Technics SL-1200G Speed and Wow and Flutter Issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure how this comment is relevant to anything going on here other than you taking a shot at someone.
But there are far more electronic parts present in the Technics, which is likely where the issue lies with this specific table.

Right, perhaps something was jostled during shipping. Or, and not to accuse, but what if they original owner attempted some goofy modification like adding a KAB strobe disabling switch - a mod designed for the original SL-12X0's ? I'd look carefully at screws to see if there is any evidence that they've been backed out. If so, then I'd ask for $$ back outright.

So, I have filed a case with PayPal for resolution. What I expect to happen is -

1. I will return the turntable to the original purchaser for a refund.

2. He will get it fixed under warranty.

Yes it does indeed! The seller has not balked - at least not yet. I just opened the case recently. I have been attempting to resolve this with Technics because I was led to believe the warranty is transferable. I have kept him informed on my efforts to resolve this with Technics.

Highlighted quotes above leads me to believe the ebay seller is the original owner

But maybe not :dunno:

Your just not sure what happened to that table since bought new. It's hard for me to believe that it left the factory like that. But it's possible. I own a 1200G and couldn't be happier. How much money did the OP save buying used? Is it worth spending a few bucks to have it fixed? Or send it back if you can. It has been over a month.

Your just not sure what happened to that table since bought new. It's hard for me to believe that it left the factory like that. But it's possible. I own a 1200G and couldn't be happier. How much money did the OP save buying used? Is it worth spending a few bucks to have it fixed? Or send it back if you can. It has been over a month.

I wanted one of the original collector's editions is the reason why I purchased used. The seller seemed to be a stand up guy and claims he sold it because he was getting married. If I had it to do over again, I would have just bought a new one.

^I don't agree that Technics or a dealer "owes" the purchaser any service as they say warranty is not transferable. It would be nice if they helped but they have no obligation. Looks like the dealer was wrong in that regard. The original receipt is also required according to the document.

Maybe the original owner does have some onus of compensation depending on his representation of the product but that's a different matter.

Yes. Legally, Technics has no responsibility to me whatsoever. But, considering the original owner IS going to have it repaired under warranty as is his right, refusal to help seems kinda of silly at this point. Common sense is in short supply these days, though.

I can’t speak for Technics, but from personal experience, the realties of being, or being in, a big business can often mean your desire to do whatever you can for a customer is oft overruled by the realities of setting precedent, and the exposure and liability of doing so.

Sadly, this is very true. Going above and beyond to help a long-time customer should be a no-brainer. (IMHO)

I could understand the concern for setting precedent if the turntable was beyond it's warranty period. The precedent that is being set here is for potential customers of second hand SL-1200GAEs, and 1200Gs. They can expect no warranty support even if the turntable is only a few days old. In my mind that is not a great precedent to set for such an expensive item.

Yes. Legally, Technics has no responsibility to me whatsoever. But, considering the original owner IS going to have it repaired under warranty as is his right, refusal to help seems kinda of silly at this point. Common sense is in short supply these days, though.

I was a district manager for a German car company for years. We were constantly covering costs of repairs on cars that were technically no longer under warranty - we didn't worry so much about setting a precedent. It depended on the circumstance, and the "recoverability" of the customer's loyalty. If the customer was a lost cause loyalty-wise (e.,g they made it clear "I'll never buy one of your cars again!!"), then we would be less inclined. But if the customer was someone who would continue to be loyal, then we'd either cover it or offer to split the cost. ..Other considerations included how "far" out of warranty and whether it was purchased new or used (we'd still contribute but perhaps less...

It might be worth your while to ask your nearest Technics dealer (one who sells the "G") to have their Technics rep give you a call. If you can pull him/her into the dialogue it will be very difficult for them to do nothing for you. ...That is, of course, if you don't end up simply returning it for a refund to your seller.

Last edited:
Sadly, this is very true. Going above and beyond to help a long-time customer should be a no-brainer. (IMHO)

I could understand the concern for setting precedent if the turntable was beyond it's warranty period. The precedent that is being set here is for potential customers of second hand SL-1200GAEs, and 1200Gs. They can expect no warranty support even if the turntable is only a few days old. In my mind that is not a great precedent to set for such an expensive item.
Bingo

Tough situation for sure! I understand the non transferable warranty part, many companies do this. I understand (to a degree) Technics not putting much time into this.
After all, that is why (well.., one why) these companies have authorized dealers.
What I am unclear about is who @Decibel_116 actually bought the table from as there is mention of a dealer and a seller.
Was the dealer a third party that handled the sell? Or was this an online sell from a private party and the dealer became involved when the issue was discovered?
I'm so confused!

@Decibel_116 can choose to go ahead a pay to have it fix if he really likes the table and got a fair deal. That is one of his options.

Another is to send it back and get his money back. Which is probably his best option. As far as the original buyer then sending it back, he might not have a legal right to get warrantee as he has sold it, and since Technics has been notified and probably has the serial number of said unit in their system his options might not be what many people here think. Most warrantee policies have fine print that allow do give a manufacture the right to make such decisions. All I know is if I was the original seller just like the OP I would be a bit concerned.

As far as Technics being trouble free, its a new product, many new products have issues, even by the best of manufactures. Their are so many products with recalls it shows how manufactures marketing departments try to release goods even before the manufacturing departments are ready. I have worked as a technician before and seen how products were released with the manufacture knowing full well of their being many problems. The dealers get the customers bringing in the products and your given the same crappy part that breaks to replace the one that just broke. Their R & D department scrambles to hurry up and try to find a permeant fix for the problem and the customer and the dealer gets stuck having to deal with it till the problem is resolved.

I wish the best for the OP, good luck!

Last edited:
Tough situation for sure! I understand the non transferable warranty part, many companies do this. I understand (to a degree) Technics not putting much time into this.
After all, that is why (well.., one why) these companies have authorized dealers.

I'm less forgiving. ..This is supposed to be a highly collectible Limited Edition model, replete with production number engraved on the plinth. It's value as a collectible comes from the fact that there will always be people interested in buying it used. ..But who will want to buy a used one if they aren't readily serviceable??

Yes, Technics Warranty coverage applying to original owners only is fairly typical. ..But being uncooperative in helping a subsequent owner get their unit serviced is not. This would disappoint me if I owned one of these tables. But again, maybe the OP's experience with all this isn't typical.

I'm less forgiving. ..This is supposed to be a highly collectible Limited Edition model, replete with production number engraved on the plinth. It's value as a collectible comes from the fact that there will always be people interested in buying it used. ..But who will want to buy a used one if they aren't readily serviceable??

Yes, Technics Warranty coverage applying to original owners only is fairly typical. ..But being uncooperative in helping a subsequent owner get their unit serviced is not. This would disappoint me if I owned one of these tables. But again, maybe the OP's experience with all this isn't typical.

In this case, how forgiving you are, how collectable this model is, and who will buy an item like this, has no worth to the OP in this matter. Seems his options are limited to that which he has posted, He will have to make a decision based on those options.

Well if a 1200 in factory packaging can't take one ride in a truck. It's not the same 1200 that gave it a rep for it's ruggedness and dependability for DJ use.

Ridiculously speculative. I have a new SL-1210GR and it is incredibly robust, no reason to think this isn't as well. We have no idea what's wrong with it or how it happened.

What I am unclear about is who @Decibel_116 actually bought the table from as there is mention of a dealer and a seller.
Was the dealer a third party that handled the sell? Or was this an online sell from a private party and the dealer became involved when the issue was discovered?
I'm so confused!

To answer your question, I purchased the turntable from the original purchaser who purchased it from an authorized dealer. The ad was posted on an audiophile forum which has classified listings (not AK). Part of the original deal was that I would be provided a copy of the original sales receipt so that I could transfer the remainder of the 3-year warranty. He contacted the dealer and requested the receipt. He also provided me with the dealer (company) name and salesman's name, phone number and email address. It took a few weeks to get the receipt. I had to call two times and send two emails, but finally received it. I contacted Technics customer support subsequent to that.

The dealer has not provided any support yet in regard to this issue, nor does he seem interested whatsoever. I have not published names as of yet because I want to provide plenty of opportunity for the dealer and Technics to help before I start pointing fingers and providing specifics.

Well if a 1200 in factory packaging can't take one ride in a truck. It's not the same 1200 that gave it a rep for it's ruggedness and dependability for DJ use.

As a side note, it was packed in the original box and packing materials. In addition, it was enclosed in another box and the another box with additional padding. I would call it triple boxing plus. It was well protected and marked with orientation arrows and fragile warning. I cannot complain about the packing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom