for DC at the speaker outputs.
If the test is positive, then we will help adjust. As you say, it’s very easy to do.
Hi Jacques,

Thanks for your answer,
If there is an voltage by zereod volume, how do I adjust till its zero?

Hi,

Did you do the test then? Do you hear scratching noises when you connect the speakers?
If so, you have to adjust, and we’ll tell you what to do.
However, if the test shows nothing but silence, leave it alone for now.
Do you have basic electrical competences?

Hello

I will perform the test as soon as I install it in my wall recess, which needs some reconstruction to install this big amplifier and ensure sufficient cooling
I worked on electronics before, but not on this kind of amplifier, so all advice is very welcome.
Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom