Technics linear tracking turntable experts?

morkys

Does anybody know the ranking of all the various Technics Linear tracking turntables? I am particularly interested in finding the units that allow individual track selection and track skipping. I believe there is the SL-15 and the QL-15 that allow this, and perhaps even allow programming.

I have an SL-5 in the bedroom and it's working quite well. I also have a SL-QL1 on the way for the basement AV system. I'm just getting back into turntables, but later on I'd like to try to find the Technics linear trackers that allow individual track selection, track skipping, and even programming. If anybody knows which tables do this, and the general hierachry / ranking of all the various linear tracking technics turntables that were made over the years, please let me know. Also looking more towards the direct drive, and/or quartz locked units.

thanks,

:)

Last edited:
After the SL-15 came the SL-6 and then the SL-Q6, as far as narrow-carriage programmable linear tracking models. The Q6 was quartz locked, not sure about the other two. I have a SL-Q5 (same as the Q6 without the programming) and its been a good performer. I think there was also an SL-V6, which was the programmable version of the more common SL-V5, a vertical model.

I have an SL-M3, a big tank of a quartz lock direct drive linear tracker that doesn't follow Technics' usual close-and-play design, but it isn't programmable. I'm not so sure about the other models. The list at http://vintagetechnics.co.uk/turntables.htm isn't complete and has some inaccuracies, but might help.

Of the 'narrow' ones, the SL10 is generally regarded as THE one to have, the SL15 being almost identical but with automatic track search. The SL7 is the cheaper brother of the SL10, with a less ridgid lid, being half plastic rather than 100% metal diecast. All 3 are Quartz DD.

The SL-QL15 is a fine midfi TT that allows track selection and programming. And it works, most of the time. (Some LPs simply are not reflective enough).

And it sounds pretty good for what it is and weighs a lot.

Thanks folks. I'll put together a list. Vintage Technics scratches the surface, but it smacks of doubtful specs. The linear tracking Technics tables are a fun niche product to get into. Rather inexpensive to start with, and by no means super hi-fi in most cases, but a great value, good sound and ease of use.

I have both the SL-6 and SL-QL1. While the QL1 is not programmable, I think it is a better unit. Certainly more robust. I've added Mortite to the platter, applied teflon tape to the tonearm, and replaced the original cables with component video cables (per hakaplan's recommendations). It equalled the performance of a Mitsubishi LT-20, and that was before modifications.

I have both the SL-6 and SL-QL1. While the QL1 is not programmable, I think it is a better unit. Certainly more robust. I've added Mortite to the platter, applied teflon tape to the tonearm, and replaced the original cables with component video cables (per hakaplan's recommendations). It equalled the performance of a Mitsubishi LT-20, and that was before modifications.

My SL-QL1
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=390142

I just got through with the video cable replacement myself. Did you have the problem with sibilants - s's and highs? I still have that problem and I'm thinking about ditching the table. I love the sound when it acts right, but that's only on 25% of my records.

Does anybody know the ranking of all the various Technics Linear tracking turntables? I am particularly interested in finding the units that allow individual track selection and track skipping. I believe there is the SL-15 and the QL-15 that allow this, and perhaps even allow programming.

I have an SL-5 in the bedroom and it's working quite well. I also have a SL-QL1 on the way for the basement AV system.

Keep the SL-QL1, is one of the better sounding ones because of it's construction.

Ranking would be more or less...
#1 SL-M3
#2 SL-15 and SL-10
#3 SL-7, SL-QL1
#4 SL-5
#5 SL-3 and all the similar ones (belt drive)

Dear Sir:

Do you have a User Manual for Technics SL-Q6? I so, would you mind scanning it into PDF, then Uploading here?
Thanks. needed.
Sincerely, Donald

Keep the SL-QL1, is one of the better sounding ones because of it's construction.

Ranking would be more or less...
#1 SL-M3
#2 SL-15 and SL-10
#3 SL-7, SL-QL1
#4 SL-5
#5 SL-3 and all the similar ones (belt drive)
Don't forget the SL DL1. It's pretty decent too. Thanks for the ranking though.

Back
Top Bottom