Technics SL-1200 series as an audiophile turntable?

From where I sit, the biggest weakness in the 1200 is the arm. However, there is a good conversion kit available to allow a bolt on swap to a Rega. I am sure a 1200 with a good Rega arm would be a killer sounding table.

"Biggest Weakness".... ???? Gotta disagree on this one. The stock tonearm on the Technics is beautifully designed and performs flawlessly. Aside from the unwarranted expense, putting a Rega tonearm on the SL-1200 would be a step backwards, IMO. For example, the Rega design does not allow for interchangeable headshells. This is a huge disadvantage if one wants to swap out different cartridges frequently. The Technics tonearm also offers adjustable VTA on-the-fly (if done carefully), a great feature for the obsessive tweakers among us.

My SL-1200 arrived with the Cardas tonearm wire modification, so I never had a chance to do an A-B comparison with the stock wiring. However, do a little research on this and other forums, and you'll read about guys who made this modification and noticed an improvement. The KAB tonearm dampener for the SL1200 tonearm offers an improvement in sound and tracking ability. I can attest to this based on personal experience, having installed this option myself.

With two relatively inexpensive modifications, the Technics tonearm is an excellent performer. Installing a Rega tonearm on the Technics would be akin to a guy pulling the 289 V8 out of his classic Mustang to drop a Chevy small block into it..... Why bother?

If I were to replace the tonearm on my Technics, I'd be looking at a high-end linear tracking tonearm.

I have to agree with the arm being the biggest weakness... I love my 1200, and it sounds much better than any other table I've run through my system, but the arm to me is it's fall down....

It picks up too much noise. Even handling the arm lightly picks up noise, I can run my finger along it or very lightly tap it and it picks up the vibrations. I wished there was a way I could damp it some...

As far as the weight of the table, it all comes from the bottom half of the table. A very thick and heavy piece of rubber...

My VTA was stuck when I got mine. I finally got so tired of it that I decided to tear it apart. Either fix it or break it. I have to say, I have a lot of respect for the table now that I've seen it apart. That big bit of rubber Similost was talking about is an impressive looking molded thing. It really does a great job of getting resonance under control. Every part of that thing is build well.

By the way, I did get it fixed and back togeter. Whew. Not a small project. I may do it again to paint the top of it. It's a bit beat up.

Take care,

Ed

They make some cool covers that drop right over the top and change the looks drastically.. although not real cheap..

I have to agree with the arm being the biggest weakness... I love my 1200, and it sounds much better than any other table I've run through my system, but the arm to me is it's fall down....

It picks up too much noise. Even handling the arm lightly picks up noise, I can run my finger along it or very lightly tap it and it picks up the vibrations. I wished there was a way I could damp it some...

As far as the weight of the table, it all comes from the bottom half of the table. A very thick and heavy piece of rubber...

Why not dampen the arm with some heat shrink tubing or plumbers tape.
Plus if you change out the stock cables to ones with better shielding you'd notice a BIG difference.

Well, another way of looking at it is that the construction, design and execution of my Technics 1210 M5G's base and drive system is so otherworldly remarkable that the tonearm construction, very good as it is, pales by comparison. :D

Yes, I use the 1210 as my main deck and I don't think that I could do a lot better FOR THE MONEY. There's no question that there are better turntables out there. I just didn't have the extra $2000 - $3000 that it would likely take to best the Technics.

Your Shure M97ex is a fine cartridge. However, the Technics will do wonderful things with cartridges that are even higher up the ladder. The 1200 series is certainly a worthy table, capable of making GREAT music.

I want to scream every time someone says the weak point on the 1200 series or 16 17 or 1800MKII series is the arm. I wonder how many people have actually tore one down to see just how well there designed. If the arm is so bad then why after more than 20 years does Technics still manufacture them. Plus once you rewire one and up grade the cables they sound wonderful. I just had my 1800MKII rewired and added Belden cables. All I can say is best money I've ever spent on audio. And as to compare it to the regas from the people I know who's opinions I trust tell me the Regas are highly over rated. Plus they need upgrades to really shine.
I just don't get it.

And I just don't get why it is considered sacrilege to state that there is maybe a better arm available for the 1200 than the one they put on at the factory. Almost ANY table can be improved with a better arm. Why should the 1200 be different?
A little perspective here too. A new RB301 (which I have not seen an adapter for for the 1200, but is basically just an improved RB300) costs more than an entire 1200 does.
Saying that the 1200 can be improved with a better arm is NOT a slam against the 1200. The 1200 is arguably the best bang for the buck TT available today. However, it is not perfect. Kevin from KAB has made a nice living in selling improvements for it. The Rega arm swap, just like the strobe defeat, or fluid damper or external power supply, is just another improvement that can be made to it. It all depends on what your goals are and how much money you want to spend.
Yes, the arm on the 1200 works well. Yes, with some mods and improvements, it can be made to sound pretty darn good. But it is no slight against the 1200 to suggest there are better options out there. Just the opposite is the case. It shows that the 1200 is so fundamentally good that it can support a better arm.

Well, another way of looking at it is that the construction, design and execution of my Technics 1210 M5G's base and drive system is so otherworldly remarkable that the tonearm construction, very good as it is, pales by comparison. :D

I'll buy that for a dollar :thmbsp:

You have 30+ turntables??? That is a lot. Any good ones in your inventory?

There's a few I like and think are pretty decent.

Luxman PD272, PD284
Rotel RP1010, RP2400
Pioneer PLA-35, PLA-41
and of course my Thorens TD124 w/Rek-o-Kut arm and a GE VR2 cart.

I did just pick up a Linn/Sondek LP-12 w/ a Basik LV-X arm and a Linn K5 cart.
Doesn't run, Haven't diagnosed, Will save details for another thread.

Sorry for going off topic.

Regards.
John

I have a 1210 and agree the arm does not quite measure up to the rest of the turntable, although dampening does help. I use Kevin's KAB fluid damper with excellent results. The teflon tape made no difference for me but I do plan to try Herbies Halo Jr treatment.

Yes, it is an audiophile turntable. It was originally designed for just that back in 1972. It's such a solid performer that disco DJ's began using them in clubs. In 1979, Technics brought us the SL-1200 MK II and added features the DJ crowd wanted. I am now the proud owner of my own used and nice 1200 Mk II. I use an Audio-Technica AT95e and occasionally a Stanton 681 EEE-S II on it. The best sanely priced audiophile table you can buy and built to last forever with care.

I got a 1200 M3D from my nephew last month, he had DJ'd several years back and had a couple just sitting around, so he gave me one of them. I had always wanted a 1200and so far I am very happy with it. I love the powerful motor and how fast it gets up to speed, the easy VTA adjustment and quick cartridge headshell switching ability. It is definitely a solid piece of equipment made for heavy duty use!!

The 1200s and it's dirivatives are fine tables.

I have nothing against the Pro-jects, Duals, Regas, ARs and other belt drives- I just have a thing for the Japanese Direct Drives.

And the 1200 is iconoclastic.

I have one with an SME arm I'm fixing, a stocker on the way, and the semi-auto so-1710 jk II. I owned, and miss the SL-1300 and 1700 non-mk IIs.

A few tweaks from KAB, or your own, or even a tone arm swap (though the technics arm is well designed) can only (usually) make it better.

I personally find the technics tables to be fantastic performers, better than great sounding, and reliable as all get-out.

I have only one table. and i forever will have just ONE table.

that table is a Technics SL-1200MK5 with a AT-440MLa cart. this will be the last table i ever own. its got to say something that this table has remained mechanically the same for what, 30 years? just DJ features like pitch sliders that i don't even use have been added. but its still the same turntable over all these years, and probably the most widely used. this thing is literally a bullet proof tank. rock solid pitch, i can get the bass going so crazy that i can feel it in the floor, i touch the top of my table i feel the vibrations, i touch the top of the Technics thats on that table and you know what i feel....NOTHING i can jump in the room and it won't skip a beat.

and ontop of all that, it sounds fantastic!!!!! the motor is dead quiet!!

Tecnhics is following the age old rule "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

I had a SL-1200mk2 and sold it awhile back. Recently picked up a near mint SL-1400 and I LOVE it. Well made and sounds very nice to my ears.

After many conversations here at AK, I opted to buy a SL 1200 MKII with an Ortofon Red. I am not an audiophile, just like listening to vinyl. It suits my needs and music sounds wonderful to me. It was easy to setup. I haven't done any upgrades or tweaks, that may come later. As long as I am enjoying it, there is no need for me to upgrade. Good value in my mind.

I know, but they're a little, oh, I don't know. Cheesy? Wish they just made like a black one.

Isn't that the SL-1210M5G ??? I was looking at the 1200 and then saw the SL-1210M5G and thought it would be better. Can you guys please comment so we have it here too!!
Please and Thank You!

I've lusted for an SL1200 since I first laid my eyes on one in the 70's. I've gone through a few belt-drive units since those days (Pioneer, Sansui). They were good to me, but I still wanted that SL1200!

Finally got sick of broken TT's and launched a search party to find a good Technics. Found a beauty the same day at a pawn shop. That was about a year ago and my enjoyment of vinyl has returned :banana::music::yes:

Sure, there are better TT's out there but I have no interest in upgrading. I'd rather spend any $$$ on a tube preamp or something else.

I LOVE it!

Rick

Back
Top Bottom